1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Belstaff waxed jackets: Roadmaster vs Redford

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by zeroize, Dec 12, 2009.

1. robinsongreen68

robinsongreen68 Senior member

2. zeroize

zeroize Well-Known Member

in london belstaffs are a bit played out as there was a huge fad for them around 5 years ago.
    oh and not everyone wearing a barbour is some j crew idiot

http://www.myboxfresh.com/wp-content...al-vfest08.jpg

Who is the girl?

3. imhotep

imhotep Senior member

Who is the girl?

+1 [​IMG]

4. amnesiac

amnesiac Senior member

oh and not everyone wearing a barbour is some j crew idiot

I missed the part where I said everyone was? I said the people I see around me these days, in New York City, tend to look like they got them just because J. Crew started pushing them. J. Crew started pushing them because fashionable people started wearing them, or maybe because Sartorialist shot so many of them, who knows.

As with anything 'classic,' there's always going to be people who've always worn them and others who just started. It really doesn't matter, just wear it and wear it well.

I still stand behind the quilted one, though only if you need the quilting.

Who is the girl?

Her name is in the file name. It's Alexa Chung and she looks better than McQueen in that International.

5. towen

towen Member

I once heard a story that may or may not be true:

Joe DiMaggio once stayed home instead of going to Marilyn Monroe's house to bang her, so he could rewax his Belstaff jacket.

It was Steve McQueen.

I own the Roadmaster and I love it. I don't really love the look of the Redford, but its not terrible.

6. zeroize

It was Steve McQueen.

I own the Roadmaster and I love it. I don't really love the look of the Redford, but its not terrible.

How much does it cost to have the jacket rewaxed? And a wax can to do it yourself?

I think Steve McQueen had enough money to pay someone to do that staff...

7. Gutman

Gutman Senior member

Quite liking the padded Redford myself. I can't imagine Barbour jackets looking like this - Barbour is country wear, looser in its fit and generally longer too. The Belstaff is for riding so it needs to be fitted. Much cooler, as long as you yourself a cool of couse. The padded is a little more rugged looking perhaps, so factor that in depending on what style you have.

8. Gutman

Gutman Senior member

How much does it cost to have the jacket rewaxed? And a wax can to do it yourself?

I think Steve McQueen had enough money to pay someone to do that staff...

You rewax yourself. would you get somone else to clean your guns? man's gotta look after his own stuff. buy a tub of wax, find somewhere warm (in the sun is good, so the oilskin loosens up and the wax works in easier) and get to work. it takes a while, and be generous with the wax otherwise you don't get an even finish. the better oilskins don't carry the lining down too close to the hem / cuff, because all oilskin shrinks a bit overtime, especially if it gets badly waterlogged for a few days. i think rewaxing probably shrinks it up a bit too, but not 100% sure on that.

9. Wu Dynasty

Wu Dynasty Senior member

All classic Belstaff winter biker jackets look almost the same, with the 4 pockets in the front. Same look for at least the last 50 years. So you like them or you don't, but they are not "particularly ugly", the are like the rest. Check the catalogue -> http://www.belstaff.com/index.php?op...k=1&Itemid=456 Steve Mcqueen wearing a Belstaff waxed jacket. [​IMG] Will Smith, wearing same Belstaff waxed jacket in "I am Legend" [​IMG] Che Gevara wore one too in his motorbike trip along Southamerica.
    If I recall correctly, in that particular Steve Mcqueen picture, Steve is wearing a Barbour International, though he was known to be a big fan of Belstaff. Also, the jacket Will Smith wore in I Am Legend is a Belstaff Trialmaster, not a Roadmaster.

10. gin8u

gin8u Well-Known Member

Both retail for the same, 500-550€, but you can get them chepaer. Since it's a kind of jacket that does not get old fashioned you can always wait for season clearance and pay about 300€.

I noticed J crew has an olive-colored Belstaff jacket, which retails for a bit more than the 300€ sale price. Should one be staying away from the J Crew version and buy directly online, despite living in Canada?

11. zeroize

If I recall correctly, in that particular Steve Mcqueen picture, Steve is wearing a Barbour International, though he was known to be a big fan of Belstaff. Also, the jacket Will Smith wore in I Am Legend is a Belstaff Trialmaster, not a Roadmaster.

I know, it's a similar jacket to the roadmaster, just longer. The picture was to ilustrate how it really looks the the same waxed fabric. I'm pretty sure a lot of people watched that movie and thought the jacket was cool or at least they didn't hated it like in this thread.

12. zeroize

I noticed J crew has an olive-colored Belstaff jacket, which retails for a bit more than the 300€ sale price. Should one be staying away from the J Crew version and buy directly online, despite living in Canada?

What model is it? Link?

13. sq4you

sq4you Senior member

Belstaff Roadmaster on JCrew Its the same jacket as you can get elsewhere. I believe I heard recently that JCrew is not going to be selling the Belstaff's anymore. I can't remember the reason why. I think it had to do with some legal issues. They sell them in certain JCrew stores (like in NY) and on the website. If i remember correctly, they had four available (Road Master, Che Guevara, Trial or Trail master, and a 4th one). Roadmaster was the least expensive if i recall. They have (or had?) women's belstaff's too. Unless you find a price discrepancy, there's no reason you should order from another site over jcrew i think?

14. zeroize

Belstaff Roadmaster on JCrew

Its the same jacket as you can get elsewhere. I believe I heard recently that JCrew is not going to be selling the Belstaff's anymore. I can't remember the reason why. I think it had to do with some legal issues. They sell them in certain JCrew stores (like in NY) and on the website. If i remember correctly, they had four available (Road Master, Che Guevara, Trial or Trail master, and a 4th one). Roadmaster was the least expensive if i recall.

They have (or had?) women's belstaff's too.

Unless you find a price discrepancy, there's no reason you should order from another site over jcrew i think?

There is a thread about a j crew Belstaff clearance. Maybe they don't sell that much and they want to get rid of the brand -> http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=153751

Anyway, they don't ship to Europe, I can't order anything.

15. gin8u

gin8u Well-Known Member

16. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Contrary to the fine print, the current 30% off J Crew SNOWMAN code seems to be working on the Belstaff and other non J Crew stuff.

Also, Milan Clothing in the UK has Belstaff 20% off (BELSTAFF20).
    Warning about Milan though. Last order (PS boots) from them took almost a month to arrive and the box was demolished. UK Postal strike didn't help either. At least I didn't get dinged with customs.

I like my Roadmaster but it's surprisingly not very warm condsidering how heavy it is.
    Of course we've had freakishly cold and dry for Seattle sub-freezing weather for the last week.
    For usual rainy mid 40's Seattle weather it's perfect.

17. zeroize

Contrary to the fine print, the current 30% off J Crew SNOWMAN code seems to be working on the Belstaff and other non J Crew stuff.

Also, Milan Clothing in the UK has Belstaff 20% off (BELSTAFF20).
    Warning about Milan though. Last order (PS boots) from them took almost a month to arrive and the box was demolished. UK Postal strike didn't help either. At least I didn't get dinged with customs.

I like my Roadmaster but it's surprisingly not very warm condsidering how heavy it is.
    Of course we've had freakishly cold and dry for Seattle sub-freezing weather for the last week.
    For usual rainy mid 40's Seattle weather it's perfect.

The roadmaster costs 416€ and the redford 444€ (without the 20%). I think that's because how cheap the pound is since last year, 1L = 0,9€. I'll wait until 25 Dec sales anyway.

Do you wear this kind of jacket using the belt or you just leave it on the back?

18. warrengharding

warrengharding Well-Known Member

Ordered the Roadmaster off of Jcrew using the snowman code. The pictures make it look black but the color is described as "belstaff olive". Anyone seen one in person and have an idea what the color is like? I'd rather have a dark brown/olive color than pure black but I guess I can send it back if it doesn't appeal to me.

19. zeroize

Ordered the Roadmaster off of Jcrew using the snowman code. The pictures make it look black but the color is described as "belstaff olive". Anyone seen one in person and have an idea what the color is like? I'd rather have a dark brown/olive color than pure black but I guess I can send it back if it doesn't appeal to me.

It's a dark greenish brown. I've seen it in person and I like it. I fact I think I prefer it over the black or blue.

20. sq4you

sq4you Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    jacket speaks for itself. just fucking buy it already.

1 person likes this.