• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Being in style in SoCal

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm moving to SoCal, and want to arrive and be in style there. That is, I've been dressing to "East Coast" standards for the past several years, and now I'm going for a change. I'm not much for the whole California surfer look with old tshirts, washed-out jeans and flip flops. But how does the fashionable crowd there dress? What items would I want in terms of jeans, shirts, jackets, shoes/boots etc? Keep in mind my style is pretty mainstream, and I tend to follow trends (but try to perfect the looks rather than being a half-assed follower), so also, what do people notice as the trends there?

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
People from the East Coast often find themselves overdressed compared to people from California. I wouldn't say that you're just going to see flip flops, worn jeans, and t-shirts, but the overall look is a bit more casual. Polos or graphic Ts, jeans, trainers or similar shoes is pretty common for just going around town or to the mall or whatever. At the moment we're in the middle of a huge heat wave, so shorts, t-shirts, and sandals, and light colored clothing are par for the course. It was 119 degrees here the other day.

For going to clubs, you'll see the usual, dark colored jeans or slacks, dress shirts of various types, dark colored shoes/boots, sometimes jackets/blazers in cooler weather.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117

For going to clubs, you'll see the usual, dark colored jeans or slacks, dress shirts of various types, dark colored shoes/boots, sometimes jackets/blazers in cooler weather.

Any real difference in the fits/cuts people go for?

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
I agree with drizz's general comments. Perhaps you could give a sense of what you normally wear in different contexts it'd be easier to give guidance. And are we talking about what people will be wearing at the supermarket, at dance clubs, at nice restaurants, etc. Socal's a pretty diverse place, so without narrowing the issue a bit any random answer someone cares to post could be dead right or dead wrong, or both simultaneously.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It varies, of course, but I think you still see a bit more baggy clothing here than on the East Coast.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
I agree with drizz's general comments. Perhaps you could give a sense of what you normally wear in different contexts it'd be easier to give guidance. And are we talking about what people will be wearing at the supermarket, at dance clubs, at nice restaurants, etc. Socal's a pretty diverse place, so without narrowing the issue a bit any random answer someone cares to post could be dead right or dead wrong, or both simultaneously.
Usually, I would say I'm wearing dark, fitted jeans and either old sneakers for really casual or ankle boots to dress things up a bit. On top, if it's warmer I'm usually in plain color fitted t's or polos, sometimes a fitted button-down, usually something lighter colored and pretty plain, like a slim fitting white dress shirt worn with jeans. My jackets for warmer weather are mostly blazers, and are linen. For cooler weatherr, fitted sweaters. If I'm going out, then it's one of my nicer pair of jeans, always boots, and a dark tshirt instead of a lighter one or polo, or else dress shirt. I should add, I'm in my early 20s, and will most likely be hanging around other young professionals.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DGP
Usually, I would say I'm wearing dark, fitted jeans and either old sneakers for really casual or ankle boots to dress things up a bit. On top, if it's warmer I'm usually in plain color fitted t's or polos, sometimes a fitted button-down, usually something lighter colored and pretty plain, like a slim fitting white dress shirt worn with jeans. My jackets for warmer weather are mostly blazers, and are linen. For cooler weatherr, fitted sweaters. If I'm going out, then it's one of my nicer pair of jeans, always boots, and a dark tshirt instead of a lighter one or polo, or else dress shirt.
Those all would work well here, I'd say. Because of the weather, I'd say that on average clothes here tend to be a bit lighter (and perhaps as a result, a bit less "structured"). But that's probably more an issue if you're talking suits, etc., which you're not. I think your preference for fitted clothes fits (excuse the pun) in well.

rnrswitch

Reaction score
I typically wear a blue bandana in true gangsta fashion to rep the crips. A flak jacket is a must if you're planning on doing any real partying. Practice throwing up the west coast sign, so that anytime tupac comes on the radio you can throw it without even thinking about it. Other than that you should be good.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DGP
Usually, I would say I'm wearing dark, fitted jeans and either old sneakers for really casual or ankle boots to dress things up a bit. On top, if it's warmer I'm usually in plain color fitted t's or polos, sometimes a fitted button-down, usually something lighter colored and pretty plain, like a slim fitting white dress shirt worn with jeans. My jackets for warmer weather are mostly blazers, and are linen. For cooler weatherr, fitted sweaters. If I'm going out, then it's one of my nicer pair of jeans, always boots, and a dark tshirt instead of a lighter one or polo, or else dress shirt.

I should add, I'm in my early 20s, and will most likely be hanging around other young professionals.

It sounds like you'll be fine. Jackets aren't really common here in hot weather though, mainly for practical reasons. When it's over 100 degrees, you won't want to be wearing outerwear. Are you moving to the city of Los Angeles?

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnrswitch
I typically wear a blue bandana in true gangsta fashion to rep the crips. A flak jacket is a must if you're planning on doing any real partying. Practice throwing up the west coast sign, so that anytime tupac comes on the radio you can throw it without even thinking about it. Other than that you should be good.
redban.jpg

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Those all would work well here, I'd say. Because of the weather, I'd say that on average clothes here tend to be a bit lighter (and perhaps as a result, a bit less "structured"). But that's probably more an issue if you're talking suits, etc., which you're not. I think your preference for fitted clothes fits (excuse the pun) in well.

Interesting about the suits. I will be in a relatively formal and conservative office, so somewhat "traditional" suits will be the norm. I picked up a couple of summer weight Zegna Z suits at Saks' sale, and I have a few other midweigths. I would love some sort of twill suit, if I could find the right kind.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You haven't addressed whether you were moving to LA, or other regions of SoCal, as the styles vary quite a bit between San Diego, LA, and Orange County, and even within parts of LA.

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah, where are you going to be living mainly? Venice beach bum is going to be different then monied Beverly Hills/Bel-Air is going to be different from hipster Silver Lake/Echo Park is going to be different from trendy downtown is going to be different from old school Pasadena/San Marino, etc.

and i know nothing about the OC areas.

BTW, can someone turn off the heat already? i'm just about ready for fall, the end of baseball season, college football, and cool, crisp nights.

-Jeff

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably somewhere in the Hollywood area, maybe Silverlake.

rnrswitch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
redban.jpg

Them's fightin words. Don't let me catch you creepin in my neck of the woods.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads