• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 5: Good Art HLYWD rosette courtesy of Self Edge

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 5th auction is for a custom Good Art HLYWD bracelet courtesy of Self Edge. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

being someone else on the internet

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you ever thought about signing up for a message board, and just lying about everything to be someone you aren't purely for entertainment value. And no, I don't mean trolling, like signing up on a political party's message board claiming to be part of that party and just causing trouble.

Instead, I mean taking on another identity basically. For example, I assume most of us here are white collar types (hence the interest in suits) so maybe sign up for a forum, and claim you are a blue collar type and try to post in "character" from that perspective. Or another example, maybe you are a nudist, so you sign up to post on a clothing message board and pretend to like suits.

Think you could do it? How long could you keep it going before you were found out? How complex could you weave the tale of lies?

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like to pretend I'm Art Vandelay. I'm an architect.

This facade lasts about fifteen minutes, until someone like Huntsman (an actual engineer) posts on a thread.

Duveen

Reaction score
I think that several posters are currently conducting scientific experiments on precisely this subject. You will destroy the "double-blind" status of the trials if J does not delete this thread.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
I'm actually doing it right now.

In real life I'm a tall, dark, handsome, and incredibly rich trust fund baby from New York.

Connemara

[URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
but i found you truly tall, dark , and handsome. ?? no? check out your photo
LOL! Good joke shoe.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
LOL!

Good joke shoe.

Thanks shoe!
It's true, the only part I lie about on the internet is the trust fund part. The rest is all true.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Duveen
I think that several posters are currently conducting scientific experiments on precisely this subject. You will destroy the "double-blind" status of the trials if J does not delete this thread.

Hmm, I've had my suspicions as well

Could anyone in real life be as big a loser as {name redacted to protect the study} makes himself out to be? He's probably doing a study on internet empathy or something.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Milhouse
Hmm, I've had my suspicions as well
Could anyone in real life be as big a loser as {name redacted to protect the study} makes himself out to be? He's probably doing a study on internet empathy or something.

I don't want to say his name either, but I will say it rhymes with "Bonnemara."

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Actually, there are a number of people I can think of whose bona fides come into question.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
you spiteful harpy, you.

I figured you were a funny enough guy on here that you might be doing it all just to phuck with us.
I'd be okay with it.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Is it Thomas?

T's as real as they come. I know this because I can't imagine anyone lying about being a fan of Yatagan.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
I figured you were a funny enough guy on here that you might be doing it all just to phuck with us.
I'd be okay with it.

Thanx for outing me kwilk.

My confession.

IRL I have no sense of humor. Only when I'm behind the shield of a keyboard and web connection can I try to be funny and likeable. It's still a chore to be 'funny'. Smiling likewise comes hard for me. I tried it once, small children screamed and I swear I pulled a muscle in the attempt.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 27 3.4%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 137 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 257 32.7%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 124 15.8%
  • 31 - 40