• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Belstaff Bird Logo - fake or real

Lenin

Reaction score
Hi,

I bought a Belstaff jacket, which is of super quality, but I'm not sure if it's real, because of the logo, see picture.

In my internet research, I came across this logo many times, but I'm not sure if this is a real Belstaff logo. Who can help me here?

Attachments

• 20210321_125037.jpg
    20210321_125037.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 106

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That doesn’t look like any Belstaff logo or label I’ve ever seen.

Lenin

Reaction score

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm, but what’s about this website:

well, that’s not Belstaff’s website so I can’t speak with any authority on it.

The cynic in me says this ad is a stalking horse. You’re a counterfeiter putting up a logo to see if it would fool us so you can put your counterfeit merchandise into production. Call me jaded.

if you’re genuine, then take my first reply as is; it’s unlike any belstaff logo I’ve seen.

Lenin

Reaction score
Wow, pretty paranoid!
I bought a jacket with the logo and at the time said half that I address, the logo existed, so for example also the dealer Springfellows.de.

I thought I get here clear facts in one direction or another and did not want to be insulted.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, pretty paranoid!
I bought a jacket with the logo and at the time said half that I address, the logo existed, so for example also the dealer Springfellows.de.

I thought I get here clear facts in one direction or another and did not want to be insulted.
If you're sensitive to insults, you've stopped at the wrong shop...

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, pretty paranoid!

not paranoid. You asked and then when I said I’ve never seen it before you produced a website I’ve never heard of which looks like a private entity and not some official website.

It references an attorney who filed the trademark. Odd given that the brand has been around since 1924 and the Phoenix logo dates back to 1969.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I believe the logo in question is for Pheonix Distribution, a British company that was loosely associated with Belstaff in the 1960s through '90s.

Belstaff was formed in 1924 as a British family-owned company. Like Brooks Brothers, they've changed many hands, each time reforming and becoming a slightly new business under different owners. In 1948, the family that founded the company sold it to James Halstead, a large parent company that owned many labels. One of those labels was Pheonix Distribution, a company that sold and distributed motorcycling accessories such as helmets.

Sometime in the '90s, James Halstead sold Belstaff to an Italian company (who later sold it again). Under the first Italian company, Belstaff moved from making just jackets for motorcycle riders and into the fashion market. When you find really old Belstaff jackets, they will often be very obviously built for motorcycle riding. New jackets have more of a fashion flavor.

I have some old Belstaff catalogs here from the 1980s and '90s. The company's actual and official logo has always stayed the same. (Can post photos of the catalogs over the weekend, if you want). However, some jackets came with this tag. I'm not sure what was the reason for the tag. But those were the Belstaff products distributed through Phoenix.

$_86.png
s-l400.jpeg

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thank you so much! This was the information I hoped to get. Very valuable!

As an aside, if you're digging around for old Belstaff jackets, you can find this model below for a few hundred bucks on eBay. I think it looks pretty good when worn. It's made in the hybrid DR and cafe racer style (in Schott's catalog, the style is colloquially called a "cafecto"). It goes for surprisingly cheap because most people are looking for the modern Italian Belstaff jackets, whereas this is an actual motorcycling piece (although, I think it can be worn off a bike). The jacket below is mine, although I sold it a few years ago.

When searching eBay, just search for "vintage Belstaff leather" and look for this model with the band collar and gusseted side panels. I often see it go for like $300 to $400.

tumblr_mlptzaUy2A1qa2j8co1_1280.jpeg

Lenin

Reaction score
The reason for my question was, I already bought this jacket, see pictures. I paid 350€ and the jacket is really heavy and with pockets for protectors. I bought it for my new BMW R18. The new Belstaff jackets at least the modern ones are very light and I don’t want to have a crash with it. But I don’t know the „Pure Motorcycle” line.

Yes, I’m interested in your old catalogs.Many thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20210321_125119.jpg
    20210321_125119.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 144
  • 20210321_125030.jpg
    20210321_125030.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 152

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The reason for my question was, I already bought this jacket, see pictures. I paid 350€ and the jacket is really heavy and with pockets for protectors. I bought it for my new BMW R18. The new Belstaff jackets at least the modern ones are very light and I don’t want to have a crash with it. But I don’t know the „Pure Motorcycle” line.

Yes, I’m interested in your old catalogs.Many thanks in advance.

Nice jacket! Yes, you can see how the older pre-Italian models were built for actual motorcycle riding, whereas the new ones are more for fashion purposes. If your jacket comes with the Pheonix logo, it was sold through a company that specialized in actual motorcycling equipment.

Migyver

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I've been trying to find any details at all for a Belstaff jacket I picked up at a thrift shop for $10. It sure looked like the real deal moto jacket since it is made of real leather (some perforated to allow for breathing), has the pockets for the elbow, should and back pads. It is also made partially of Keprotec. It has the vest that buttons in for colder riding. I love it and was looking forward to riding with it regardless but I was iking me that I had 0 info on the jacket and the logo was different than anything I've seen for recent Belstaff stuff. Pics attached for your enjoyment.

Attachments

• PXL_20220815_175240072.jpg
    PXL_20220815_175240072.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 418
  • PXL_20220815_175351235.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220815_175351235.MP.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 427

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads