• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Belstaff from eBay - real or fake?

agp

Reaction score
I bought this Belstaff Roadmaster from eBay recently, but I can't tell if it's real or fake. The jacket outside feels very cheap and plasticky, but the inside is warm, and the pocket liners are suedey and soft... Can you tell from the pics if the jacket is real?

agp

Reaction score
Bump, anyone? And Belstaff calls this a waxed cotton jacket, but it's not waxed. The outer shell feels like nylon/polyester. Will waxing it achieve the waxed cotton look?

MickeyPunch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm definitely not an expert on Belstaff but if it says made in Italy chances are it's real.

I read somewhere that even if they fake everything else, they can't do that with the 'made in' tag for some reason (items not allowed to be exported? fine could be huge?). And most fakes are obviously made in China/India/Thailand, definitely not Italy.

Obviously the seller could have replaced the tag, though...

Last edited:

agp

Reaction score
I don't know... All fake watches say "Swiss Made" on them.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I tend to say it's real. The snaps on the pocket in the 2nd pic aren't on straight but they've got Belstaff-Belstaff engraved on them.
I was also going to point out how the label in the 6th pic is different. Mine says A Genuine Product/English Made & Designed/Since 1924 (which I've always thought a bit shady since it was made in Italy). But then I just pulled out a different Belstaff of mine and it has the label like the one in your pic.

I'm not sure why you say it's not waxed cotton though. The finish looks the same as mine. There are all kinds of different waxed cotton finishes ranging from barely waxed to plasticy smooth.
Does it have a sort of funky smell?

OzzyJones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like the lighter weight version of mine. I thought that was fake and I bought it from a Belstaff shop!!

agp

Reaction score

I tend to say it's real. The snaps on the pocket in the 2nd pic aren't on straight but they've got Belstaff-Belstaff engraved on them.
I was also going to point out how the label in the 6th pic is different. Mine says A Genuine Product/English Made & Designed/Since 1924 (which I've always thought a bit shady since it was made in Italy). But then I just pulled out a different Belstaff of mine and it has the label like the one in your pic.

I'm not sure why you say it's not waxed cotton though. The finish looks the same as mine. There are all kinds of different waxed cotton finishes ranging from barely waxed to plasticy smooth.

It did when it first got here. The seller listed it as new without tag. Is the smell something new Belstaff jackets tend to have?

I have several and that one looks authentic

Awesome, thank you!

Looks like the lighter weight version of mine. I thought that was fake and I bought it from a Belstaff shop!!

I guess then that's the quality of Belstaff? A bit unjustified for charging so much then... On a separate now, my Billy Reid peacoat is made so well (except the size) it's ridiculous.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

It did when it first got here. The seller listed it as new without tag. Is the smell something new Belstaff jackets tend to have?

Mine is 3 years old and you can still catch a whiff if it gets warm.

OzzyJones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Mine is 3 years old and you can still catch a whiff if it gets warm.

Mine never had the smell. Its more of a dry wax finish which is good in that the wax didn't come off on stuff!
Your labelling is exactly the same as mine so unless mine is fake I'd say that's ligit. Hope you got a good deal. Enjoy!

jikikyle1

Reaction score
The finish looks the same as mine.But i can't you tell from the pics if the jacket is real or not.
baldy[1].gif
shog[1].gif

11.gif

agp

Reaction score
Is it supposed to be waterproof, or should I wax it more?

OzzyJones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When new it should be pretty waterproof. Not tropical deluge proof but not bad. I don't think yours would take more wax atm. I'm just about to relax mine after 2 years. Just wear the damned thing already!

agp

Reaction score
It's still too hot! In a month or two I will wear the sh out of it, then come winter I will wear the sh out of the new Billy Reid peacoat!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads