• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Being well dressed and mannered when family isn't as much

ilvwhtgrls

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicola
If you're insulting them how is that well mannered?

Years ago QE II was having a state dinner with some yokels who started to drink the soup out of the bowl. So she did the same so they wouldn't look like yokels.

If you're making people feel or look out of place you aren't well mannered.

Wow, never knew that, very interesting.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
Rich , Camel , needle ...
Per the NRSSV (as opposed to the NRSV) ... Matthew 19:24 says ... Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a Rolex to be worn discreetly.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm wearing a Rolex right now, but I'm going to guess that it will not be in the top ten list ofthings that will prevent my entry through the cultured-pearly Episcopal gates.

For one thing, I like Rhone reds with seafood.

Other venal sins? Too numerous to count.

- B

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
Per the NRSSV (as opposed to the NRSV) ... Matthew 19:24 says ... Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a Rolex to be worn discreetly.

I'm feeling like my time is coming - can I get a ruling on a blue Tudor submariner on $20 dollar blue embossed-alligator grain calf strap or should I go for the IWC (SF-approved)?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alliswell
I'm feeling like my time is coming - can I get a ruling on a blue Tudor submariner on $20 dollar blue embossed-alligator grain calf strap or should I go for the IWC (SF-approved)?

I wouldn't ask RSS this question since he is still 97% AAAC.

Search for Moo. I am convinced that he is still out there, like in the mountains or something.

That is pure SF ( short for StyleForvm .)

- B

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I wouldn't ask RSS this question since he is still 97% AAAC.
True, true. I just couldn't wait to talk about my new AAAC approved JAB suit. Then I saw a couple of threads today that caused me to believe that SF is headding in an AAACly direction. That being so ... I'm headding back to London ... or maybe I'll try Naples ... just as long as my choice doesn't produce works that have the sack-suit look of one recent example I saw in photo form right here in Crimson River City.
Other venal sins? Too numerous to count.
Lets hope so ... otherwise life wouldn't be worth living.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
You should get something made from the Shroud of Turin.

I'm thinking summer jacket with patch hip pockets.

Could be spendy/illegal.

Ask RA to cut it so the beard ends up on the breast patch.

- B

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It will be the shroud should I go with Mario ... but something made from one of Julian of Norwich's habits if I go with Richard.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ProfessorShak
Describing them as "primative" wasn't done by me, but I agreed to with that observation. And my wife agrees as well but her response is more of "what can you do" though at times she tends to fall back. Her deal is where our community doesn't care that much, I'm the opposite and pay too much attention to these small things. Being OCD I have to agree with her which is why I don't say anything. Again people here making judgements need to understand that my community can be highly judgemental even when you do nothing wrong. I was glad to hear I wasn't the only one within the community who felt that way.

What is the "community"?

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alliswell
Not to worry ... my Camel/Needle/Over-rated-consumer-product verse is taken too seriously by some ... not seriously enough by others.

Personally ... I went with an IWC for my first serious watch purchase. But that purchase predates SF by several decades ... so could not have been SF-approved at the time. For all I know, my choices still may not be SF-approved -- I haven't a clue what is and isn't -- but that's of no concern.

So ... is there an actual Approved SF List?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
It will be the shroud should I go with Mario ... but something made from one of Julian of Norwich's habits if I go with Richard.

What's your odd jacket take on Norman tapestry?

I'm thinking ticket pocket is too arriviste...maybe go with no pockets and toggles.

- B

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Search for Moo. I am convinced that he is still out there, like

- B

they're somebody else's meal, they're like pigs in the wilderness...

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's your odd jacket take on Norman tapestry?

I'm thinking ticket pocket is too arriviste...maybe go with no pockets and toggles.

- B

Make sure to get a 4 piece. You can always leave the tabard at home in inclement weather.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm thinking ticket pocket is too arriviste...
Yes, yes ... I prefer my jacket to be more ... departiste.

Regarding the Shroud:
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
Pal Zileri bought up all the yardage at the vatican auction.
**** ... then Anglican relics it is.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads