Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Being "Called Out" on Sprezzatura

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by JT82, Aug 21, 2009.

1. JT82

JT82 Senior member

Agreed. What the op describes are affects, not Sprezzatura.
    How does one distinguish between true effortlessness v. an affectation of such?

2. JT82

JT82 Senior member

Well, if your sprezzatura truly extends beyond your manner of dress, that same nonchalance would lead you to respond with a mildly-surprised "Oh."
    I'd have to agree. . .

3. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

...have you ever been called out on it by a friend or stranger? Has anyone ever approached and told you that your cuff/collar button was undone, thinking they were doing you a favor (or for some other reason)? I'm curious to hear if this has ever happened and, if so, how you responded.
    Yes, when I used to wear tie bars at a slant, women would tell me they were crooked or falling off and often adjust them themselves. At first, I tried to explain this was done by me on purpose. Then, I smartened up and recognized the fringe benefits associated with both "Doing it wrong" and "Being adjusted". I now wear my tie bars at an extreme slant.

4. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I stopped by to visit a friend one Saturday morning while he was working in his yard. I noticed his t-shirt was on inside out, and called his attention to it. He simply stated, "Oh, I wasn't paying attention when I put it on, oh well..." and then shrugged his shoulders. To me this was an example of genuine sprezzatura.

5. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

I think this is a good question. I assume the gentlemanly thing to do would be to thank them for pointing out the condition and either saying 'oh well' or fixing it. To explain yourself would be pretty embarassing.

My own bit of sprezzatura is to leave my fly undone. It hasn't generated a lot of positive buzz, yet.

I do this also to demonstrate that my button fly is indeed, functional.. The ladies down at the coffee shop called the police on me last time I came in for a Caramel Frappuccino.. How I suffer for sprezzatura.. [​IMG]

6. Eccentric

Eccentric Senior member

It seems to me that leaving something amiss is just one aspect of spetzzatura. Being called on that is just part of the game. As in all things, a polite response appropriate to the situation would probably be the best action.

FNB, that is an excellent point you make. Probably the most effective use of spetzzatura in this thread.

7. johnny_flapjack

johnny_flapjack Senior member

I'd say that if one is concerned about being called out on it or is checking off the boxes of things that constitute "it", then they're working with affections rather than living a way that makes them happy and causes a resulting style. Like John Cusack said in High Fidelity "I felt like all those people who suddenly shaved their heads and said they'd always been punks."

Just because I don't button my collar doesn't mean I have Sprezzatura. It might, but it also might just mean I'm trying to look like a guy who does.

8. DLester

DLester Senior member

I know that I showed a friend of mine a pic of yfyf, who leaves one button undone to show it's functional and my friend said, oh look he's missing a button... so I had to explain it's really more of a big FU to OTR people and faux Sprezzatura...

re faux Sprezzatura: What is the point of having functional buttons if you don't leave one unbuttoned now and then? SF calls this affected, but really what is the offense? It is just a little bit of fun.

9. Big Pun

Big Pun Senior member

10. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

I think I Sprezzaturad last night in my boxers. Not sure if that's natural.

11. nicknyse

nicknyse Member

My own bit of sprezzatura is to leave my fly undone. It hasn't generated a lot of positive buzz, yet.

Hilarious. Have you tried playgrounds or elementary schools?

12. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

When you notice someone's style/manner first and the details second. A man can have all his buttons buttoned and exude sprezzatura or have all his buttons undone and look like a sprezzaturaless attention whore.

Sprezzatura begets style, your style does not lead to sprezzatura.

13. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

When you notice someone's style/manner first and the details second. A man can have all his buttons buttoned and exude sprezzatura or have all his buttons undone and look like a sprezzaturaless attention whore.

Sprezzatura begets style, your style does not lead to sprezzatura.

Great answer- do you feel, then, that a static photo can capture "sprezzatura"?
    Witness, as example, the thrashings and trashings some suffer for "being douchey, trying too hard, too affected"... when, if you met that person/knew them it may come off as perfectly nonchalent and elegant in their own way.

14. The Louche

The Louche Senior member

We are talking about calculated nonchalance? LOL I think if it truly is sprezzatura, such observations would be unimportant and meaningless to the wearer.

IMO, if anyone is discussing whether or not these little details in their dress are sprezzatura, the automatic assumption is that they are not sprezzatura. [​IMG]

Bingo. Too calculated and it goes from being sprez to over-thinking your look. Sprez happens by chance, when you happen to like a combo or way of wearing something that looks good but doesn't typically apeal to most people's sartorial sensibilities.

IMO, something like going sockless on a hot day could be real sprez provided, of course, that the original intent was to keep physically cooler and not to thumb your nose at convention.

15. M. Bardamu

M. Bardamu Senior member

I express my "sprezzatura" by leaving fecal matter under my fingernails.