• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Belgian Loafers?

Eli Curt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Bomberos ones look nice. I like how the vamp is longer than B&Ls. But the website says they have "wooden stacked heels." I'm sure they're leather, but when a company makes that big of a mistake about their own product, it doesn't give one a lot of confidence.
I actually texted with the proprietor a bunch before ordering mine. The pairs I bought were nice loafers but I ended up throwing them on eBay. The last didn't work for me.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got my first pair. Very slipper like. And like $50 on Amazon. View attachment 1792828
My Amazon “Journey West” pair arrived today. $63 with Prime. I really like the packaging. I usually wear a 10.5, but got a 10 based on customer reviews. I think it was a good idea. Fits pretty well with no heel slip with and without socks. A tiny bit snug/narrow but I imagine they will break in a bit.

The construction is what you’d expect for $63. Glued on soles, med/wide stitching, low/med quality material, a dumb seam on the outside inner part of the shoe.

All that being said, they look pretty nice. The design is pretty elegant. There are very clear differences between this and Mr. Casual up close, but they could certainly fool most in dim lighting.

I’ll report back after a few wears.

8E32A48F-0C22-49F9-973A-5ECF6130402F.jpeg

979D71A9-9109-4D68-BF47-1341822D1C2E.jpeg

BD6A5245-9A4E-45FE-905A-ED7D13FB679F.jpeg

2885C99F-0CF8-4231-988D-04CF4A3E3E1F.jpeg

Eli Curt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Amazon “Journey West” pair arrived today. $63 with Prime. I really like the packaging. I usually wear a 10.5, but got a 10 based on customer reviews. I think it was a good idea. Fits pretty well with no heel slip with and without socks. A tiny bit snug/narrow but I imagine they will break in a bit.

The construction is what you’d expect for $63. Glued on soles, med/wide stitching, low/med quality material, a dumb seam on the outside inner part of the shoe.

All that being said, they look pretty nice. The design is pretty elegant. There are very clear differences between this and Mr. Casual up close, but they could certainly fool most in dim lighting.

View attachment 1821419
View attachment 1821421
View attachment 1821420
View attachment 1821417
I have a wedding coming up that's going to require a decent amount of dancing. I'm expecting to destroy my shoes, so I also ordered these. I generally take a 43/10. In these, the 10 was too tight on me and I ended up with a 10.5 actually.

I went with the black/black/black ones to match my eveningwear.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

View attachment 1821419
View attachment 1821421
View attachment 1821420
View attachment 1821417
Those look good. Might just have to get me a pair. The good news about the concerns you raised: literally the only people who will notice/care are on StyleForvm so on some level they are utterly irrelevant

Eli Curt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those look good. Might just have to get me a pair. The good news about the concerns you raised: literally the only people who will notice/care are on StyleForvm so on some level they are utterly irrelevant
They're also more shoe and less slipper though.

Panama

Reaction score
I tried on a few Belgian loafers, and they feel too uncomfortable. I have opted for Venetian slippers instead...

Phillip Dean

Reaction score

I’m going to disagree: those look terrible. And as you mentioned yourself, they are poorly constructed from low quality materials. This is like trying to make steak tartare from McDonald’s beef. Just get the McDouble instead, or save up for the tartare.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’m going to disagree: those look terrible. And as you mentioned yourself, they are poorly constructed from low quality materials. This is like trying to make steak tartare from McDonald’s beef. Just get the McDouble instead, or save up for the tartare.
You also missed the thesis: literally no one outside of SF will give a ****. And if you saw someone wearing them on the street and walked past I bet you wouldn't know.

Phillip Dean

Reaction score
On the counter, they should matter the most the most to the wearer. If the OP admits that they are a poor quality imitation of the real thing, they don’t sound like a satisfactory purchase that will be appreciated by the buyer in the long run.

I know that real Belgians are 10x the cost, but look at it this way: instead of buying the knock offs, you could have been 10% on the way to investing in the superior shoe. Take it slow, save up, and invest is advice I’d wish I’d gotten myself.

Eli Curt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the counter, they should matter the most the most to the wearer. If the OP admits that they are a poor quality imitation of the real thing, they don’t sound like a satisfactory purchase that will be appreciated by the buyer in the long run.

I know that real Belgians are 10x the cost, but look at it this way: instead of buying the knock offs, you could have been 10% on the way to investing in the superior shoe. Take it slow, save up, and invest is advice I’d wish I’d gotten myself.

I own 5 pairs of belgian loafers and one pair of the Amazon fugazzis. The amazon shoes are good to thrash around on the dance floor. They are FINE as shoes.

But they do not hold a candle to the Belgies. If planning on wearing them a bunch, I'd sooner spend twice the cash and get some Belsires, Berwicks, etc. and get substantial shoes. The Amazon ones are essentially sneakers that have the belgian shoe aesthetic.

Regarding your "save up and invest" remark, yes - I love that from a financial standpoint. From a sartorial standpoint, there is no "my way or the highway", as it were. Plenty of folks subscribe to the YOLO of buying inexpensive or thrift clothing so that they can enjoy their spending in the now. I don't know that this is wrong.

Investing in high quality clothing is great, but if your "slipper" budget is $65/year, it could literally take you from your 40's into your 50's before you buy a pair of these and then your whole life could have changed and you'll have never been able to wear any type of belgian-looking shoe and well, that'd just be a crying shame.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I own 5 pairs of belgian loafers and one pair of the Amazon fugazzis. The amazon shoes are good to thrash around on the dance floor. They are FINE as shoes.

But they do not hold a candle to the Belgies. If planning on wearing them a bunch, I'd sooner spend twice the cash and get some Belsires, Berwicks, etc. and get substantial shoes. The Amazon ones are essentially sneakers that have the belgian shoe aesthetic.

Regarding your "save up and invest" remark, yes - I love that from a financial standpoint. From a sartorial standpoint, there is no "my way or the highway", as it were. Plenty of folks subscribe to the YOLO of buying inexpensive or thrift clothing so that they can enjoy their spending in the now. I don't know that this is wrong.

Investing in high quality clothing is great, but if your "slipper" budget is $65/year, it could literally take you from your 40's into your 50's before you buy a pair of these and then your whole life could have changed and you'll have never been able to wear any type of belgian-looking shoe and well, that'd just be a crying shame.

Different strokes for different folks. I'm sure the original Belgians are superior in every way to this $63 pair, but I really don't think they are 10 times better. Just my opinion. I'd wager money ($550) that significantly more than 50% of the US population would find spending $550 for a "slipper" to be absurd. There is a very real opportunity cost for me and others spending that much for for one pair of shoes.

Good news, my wife suggested that I get a real pair of Belgians. I may do it, but I'll probably get two or three pairs of other shoes instead.

I've worn the Felgians a few times now. I ordered a sized down, but think my regular size may have been better. My feet are two different sizes. My smaller foot works great with the 10, but my larger foot could use a 10.5.

Eli Curt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Different strokes for different folks. I'm sure the original Belgians are superior in every way to this $63 pair, but I really don't think they are 10 times better. Just my opinion. I'd wager money ($550) that significantly more than 50% of the US population would find spending $550 for a "slipper" to be absurd. There is a very real opportunity cost for me and others spending that much for for one pair of shoes.

Good news, my wife suggested that I get a real pair of Belgians. I may do it, but I'll probably get two or three pairs of other shoes instead.

I've worn the Felgians a few times now. I ordered a sized down, but think my regular size may have been better. My feet are two different sizes. My smaller foot works great with the 10, but my larger foot could use a 10.5.
Want me to drop off the 10.5 evening ones by you? They're too big for me. I'll be in the city Monday.

leapyourbar

Reaction score

Your wife is a good woman. I won't say she clowned me for wanting Belgians, but I definitely remember buying my first pair many years back and my wife saying she didn't get the appeal. I think the only reason I remembered this was because she is unconditionally supportive of not only my spending habits but style choices, lol. I also remember the first time we saw a pair in the wild in 2014 -- she and I were checking out Stubbs & Wootton when a guy stopped us with a pair on, pointed to them, and said, "no, THESE are what you need!" much obviously to my excitement...yet she still thought they looked lame.

Fast forward a few years, and I convinced her to buy her first pair - she has since said they're the only thing she wants to wear going forward.

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

did you try the Yanko's? $166. I wore my pair walking all around Florence and they did great.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads