• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

being a devil's advocate

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Several times over the past month, I have had people within my org approach me to say "damn Milhouse, I wish I had the balls to say what you said in that meeting" or "wow, that took some balls to say that to Mr. XYZ, I really liked that".

What I can't figure out is whether this is good or bad. Admittedly, my tolerance for crap has diminished to nearly zero and I've been calling people on it.

I see two separate issues here, but the interplay between them could be significant.

A) I say things that rock the boat.

2) People have no balls these days.

Will being the "no-BS tell you how it is guy" actually pay off? Everyone always talks about how it is best for an organization to have diversity of thought and such. Does this actually pan out into career enhancement?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Milhouse
Several times over the past month, I have had people within my org approach me to say "damn Milhouse, I wish I had the balls to say what you said in that meeting" or "wow, that took some balls to say that to Mr. XYZ, I really liked that".

What I can't figure out is whether this is good or bad. Admittedly, my tolerance for crap has diminished to nearly zero and I've been calling people on it.

I see two separate issues here, but the interplay between them could be significant.

A) I say things that rock the boat.

2) People have no balls these days.

Will being the "no-BS tell you how it is guy" actually pay off? Everyone always talks about how it is best for an organization to have diversity of thought and such. Does this actually pan out into career enhancement?

You have to be demonstrably the best thing that ever came along, or the first semi-competent ass kisser to happen on the scene will eat your lunch.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
You have to be demonstrably the best thing that ever came along, or the first semi-competent ass kisser to happen on the scene will eat your lunch.

So is it always about the dollar or does ass kissing factor in too?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Milhouse
So is it always about the dollar or does ass kissing factor in too?

I know people that have made comfortable careers out of ass kissing. Never going to be at the c-level, usually get to about #2 in a department or division. But ass kissers are pretty good at tanking people they figure are competition for them.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good insight, thanks.

So, my next question is how do I hone malicious strategy skills? Where does one learn how to set up others to fail in order to trim the fat from an organization?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
+1

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Milhouse, i feel you. I'm the same way. It depends on the person. Some people love the no hold barred, honest approach. Others are stupid and want to live in their ignorance without others getting in the way with the "truth". Suckups are your biggest enemy though. I'm in a similar situation with a really bad 1 year grad program with lots of problems. I feel like i'm taking crazy pills in this program with so many flaws but everyone is just keeping their noses really really far up the coordinators' assholes. Piobare is exactly right about suckups being really crafty at sabotaging others. It's already happening to me and i'm a really easy guy to get along with.

People really have no balls these days. It's weird. If you're charming enough to make people really like you, then the honest/ballsy approach can work.

jhao

Reaction score
# 2, people have no balls, plus they are lazy as f&ck.

I have been working, in a serious enviroment, for around a year, and can´t belive how people in good position, are very lazy.

Maybe I'm too active and want to finish everything as soon as possible , but time passes and people don't solve their tasks.

Now everyone is in their comfort zone, and they don´t wanna get out of it.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 32 3.8%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 143 17.1%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 276 33.1%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 130 15.6%
  • 31 - 40