• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Being well dressed and mannered when family isn't as much

Doxe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I am exactly that liberal.
- B

Even for someone with a sociology or communications degree?

Please feel free to die on the cross for my sins
worship.gif

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How was that condescending? I'm a penniless student living in the richest town in the UK, its exactly the same scenario in reverse.

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if(EnjoymentOfWearingClothes > ResultOfNegativeComments)
{
MensClothing
}
else
{
StreetwearAndDenim
}

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wasn't quite what I was getting at. He says people say he dresses too smartly, I simply pointed out that we have an entire forum dedicated to well dressed casual looks; no one would call a pair of N&F jeans with a decent t-shirt/polo too dressy, but he still wears the best garments.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
I think it is safe to you do what you like. You cannot make anybody feel a certain way. It is solely on them to allow themselves to feel how they want to feel. If you are making your family feel inferior it is probably because they have an issue with their position in life. Becoming insulted is a function of one's own ego not the other way around. Plus, you live in America, right? Social circles aren't as cut and dry as say England. I know more millionaires that look and act like clowns than anybody would expect. Guess what? They don't care what anybody else looks like.

You should hang out with better millionaires, yours seem to lack swagger.

z7f9q

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have no way of knowing this, but I suspect this reaction by his family has less to do with the clothes than the underlying tensions between OP and family hinted at in his post. People tend to notice when you feel like you're better than them, talk about their "primitive" dress/behaviour, etc. With that said, I hope I'm not misinterpreting or misreading the OP, and if I am, I apologize.

I usually operate under the assumption that when family members complain about your clothes (too fancy, etc.), it isn't really the clothes they're complaining about, but other issues.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I am not sure what is going on in this thread, but I am hopeful that we will see actual cannibalism.

So, I am putting in an early request for for dark meat, rare or medium rare.

- B

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ProfessorShak
I hope this comes as clearer. I'm not one to insult ANYONE, and if I have to make a comment I try to be kind about it. I don't walk up to them and flaunt my suff. Here is an example:

When sitting for dinner, they stare at my plate and if there's nothing there, they start putting things on my plate and tell me that "I'm not eating" even after I've just eaten my fill. To me that's just rude but I don't say anything, but they get upset when I don't eat what they think I should be eating.

They put food in front of you? Bastards. Have you considered a gun?

Stay away from Italian girls. You'll have a nervous breakdown when their mothers,aunts,sisters,grandmothers,distant third cousins start putting eight helpings in front of you.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
I know a great Divorce attorney. Remember, it's expensive because its worth it!

+100

bullrams

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicola

Stay away from Italian girls. You'll have a nervous breakdown when their mothers,aunts,sisters,grandmothers,distant third cousins start putting eight helpings in front of you.

+100

Stay away from Indian girls as well!

Doxe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicola

Stay away from Asians too. Do not under any circumstances approach Colombian women - especially if you cannot stand rare or medium rare meat (may or may not be cannibalistic).

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I grew up in a neighborhood of what I call, "10 cent millionaires". Millionaires who are millionaires because they are cheap as hell and act as if they have nothing.

HEARTLESS-531

Reaction score
Professor - despite all of our different cultural backgrounds and upbringings, it is fair to say that most people on SF are successful, upwardly mobile people. Please don't apologize for dressing well and exhibiting good manners. My wife was the same way. What did I do? I engaged her. I brought her along, helped her find good stuff, improved her aesthetic sense, etc. When you dress well, people take you more seriously. Period. It's just like combat-- who is better prepared? Hang in there bro, pullin' for ya.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HEARTLESS-531
Professor - despite all of our different cultural backgrounds and upbringings, it is fair to say that most people on SF are successful, upwardly mobile people. Please don't apologize for dressing well and exhibiting good manners. My wife was the same way. What did I do? I engaged her. I brought her along, helped her find good stuff, improved her aesthetic sense, etc. When you dress well, people take you more seriously. Period. It's just like combat-- who is better prepared? Hang in there bro, pullin' for ya.

My girlfriend couldn't care less about pricey things. I like it that way because she doesn't cost me money. I have found that women (besides independently wealthy ones) who are too well put-together expect a lot from you as far as material things go, especially if you are well put together and have good taste yourself. I reckon it goes with the territory and I am just selfish...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads