• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beige sweaters question. Does anyone here wear beige sweaters and does it look creepy?

OldTown

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The fact that I or anyone else should happen to wear things that are of high quality (or price) doesn't make any value observation for others. I cannot be snobby, because snobbery requires one to evaluate others on the basis of their possessions or suck up to their superiors, which I do not.

But if I can be judged snooty because I prefer things that happen to be more expensive than the average polo shirt... well then, in that case I am equally justified in considering those who hunt for deals as being cheap.

People should find what works for them, but I don't find this approach resonates with me at all. I like some high-end stuff, but also some "low end" stuff. I think things can be good for different reasons. Sort of how you might like a really expensive meal, but also burritos from a local taqueria.

Some of my favorite items are "low end." A vintage Lee trucker jacket, Stan Ray fatigues (also recently Stan Ray painter pants!), Chuck Taylors 70s, Wrangler denim shirt, etc. I think Uniqlo shirts can look good in certain outfits. It just depends on what you're trying to create and how something makes you feel.

Uniqlo shirts are the epitome of boxy mass produced clothing. Why you would use that as an example is bizarre.

Uniqlo is pretty much the opposite of boxy.

OldTown

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Uniqlo is pretty much the opposite of boxy.
The **** are you talking about? All of their shirts fit with no shape and have to be altered to look properly fitted. It's no better than GAP except GAP probably has better quality.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The **** are you talking about? All of their shirts fit with no shape and have to be altered to look properly fitted. It's no better than GAP except GAP probably has better quality.

I think we have different definitions of slim fit and boxy, as I remember you mentioned elsewhere that you wear suit trousers with a 6" leg opening. That seems skin tight to me.

Uniqlo strikes me as very slim fit. I can't imagine someone taking it in further.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People should find what works for them, but I don't find this approach resonates with me at all. I like some high-end stuff, but also some "low end" stuff. I think things can be good for different reasons. Sort of how you might like a really expensive meal, but also burritos from a local taqueria.

Some of my favorite items are "low end." A vintage Lee trucker jacket, Stan Ray fatigues (also recently Stan Ray painter pants!), Chuck Taylors 70s, Wrangler denim shirt, etc. I think Uniqlo shirts can look good in certain outfits. It just depends on what you're trying to create and how something makes you feel.

I agree, and I like the food analogy. Personally I find that I have to put my own spin on the more casual items before I feel good in them. I also like 70s Converse and cotton jackets, for example, but I put off buying a denim jacket for years before I found one in New York that I really liked (By Robert James). Or artistic graphic t-shirts - I can wear them well and prefer to use those over plain ones for casual outfits. It isn't that I can buy whatever I want, but that I know my own style very well and would rather wait it out until I can find that idea in clothing.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LOL at people getting mad about Uniqlo's shirt shape...

We have almost literally arrived at the "Meet me outside Uniqlo" stage of the thread.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 90 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads