• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Being "Called Out" on Sprezzatura

MORNINGSTAR777

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
If people stopped aping what they saw on SF, there'd be a remarkable decrease in WAYW posts. Personally, I come here for inspiration, and make no claims to be wholly self-invented.

I definitely take idea from this site and adopt them (consciously or otherwise); I don't believe anyone exist in a bubble. However, I would never take such a personal affectation (that may occur due to some genuine nonchalance) someone has, adopt it as my own and then believe it was "sprezzatura". It's the amount of thought processes and calculation that I feel voids the result. How could it be true nonchalance with all that thought? If one decides for example to leave their collar points unbuttoned purely because they admire the aesthetic, that's another thing (which I'm fine with).

How could you ever truly make a check list of do's to achieve nonchalance?

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Dear God in Heaven...let not my shoes crease!

that's frightening, if not a nightmare.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Because of sprezzafuturama, I'm beginning to covet the frays in my 10-year-old BB shirts like the SW&D guys covet their raw denim fadez. +1 or -1?
frown.gif

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MORNINGSTAR777
I definitely take idea from this site and adopt them (consciously or otherwise); I don't believe anyone exist in a bubble. However, I would never take such a personal affectation (that may occur due to some genuine nonchalance) someone has, adopt it as my own and then believe it was "sprezzatura". It's the amount of thought processes and calculation that I feel voids the result. How could it be true nonchalance with all that thought? If one decides for example to leave their collar points unbuttoned purely because they admire the aesthetic, that's another thing (which I'm fine with).

How could you ever truly make a check list of do's to achieve nonchalance?

I agree with that -- ticking off a checklist is definitely a case of trying too hard. But the sort of analysis you're discussing is a bridge too far for me. I leave my collars unbuttoned because I like the look and like how it's a bit "don't give a toss." But how would you (or anyone) know my motivation?

I think the secret to this stuff is that you really, genuinely have to be doing it for yourself, and not care what others think.

Originally Posted by NakedYoga
Because of sprezzafuturama, I'm beginning to covet the frays in my 10-year-old BB shirts like the SW&D guys covet their raw denim fadez. +1 or -1?
frown.gif

Big +1.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thurston
My own bit of sprezzatura is to leave my fly undone. It hasn't generated a lot of positive buzz, yet.

Au contraire.

kuwisdelu

Reaction score
Sprezzatura must be effortless. If not, it's just contrived. Sometimes I unbutton my cuffs to roll my sleeves up on hot days and forget to re-button some. To steal a (mis)quote from Foo, sprezzatura, like style, is incidental. You cannot force it. You cannot even attempt it. It. Just. Happens. You can't try wearing French cuffs without a jacket just to be rakish. But if you just happen to find yourself wandering out in the woods in the middle of the night wearing a black fedora, a dove grey herringbone waistcoat, a blue French cuff contrast-collar shirt by Ralph Lauren, and wondering where the hell you misplaced your Incotex while yanking off the used condom--now that is sprezzatura. True story.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
... is taking a knee & letting your kid put his shoe on the other knee when you stop to tie his shoe and not checking to see if it's soiled afterward.

OR letting him or the wife wipe their nose with your square and stuffing it back in your pocket.

OR taking off your tie to clean the bird crap off of her, dampened in the nearby park fountain, then stuffing it in the square pocket.

Afterward I kept moving like nothing ever happened.

No one here has that type of swagger.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kuwisdelu
Sprezzatura must be effortless. If not, it's just contrived.

Sometimes I unbutton my cuffs to roll my sleeves up on hot days and forget to re-button some. To steal a (mis)quote from Foo, sprezzatura, like style, is incidental. You cannot force it. You cannot even attempt it. It. Just. Happens.

You can't try wearing French cuffs without a jacket just to be rakish. But if you just happen to find yourself wandering out in the woods in the middle of the night wearing a black fedora, a dove grey herringbone waistcoat, a blue French cuff contrast-collar shirt by Ralph Lauren, and wondering where the hell you misplaced your Incotex while yanking off the used condom--now that is sprezzatura.

True story.

:yawnz:

Helix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To me Sprezzatura is something that just happens. If you had to think about how it would look, you have crossed the line. Anything else will just end in a sprezz-off runway style ala-zoolander to see who can roll/unbutton/rumple something the most nonchalantly. Of course there is an hour between rounds because looking like you don't give a **** takes a lot of ****-giving right?

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread has imparted to me the self-confidence, nay I say
courage, to go without collar stays in my dress shirts. I feel
positively liberated!

Last edited:

Tramlines

Reaction score
"Sprezzatura must be effortless. If not, it's just contrived"

I didn't notice whilst rushing around that my chambray shirt spontaneously unbuttoned itself down to my waist. All the female office workers had a giggle before pointing it out to me.

It was awful. It reminded me of my mother telling me to do my shoelaces.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads