• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Belstaff Cougar or Brad?

Olivine76

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a Belstaff Brad or a Cougar. I have bee going back and forth between the two for a couple of months now. Any thoughts? Anyone know how these things size? I have a Roadmaster in a small and it firs perfect. I'm. Size 38 short and take a small in almost everything. Perhaps due to my height I may be better off with a Cougar.

NorCal_1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a Large in Roadmaster and an XXL in Brad

the Brad's are very slim fitting

btw, I'm a 42/43 suit size

Last edited:

Geruvah

Reaction score
I own a leather Panther. I'm also a size 38 short, but I'm almost certain I have thicker muscles than you, so I take a medium (fits very well, great movement, and when it gets cold enough, I can fit a sweater in it if need be. It looks great on me so don't say no to the brad based on height.

So at this point it sounds like opinions, not necessarily something like logic. So I'm saying the Cougar because I like the color and think it's more generous with you being able to wear other attention-grabbing elements with it. Jackets like the Panther and the Brad will be the centerpieces and practically demand you stay simple with everything else.

Olivine76

Reaction score
That's a great point about the Brad being the center piece and I do tend to be paranoid about clothes that fall to far below my belt line. But I kind of always thought the Cougar was an attention due to the extra leather on the shoulder and the waist belt. It never occurred to me of how I would pair the either jackets. I suppose this gives me something else to think about in making my decision.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Try a wine bar.

Olivine76

Reaction score
So is it just me or dose the sleeves look really long on both the cougar and the brad? From measurements I have been able to find for the medium brad the arm from shoulder to cuff is 26". ThAt seems awfully long.

Geruvah

Reaction score
If you buy from Belstaff, they'll tailor it. At least from their store. They did for me.

Olivine76

Reaction score
That's awesome...unfortunately there is not a Belstaff store around me, I would have to order on line. I am currently at Osan Air Base Korea, and I would have to find a retailer who ship to an Army Post Office.

hangten

Reaction score
Hey NorCal,

I am an L in the roadmaster and an M in the panther (also in the 44/43/42) range. Do you think you could have fit in an xl brad? I prefer a tighter fit as is.

Olivine76

Reaction score
Well it has been nearly impossible to find a brad or cougar in the color I liked and in my size, so ended up buying the wife a Louis Vuitton purse instead.

Olivine76

Reaction score
Alright so I found an online store that has the antique black cougar, so is the sizing for the cougar the same as the brad or should I go for a small? I hear the cougar runs small.

NorCal_1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey NorCal,
I am an L in the roadmaster and an M in the panther (also in the 44/43/42) range. Do you think you could have fit in an xl brad? I prefer a tighter fit as is.

given the fit of the XXL Brad now, I would say the answer is.... yes

it's such a slim cut that, for me, I went for the slightly larger size so I could fit a sweater or hoodie underneath

just make sure to try it on before buying because while the chest and shoulders would still work sizing down on the Brad, the arms may not - they are very slim, and if you work out at all, the arms will be the problem fit area

btw, it seems to me that the Panther is cut more full (like Trialmaster vs Roadmaster)

Last edited:

Olivine76

Reaction score
Ok, So I ordered a Belstaff Brad in a medium, did I order the right size?
I am 5'8" weight 147 lbs where a 38s jacket but my actual chest is closer to 39.5" and a 29"-30" pants size

Olivine76

Reaction score
Just got my Brad in Medium and it fits perfect! I can wear with a t shirt or a slim fitting sweater. The waist cinching side straps allow me to slim it down when wearing a t shirt.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads