• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Being a caffeine addict is sweeeet...

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by randallr
I drink about 5 diet mountain dews a day.

I know a girl who does this.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Jeezus. I put on a strong brew early in the morning - pre-run. A cup then, and the rest for the drive in to work. That's four cups down once I hit the office. Another cup or two gets me through to lunch. After that I have to put the brakes on - water or gatorade - unless I have something going on after work - then it's another cup or two after work. Sometimes a cup if we have friends over for dinner and I don't want to nod off in front of them.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you taunting me? I can't tell.
I really do know a girl who does this but I thought I'd leave it as a subtle poke.

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
I really do know a girl who does this but I thought I'd leave it as a subtle poke.

I have to maintain my slim figure, why.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to maintain my slim figure, why.

You'll have to speed up then. You didn't dodge my riposte.

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Essentio
How did you manage to cut it out? Did you cut it out gradually, or at once and suffered the headaches?

I went cold turkey and the headaches subsided after two days.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Tell me about it - spent the whole day with a headache yesterday. Once a year is once too many...

+1,000000000000 I can deal with fasting but caffeine withdrawal/headeache on YK is the only part of the day I dread. I have a friend who works in a pharma co and brought home some slow release caffeine pills one year. It was excellent for the early morning but wore off by the afternoon and the headache made it's usual appearance.

bach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm curious- why would you guys quit coffee or caffeine? Health reasons? Or you just didn't want to be dependent on it? None of the above?

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bach
I'm curious- why would you guys quit coffee or caffeine? Health reasons? Or you just didn't want to be dependent on it? None of the above?

Not sure if you're talking about my post but I'm not quitting. I just fast once a year on Yom Kippur (which was yesterday) so it's a ***** dealing with no coffee that day.

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I quit caffeine because it has a major diuretic effect on me. When I first started training for a marathon I would have to stop every 3 to 4 miles to pee.

bach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gotcha. I was just wondering because my roommate over the summer claimed it could mess with your heart, but he was probably ill-informed.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gotcha. I was just wondering because my roommate over the summer claimed it could mess with your heart, but he was probably ill-informed.
Some study found that drinking unfiltered coffee, (like one made in a french press), could raise your cholesterol. I'm not sure if your roommate formulated it correctly, but that is probably what he meant. Most Americans drink filtered coffee so that is not a concern. Caffeine does seem to improve performance in some competitive sports according to credible news sources.

sinclairaw

Reaction score
i used to have 1-2 red bulls and tons of soda every day, and i felt like complete **** at 4 or so if i hadn't had enough by then. a few months ago, i cut all caffeine out of my diet and felt much better while it lasted, in addition to saving $5 a day or so in caffeinated beverages vs. water.

after a while i started drinking soda every now and then, and now i'm fairly hooked on it again but trying to stop. i feel like it prevents me from sleeping as deeply as i should, thus i'm constantly tired throughout the day and always am taking or trying to take naps.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Caffeine is amazing. Usually about 6-8 shots of espresso a day... Monsters are great too. What is interesting is that I don't ever get headaches if I stop for a day. Although I've never gone longer than a day.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads