• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

belt-buckles

whitelighter27

Reaction score
For some reason belts in department stores today have huge, heavy buckles. I used to be able to find ones with buckles that were light-weight, simple and elegant. The belt I bought recently though, didn't fare too well (see picture). Not to mention these new buckles are ugly. Does anyone know why they've started making this way, and whose idea it was? Also, can I find ones like they used to make?

Attachments

• 20201220_125920.jpg
    20201220_125920.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 30

adrianvo

Reaction score
For some reason belts in department stores today have huge, heavy buckles. I used to be able to find ones with buckles that were light-weight, simple and elegant. The belt I bought recently though, didn't fare too well (see picture). Not to mention these new buckles are ugly. Does anyone know why they've started making this way, and whose idea it was? Also, can I find ones like they used to make?
I recommend taking a look at western belts, they usually have a more classic design and smaller buckles:
200819-sartorial-western-belts-cover_1024x1024.jpg

I guess it depends on your own subjective taste, but I like 'em.

I don't think you'll find a good answer to why the fashion industry makes certain decisions. I don't think it's supposed to make sense, most of the time.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Equus makes nice belts with a range of buckles.

As far as the oversized buckles. Been trending upwards for a while. Its much like watches - so many huge ones now that look ridiculous.

People want prominent accessories. They think it helps them "stand out."

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
About ten years ago, I bought a few belts from Brooks Brothers. I think they were $150 at full retail and $100-ish on sale. In my experience, the quality of their belts is really good, but the company has also fallen on hard times in the last six years. I'm not as confident about recommending them anymore, but you may want to check there.

Department stores don't generally sell nice things anymore, so that goes for belts as well.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The problem isn't the buckle, it's the cheap belt. After all, the buckles shown here are really just sized for the belt - it's not like they're unnecessarily wide or thick. I have AE and Equus belts and others and they're not narrower than what you posted. They don't have the metal keeper and, if you notice on the other belts how a quality belt attaches to the buckle vs the belt you showed.
Tim Hardy is another English company - not as many options as Equus but still bridle leather and just as well made at a better cost.

TheChihuahua

Reaction score

spend the money on a proper belt. Allen Edmonds belts are solid.

my favorite these days is Brookes and Hyde from Cincinnati. Reasonable prices and good quality. I just ordered my 4th belt from them.
They use a rivet to fasten a piece of leather around the base of the buckle.
My Allen Edmonds stitches that leather piece, and it’s still nice. I like the rivet as a personal preference, sort of a reminder that it’s well made when you see it, and provides a little give/turn as you wear it throughout the day.

https://brookesandhyde.com/

817038A2-B66E-4DB0-AC63-15591E91A9D4.jpeg
EF2DA155-187E-42FC-91B3-21237A776758.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads