• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beige sweaters question. Does anyone here wear beige sweaters and does it look creepy?

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have tried some of these things. They don't do much for me. I have several Orazio jackets, for instance. They have handmade buttonholes. I honestly don't care about that. It doesn't enhance my enjoyment of the garment at all. I like the jackets for their silhouette (especially the bigger sleeve-heads), the fabrics, the fit, and some other fun design features like the bigger lapels or the patch ticket pockets. For shirts, I wear OCBDs 99/100 times. The best oxfords are RTW without any handwork. Here I enjoy the fabric and the collar. Sweaters are my favorite things to wear and hand-sewing isn't a thing there.

Some people are into clothes for the luxury or craftsmanship, but I am not. I like fabrics, textures, and colors, and decent silhouettes. There are people who enjoy wearing the finest things out there because they are the finest things out there, but this is not me.

Right, I figured we were probably approaching this from different angles. As far as jackets, I can't explain it - there's a certain satisfaction I get from knowing everything was handmade and handset, down to the pocket linings. But none of that matters if the fit or fabric is bad.

OCBDs are great under sweaters, so I can see why they're more useful to you. In fact, I think they're better than all other collars for that purpose. For me, I do appreciate the luxury aspect of certain clothes, so that factors into how I evaluate things.

For sweaters, have you ever tried a guernsey? Probably one of the best examples of a classic sweater, as it's been in use since well before the 15th century. I believe the sleeves are still set in by hand, which makes for a superior fit around the upper arms (as are many Breton sweaters). Regardless, they're worth a look, if only for the fact that they're fully reversible.

Last edited:

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On a serious note, I would like to see some WAYWT pics of you, for real though, I want to see if you are as good-looking as the high-end clothes you wear, no judgement or criticism at all, I am asking because I am genuinely curious. I have to wonder how does someone at your high-end clothing level would dress, who has so much disposable income to spend such large amounts of money on clothes. Post some pics and settle it for us plebs and normies once and for all, will you please? Thank you.

It would appear that the cost of trousers is the least of your worries.

Explore the forum sometime - like the fragrance of the day thread, where people are literally spraying $400 onto their skin every other post. It's a big, wide world out there you know.

Last edited:

wkt

Reaction score
It would appear that the cost of trousers is the least of your worries.

Explore the forum sometime - like the fragrance of the day thread, where people are literally spraying $400 onto their skin every other post. It's a big, wide world out there you know.

I know that there are expensive things out there, I just want to know if you are good enough for them. If you look like a model or a have-celebrity good looks and you wear very expensive clothes to maximize your beauty then yes, you have my respect. But, if you are an old middle-aged guy (sort of like those people who reside on Ask Andy forums) who is a bit chubby and/or got more money than sense, why bother wearing such expensive clothes (even if you are a rich guy who can afford anything) when you will look just as bad wearing $100 trousers (that you strangely despise, for some neurotic reasons...)? Go hit the gym and work on your body instead of throwing money away to sneaky clothing companies who prey on the gullible like you by writing ads stating "we take 20 careful measurements (or whatever number it says in the weblink you posted above) for every shirt we make so once we make the best shirt in the world for you it will fit perfectly over your flabby body and it will be an exquisite experience you will cherish for your life when you come buy clothes here, yeah baby come visit us now..."

Jlord

Reaction score
I know that there are expensive things out there, I just want to know if you are good enough for them. If you look like a model or a have-celebrity good looks and you wear very expensive clothes to maximize your beauty then yes, you have my respect. But, if you are an old middle-aged guy (sort of like those people who reside on Ask Andy forums) who is a bit chubby and/or got more money than sense, why bother wearing such expensive clothes (even if you are a rich guy who can afford anything) when you will look just as bad wearing $100 trousers (that you strangely despise, for some neurotic reasons...)? Go hit the gym and work on your body instead of throwing money away to sneaky clothing companies who prey on the gullible like you by writing ads stating "we take 20 careful measurements (or whatever number it says in the weblink you posted above) for every shirt we make so once we make the best shirt in the world for you it will fit perfectly over your flabby body and it will be an exquisite experience you will cherish for your life when you come buy clothes here, yeah baby come visit us now..."

Only good looking people should have nice things?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This thread is quickly becoming a Revolving thread!

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well now. I happen to think that tailoring in general can accommodate a wide variety of people, not solely those who are good looking.

For what it's worth, I am actually fairly young with an athletic build and large drop (38/27), and as for the rest... I'm not posting pictures, but let's say I don't frighten any small children.

The real question is how anyone who thinks Turnbull and Asser is a sneaky clothing company managed to stumble across Styleforum in the first place.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

wkt

Reaction score
Well now. I happen to think that tailoring in general can accommodate a wide variety of people, not solely those who are good looking.

For what it's worth, I am actually fairly young with an athletic build and large drop (38/27), and as for the rest... I'm not posting pictures, but let's say I don't frighten any small children.

The real question is how anyone who thinks Turnbull and Asser is a sneaky clothing company managed to stumble across Styleforum in the first place.

ok, i will bite, this is my favourite shirt: https://www.uniqlo.com/us/en/men-ox...#start=1&cgid=men-casual-shirts-oxford-shirts

What would you say is wrong with it and how does it compare to the expensive T&A shirts that you seem to prefer?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This is a stupid way of looking at clothes. Just buy stuff that makes you look good and feel good. Clothes are not standalone objects to be compared like electronics -- spec by spec, price by price, like some kind of apple cart or Best Buy DVD player. Put on the shirt and see if it looks good on you. See if it brings you any joy. If it does and you can afford it, buy it. This sort of analytical way of looking at clothes rips all the joy out of clothing. Do people do this with art and books and music? "Well this album is 1 hour long and costs $20, but this other album is only 47 mins long and costs $20."

Stylewords

Reaction score
If you're not sure about beige, you could always buy a cheaper colour.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a stupid way of looking at clothes. Just buy stuff that makes you look good and feel good. Clothes are not standalone objects to be compared like electronics -- spec by spec, price by price, like some kind of apple cart or Best Buy DVD player. Put on the shirt and see if it looks good on you. See if it brings you any joy. If it does and you can afford it, buy it. This sort of analytical way of looking at clothes rips all the joy out of clothing. Do people do this with art and books and music? "Well this album is 1 hour long and costs $20, but this other album is only 47 mins long and costs $20."

Exactly. I personally happen to regard pricing as nearly irrelevant. Certainly the least relevant factor in determining whether I like a particular item or not.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ok, i will bite, this is my favourite shirt: https://www.uniqlo.com/us/en/men-ox...#start=1&cgid=men-casual-shirts-oxford-shirts

What would you say is wrong with it and how does it compare to the expensive T&A shirts that you seem to prefer?

It's hard to make any kind of judgement on the basis on a picture without having the shirt in front of me. I have, however, taken a look at similar Uniqlo clothes in the past. The easiest thing would be to point out the points at which those two things would be the same. They are both shirts, with buttons on the front. They differ in almost every other aspect. Does that make the shirt wrong?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Exactly. I personally happen to regard pricing as nearly irrelevant. Certainly the least relevant factor in determining whether I like a particular item or not.

I think you're rubbing people the wrong way because many of your comments sound like they have an air of hoity-toity, the masses are dirty, and I can only be clothed in the finest of handmade silks. Whether this is your intention or not, I don't know. It does come off as snobby, as many people are not in a position to completely disregard price.

In any case, I hate talking about clothing prices because this is how every conversation devolves. It's a totally pointless topic, as everyone has different budgets, needs, interest level, economic utility, etc. When someone says something, it's almost certain to rub someone else the wrong way.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you're rubbing people the wrong way because many of your comments sound like they have an air of hoity-toity, the masses are dirty, and I can only be clothed in the finest of handmade silks. Whether this is your intention or not, I don't know. It does come off as snobby, as many people are not in a position to completely disregard price.

In any case, I hate talking about clothing prices because this is how every conversation devolves. It's a totally pointless topic, as everyone has different budgets, needs, interest level, economic utility, etc. When someone says something, it's almost certain to rub someone else the wrong way.

I think I specified earlier that my own preferences in clothing were not a commentary on what everyone else should wear, only that the clothing's attributes were unremarkable in this sort of hobby.

The fact that I or anyone else should happen to wear things that are of high quality (or price) doesn't make any value observation for others. I cannot be snobby, because snobbery requires one to evaluate others on the basis of their possessions or suck up to their superiors, which I do not.

But if I can be judged snooty because I prefer things that happen to be more expensive than the average polo shirt... well then, in that case I am equally justified in considering those who hunt for deals as being cheap.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads