• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

being a devil's advocate

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Several times over the past month, I have had people within my org approach me to say "damn Milhouse, I wish I had the balls to say what you said in that meeting" or "wow, that took some balls to say that to Mr. XYZ, I really liked that".

What I can't figure out is whether this is good or bad. Admittedly, my tolerance for crap has diminished to nearly zero and I've been calling people on it.

I see two separate issues here, but the interplay between them could be significant.

A) I say things that rock the boat.

2) People have no balls these days.

Will being the "no-BS tell you how it is guy" actually pay off? Everyone always talks about how it is best for an organization to have diversity of thought and such. Does this actually pan out into career enhancement?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Milhouse
Several times over the past month, I have had people within my org approach me to say "damn Milhouse, I wish I had the balls to say what you said in that meeting" or "wow, that took some balls to say that to Mr. XYZ, I really liked that".

What I can't figure out is whether this is good or bad. Admittedly, my tolerance for crap has diminished to nearly zero and I've been calling people on it.

I see two separate issues here, but the interplay between them could be significant.

A) I say things that rock the boat.

2) People have no balls these days.

Will being the "no-BS tell you how it is guy" actually pay off? Everyone always talks about how it is best for an organization to have diversity of thought and such. Does this actually pan out into career enhancement?

You have to be demonstrably the best thing that ever came along, or the first semi-competent ass kisser to happen on the scene will eat your lunch.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
You have to be demonstrably the best thing that ever came along, or the first semi-competent ass kisser to happen on the scene will eat your lunch.

So is it always about the dollar or does ass kissing factor in too?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Milhouse
So is it always about the dollar or does ass kissing factor in too?

I know people that have made comfortable careers out of ass kissing. Never going to be at the c-level, usually get to about #2 in a department or division. But ass kissers are pretty good at tanking people they figure are competition for them.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good insight, thanks.

So, my next question is how do I hone malicious strategy skills? Where does one learn how to set up others to fail in order to trim the fat from an organization?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
+1

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Milhouse, i feel you. I'm the same way. It depends on the person. Some people love the no hold barred, honest approach. Others are stupid and want to live in their ignorance without others getting in the way with the "truth". Suckups are your biggest enemy though. I'm in a similar situation with a really bad 1 year grad program with lots of problems. I feel like i'm taking crazy pills in this program with so many flaws but everyone is just keeping their noses really really far up the coordinators' assholes. Piobare is exactly right about suckups being really crafty at sabotaging others. It's already happening to me and i'm a really easy guy to get along with.

People really have no balls these days. It's weird. If you're charming enough to make people really like you, then the honest/ballsy approach can work.

jhao

Reaction score
# 2, people have no balls, plus they are lazy as f&ck.

I have been working, in a serious enviroment, for around a year, and can´t belive how people in good position, are very lazy.

Maybe I'm too active and want to finish everything as soon as possible , but time passes and people don't solve their tasks.

Now everyone is in their comfort zone, and they don´t wanna get out of it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads