• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Belgian Loafers?

Eli Curt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love them or hate them, these seem to be a pretty polarizing style. I'm trying to see who's making them currently.

I know of Rubinacci in Italy & Belgian Shoes here in NYC that are both priced around $450. These are both pretty slipper-like from what I understand.

I found a new company Bomberos which seem to be more structured shoe than slipper, based in Texas, who has them made in Spain priced around $200-$250 - these are blake construction. I ordered a couple of these and they should be arriving soon.

I've tried Belsire in the past which were a comfortable, structured option but after a year's wear, the piping has become destroyed and I chose not to resole them.

Do you know of anybody else churning these kinds of shoes out at a solid manufacturing level?

Crispyj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Baudoin & Lange are also considered one of the best makers of Belgian loafers. I tried some on in Barney's during their closeout sale (still going on?), had a few normal sizes left, too. I didn't buy a pair because I encountered heel slippage.

thatboyo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cannonieri and Berwick make some lower priced options.
Gentlemen's footwear also has a brand called Bow Tie shoes.

No idea on quality of the three above. Only had og belgians and baudoin & lange.

stijn

Reaction score
The OG Belgians are made here in Belgium in a small factory, small village.

johnmichael

Reaction score
Love them or hate them, these seem to be a pretty polarizing style. I'm trying to see who's making them currently.

I know of Rubinacci in Italy & Belgian Shoes here in NYC that are both priced around $450. These are both pretty slipper-like from what I understand.

View attachment 1319050

View attachment 1319051

I found a new company Bomberos which seem to be more structured shoe than slipper, based in Texas, who has them made in Spain priced around $200-$250 - these are blake construction. I ordered a couple of these and they should be arriving soon.

View attachment 1319052

View attachment 1319053

I've tried Belsire in the past which were a comfortable, structured option but after a year's wear, the piping has become destroyed and I chose not to resole them.

Do you know of anybody else churning these kinds of shoes out at a solid manufacturing level?
I'm from hating group. They do stand out. However, wearing these on a regular basis would made me flip to be honest.

I do know that friend of mine has pair of Calvin Klein's loafers, but this is whole another level - being hand made and all. I'll show it to him he might have idea about these.

emptym

Reaction score
In addition to the ones mentioned above, Luxire, Santoni, and Luui make them.
The Bomberos ones look nice. I like how the vamp is longer than B&Ls. But the website says they have "wooden stacked heels." I'm sure they're leather, but when a company makes that big of a mistake about their own product, it doesn't give one a lot of confidence.

Fliegerguy

Reaction score

I believe this is a new product. Attractive pricing

Mr G from SD

Reaction score
Gaziano & Girling has a version, although I believe only available through made-to-order. These in alligator were posted on their instagram a couple of months ago:

Eli Curt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I received the Bomberos. Yes, they are stacked leather heels - not wood. I spoke a bit with the proprietor, Matthew Werner. I don't get the feeling that he's a typical "menswear enthusiast", but more of a waspy golfing type. I'd be interested to hear how he decided on such a seemingly niche style, but that's neither here nor there.

The shoes are very nice. The linen ones were their V1 and the last is a bit odd. Matt tells me they're similar, except V2's last is more roomy in the toe box and the arch area, but they feel shorter to me. The linen ones have my toes pushing up against the end - I hope they break in, and Matt is telling me because of the construction method used, they should stretch and adapt to my foot more than most shoes would.

The black ones I received are pretty much perfect out of the box. Whether these contort to my foot or not doesn't matter too much to me - they're great as is.

The finish on both are pretty nice. The black ones (V2) have more of a substantial construction with visible stitching on the outsole & a little rubber pad in the middle of the leather sole, I guess for longevity, but mostly for traction it would seem. The soles are pretty slim.

I look forward to wearing them both as the weather warms up in a few months and I'll post back here with some feedback after a few months.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads