• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Being in style in SoCal

DGP

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2006
Messages
2,100
Reaction score
0
I'm moving to SoCal, and want to arrive and be in style there. That is, I've been dressing to "East Coast" standards for the past several years, and now I'm going for a change. I'm not much for the whole California surfer look with old tshirts, washed-out jeans and flip flops. But how does the fashionable crowd there dress? What items would I want in terms of jeans, shirts, jackets, shoes/boots etc? Keep in mind my style is pretty mainstream, and I tend to follow trends (but try to perfect the looks rather than being a half-assed follower), so also, what do people notice as the trends there?
 

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Aug 26, 2004
Messages
13,141
Reaction score
10
People from the East Coast often find themselves overdressed compared to people from California. I wouldn't say that you're just going to see flip flops, worn jeans, and t-shirts, but the overall look is a bit more casual. Polos or graphic Ts, jeans, trainers or similar shoes is pretty common for just going around town or to the mall or whatever. At the moment we're in the middle of a huge heat wave, so shorts, t-shirts, and sandals, and light colored clothing are par for the course. It was 119 degrees here the other day.

For going to clubs, you'll see the usual, dark colored jeans or slacks, dress shirts of various types, dark colored shoes/boots, sometimes jackets/blazers in cooler weather.
 

DGP

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2006
Messages
2,100
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by drizzt3117

For going to clubs, you'll see the usual, dark colored jeans or slacks, dress shirts of various types, dark colored shoes/boots, sometimes jackets/blazers in cooler weather.


Any real difference in the fits/cuts people go for?
 

lawyerdad

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
24,258
Reaction score
10,202
I agree with drizz's general comments. Perhaps you could give a sense of what you normally wear in different contexts it'd be easier to give guidance. And are we talking about what people will be wearing at the supermarket, at dance clubs, at nice restaurants, etc. Socal's a pretty diverse place, so without narrowing the issue a bit any random answer someone cares to post could be dead right or dead wrong, or both simultaneously.
 

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Aug 26, 2004
Messages
13,141
Reaction score
10
It varies, of course, but I think you still see a bit more baggy clothing here than on the East Coast.
 

DGP

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2006
Messages
2,100
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
I agree with drizz's general comments. Perhaps you could give a sense of what you normally wear in different contexts it'd be easier to give guidance. And are we talking about what people will be wearing at the supermarket, at dance clubs, at nice restaurants, etc. Socal's a pretty diverse place, so without narrowing the issue a bit any random answer someone cares to post could be dead right or dead wrong, or both simultaneously.
Usually, I would say I'm wearing dark, fitted jeans and either old sneakers for really casual or ankle boots to dress things up a bit. On top, if it's warmer I'm usually in plain color fitted t's or polos, sometimes a fitted button-down, usually something lighter colored and pretty plain, like a slim fitting white dress shirt worn with jeans. My jackets for warmer weather are mostly blazers, and are linen. For cooler weatherr, fitted sweaters. If I'm going out, then it's one of my nicer pair of jeans, always boots, and a dark tshirt instead of a lighter one or polo, or else dress shirt. I should add, I'm in my early 20s, and will most likely be hanging around other young professionals.
 

lawyerdad

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
24,258
Reaction score
10,202
Originally Posted by DGP
Usually, I would say I'm wearing dark, fitted jeans and either old sneakers for really casual or ankle boots to dress things up a bit. On top, if it's warmer I'm usually in plain color fitted t's or polos, sometimes a fitted button-down, usually something lighter colored and pretty plain, like a slim fitting white dress shirt worn with jeans. My jackets for warmer weather are mostly blazers, and are linen. For cooler weatherr, fitted sweaters. If I'm going out, then it's one of my nicer pair of jeans, always boots, and a dark tshirt instead of a lighter one or polo, or else dress shirt.
Those all would work well here, I'd say. Because of the weather, I'd say that on average clothes here tend to be a bit lighter (and perhaps as a result, a bit less "structured"). But that's probably more an issue if you're talking suits, etc., which you're not. I think your preference for fitted clothes fits (excuse the pun) in well.
 

rnrswitch

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 11, 2006
Messages
417
Reaction score
0
I typically wear a blue bandana in true gangsta fashion to rep the crips. A flak jacket is a must if you're planning on doing any real partying. Practice throwing up the west coast sign, so that anytime tupac comes on the radio you can throw it without even thinking about it. Other than that you should be good.
 

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Aug 26, 2004
Messages
13,141
Reaction score
10
Originally Posted by DGP
Usually, I would say I'm wearing dark, fitted jeans and either old sneakers for really casual or ankle boots to dress things up a bit. On top, if it's warmer I'm usually in plain color fitted t's or polos, sometimes a fitted button-down, usually something lighter colored and pretty plain, like a slim fitting white dress shirt worn with jeans. My jackets for warmer weather are mostly blazers, and are linen. For cooler weatherr, fitted sweaters. If I'm going out, then it's one of my nicer pair of jeans, always boots, and a dark tshirt instead of a lighter one or polo, or else dress shirt.

I should add, I'm in my early 20s, and will most likely be hanging around other young professionals.


It sounds like you'll be fine. Jackets aren't really common here in hot weather though, mainly for practical reasons. When it's over 100 degrees, you won't want to be wearing outerwear. Are you moving to the city of Los Angeles?
 

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2006
Messages
5,128
Reaction score
72
Originally Posted by rnrswitch
I typically wear a blue bandana in true gangsta fashion to rep the crips. A flak jacket is a must if you're planning on doing any real partying. Practice throwing up the west coast sign, so that anytime tupac comes on the radio you can throw it without even thinking about it. Other than that you should be good.
 

DGP

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2006
Messages
2,100
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Those all would work well here, I'd say. Because of the weather, I'd say that on average clothes here tend to be a bit lighter (and perhaps as a result, a bit less "structured"). But that's probably more an issue if you're talking suits, etc., which you're not. I think your preference for fitted clothes fits (excuse the pun) in well.


Interesting about the suits. I will be in a relatively formal and conservative office, so somewhat "traditional" suits will be the norm. I picked up a couple of summer weight Zegna Z suits at Saks' sale, and I have a few other midweigths. I would love some sort of twill suit, if I could find the right kind.
 

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Aug 26, 2004
Messages
13,141
Reaction score
10
You haven't addressed whether you were moving to LA, or other regions of SoCal, as the styles vary quite a bit between San Diego, LA, and Orange County, and even within parts of LA.
 

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2004
Messages
1,823
Reaction score
3
yeah, where are you going to be living mainly? Venice beach bum is going to be different then monied Beverly Hills/Bel-Air is going to be different from hipster Silver Lake/Echo Park is going to be different from trendy downtown is going to be different from old school Pasadena/San Marino, etc.

and i know nothing about the OC areas.

BTW, can someone turn off the heat already? i'm just about ready for fall, the end of baseball season, college football, and cool, crisp nights.

-Jeff
 

DGP

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2006
Messages
2,100
Reaction score
0
Probably somewhere in the Hollywood area, maybe Silverlake.
 

rnrswitch

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 11, 2006
Messages
417
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Arethusa

Them's fightin words. Don't let me catch you creepin in my neck of the woods.
 

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

  • Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

  • Loafers

  • Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

  • Monk strap shoes

  • Oxford / Derby shoes

  • Sneakers


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
426,162
Messages
9,166,728
Members
192,551
Latest member
candinogroup

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Top