1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Belstaff waxed jackets: Roadmaster vs Redford

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by zeroize, Dec 12, 2009.

1. zeroize

zeroize Well-Known Member

jacket speaks for itself. just fucking buy it already.

It fits you fine, but is that the right length for a 3/4, or is it one inch shorter? When wearing my size (perfect long sleeve) the jacket ends where the legs spread (so closed length is like yours opened, one inch longer). Do you get any wrinkles on the back due to the excess of fabric (especially when wearing the belt)? When I tried it on, the front looked tight and perfect like yours, but the back has a couple of big folds.

When I see some belstaff models wearing it It seems they choose a smaller size than needed, like in this picture (dude on the left):

[​IMG]

2. zeroize

On the other hand, this other one is wearing a Redford in a normal proper size for him. I think the problem is people trying to wear a 3/4 long jacket like a waist short jacket.

[​IMG]

3. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

I like my Roadmaster but it's surprisingly not very warm condsidering how heavy it is.

yea I found this to be the case with my Barbour Intl too. Not a warm jacket, but it's good in the rain as it's very waterproof, but if you want to be warm you need some layers under it.

4. dave

dave Senior member

Neither jacket is what i would reach for in order to keep warm. Dry, yes. Warm, no. I am getting the fur liner for my International though. the Belstaff I have is the trialmaster and it's form the late 60s early 70s (dad doesn't remember for sure) but it still looks just as good or better now than it did when mydad wore it when it was new.

for me, i prefer the Barbour. It just fits my frame better.

5. zeroize

Ia this the right fit then or tighter?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. sq4you

sq4you Senior member

^ u go any tighter on that jacket and it will start look ridiculous.
    that's pretty much how i wear mine. maybe if u were REALLY cold u could tighten the belt one more notch.

i just noticed the guy in the pic has it on notch 1. i normally wear mine on notch 2 to get the same look.

7. zeroize

^ u go any tighter on that jacket and it will start look ridiculous.
    that's pretty much how i wear mine. maybe if u were REALLY cold u could tighten the belt one more notch.

i just noticed the guy in the pic has it on notch 1. i normally wear mine on notch 2 to get the same look.

This is how the owner's son (and creative director) wears it. Is this a Roadmaster?

[​IMG]

8. sq4you

sq4you Senior member

the wearer's top left pocket appears to be angled, making me think that may be the Che Guevara or Trialmaster models. Who knows. if its the owners son i'm sure he got it own custom edition.

it could be a derivation of any of these:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. heprof

heprof Active Member

Looks like the son is wearing the 'Legend' model, which Will Smith wore in the movie. This one tends to be a little longer, and does not have the Bellstaff logo or the union jack on the front top pockets.

Mine is the 'Che' version, which has an angled pocket but is not quite as waxy as the 'Legend' and uses a material called Millerain:

[​IMG]

10. zeroize

11. clausc

clausc Senior member

I have two Barbour jackets, but I always prefered the Belstaff models, which I could never find on sale :-(

I received an email today announcing the sales at MatchesFashion.com. They have a few Belstaff jackets on sale, not exactly the ones you are looking for.
    http://www.matchesfashion.com/fcp/ca...atitle_keyword

Best deal the 'Brad' in leather Was £968.00 Now £488.00
    [​IMG]

Parka Was £608.00 Now £398.00
    [​IMG]

Short jacket (?) Was £338.00 Now £238.00
    [​IMG]

12. VikingsFan82

VikingsFan82 Senior member

I agree that Belstaff's are ugly. I don't care if Steve McQueen loved his.

The leather one look very S&Mish/Gothic. Or straight out of "The Matrix" (not in a good way)

The front pockets and waist belt are atrocious. And the collar strap. Way over-designed.

13. dave

dave Senior member

...Way over-designed.

Purpose designed, not over-designed. they're made to keep you dry and they do. that's what all the gadgets are for. Like them or not, they work.

14. Beetleything

Beetleything Senior member

NEITHER!!!

Your all a buncha pussies.

The original was a Barbour International -- that's the one to get!!

15. VikingsFan82

Purpose designed, not over-designed. they're made to keep you dry and they do. that's what all the gadgets are for. Like them or not, they work.

What purpose does the belt, neck buckle, and 4 huge pockets serve the average person? They look terrible and serve a minimal purpose

I'm sure they keep you dry, but their water resistant quality has nothing to do with my statement

16. dave

dave Senior member

What purpose does the belt, neck buckle, and 4 huge pockets serve the average person? They look terrible and serve a minimal purpose

I'm sure they keep you dry, but their water resistant quality has nothing to do with my statement

your blanket statement was that it is overdesigned. that is false. the belt holds the jacket tight to your body for both warmth and so it doesn't get hung up on stray limbs when riding. Even if you're not riding, you will still want the jacket close to you to keep you warm.

The pockets hold a myriad of things like maps, water, small tools etc. when riding but could easily hold car keys wallets and cell phones in everyday wear. and the throat latch will close the collar in the cold. you ever get cold? I do.

If you don't like it that's a subjective matter of opinion. the fact that they all work as designed is not. If you can't figure out how to use the parts then don't buy one. simple. just don't shit on people who can.

17. VikingsFan82

your blanket statement was that it is overdesigned. that is false. the belt holds the jacket tight to your body for both warmth and so it doesn't get hung up on stray limbs when riding. Even if you're not riding, you will still want the jacket close to you to keep you warm. The pockets hold a myriad of things like maps, water, small tools etc. when riding but could easily hold car keys wallets and cell phones in everyday wear. and the throat latch will close the collar in the cold. you ever get cold? I do. If you don't like it that's a subjective matter of opinion. the fact that they all work as designed is not. If you can't figure out how to use the parts then don't buy one. simple. just don't shit on people who can.
    Over-designed for the AVERAGE PERSON, not a motorcycle rider who needs a lot of space for personal items on his body. Belt? Sorry, I think a trimmer cut jacket (Belstaff's are bulky) in a thick material WITHOUT a belt would do a better job at keeping you warm. The reason the Belstaff needs a belt is because its bulk doesn't trap air very well. Average people don't need 4 pockets either. They're fugly, so there's no real benefit. Yes, I'm sure the construction is great, but the jackets are ugly.

18. Racing Green

Racing Green Senior member

the jackets are ugly.

Word of advice, don't ever go to Italy. The amount of people there dressed 'ugly' would only distress you.

19. Matt

Matt Senior member

i dont think this guy will ever buy a jacket

20. gawkrodger

gawkrodger Senior member

I'm a big Belstaff fan.

I've actually owned both jackets in the OP and I'd recommend the Redford. It's slightly different and surprisingly warm. Definetly not a jacket for summer!

Here's a WAYWT post of me wearing it. I'm 5ft 10", 68kgs and wearing a small

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.