• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beige suit. Pair with what color shirt/tie?

Reaction score
It's a light beige three button suit. (don't have the pics)

I'm wearing this to a wedding/cocktail affair in California. I would like to know what color shirt and tie should I pair with this suit. I already have a crisp white shirt. I have dark brown shoes.

I haven't wore a suit in a long time need your help.

Thanks

John Ellis

Reaction score
The best shirt is probably going to be a mid blue end on end although you might want to experiment with different shades of blue to get the optimum look. As a generalisation the darker blues are going to look better but NOT as dark as french blue. Ties? Terribly hard to say because there are so many choices but consider darker blue with a contrasting spot, say pink. Or check out some of those diagonal striped linen or linen/silk mix Italian ties in pink and white stripes. Yellow ties could also look good. Alternatively one of those ties by folks on Martha's Vineyard with shark or cocktail motifs. If plain Blue doesn't appeal for shirts check out blue check or stripes but the pattern needs to be pretty dense not too much white. Solid pink or patterned pink shirts would probably also work with this suit if you don't like blue.

John Ellis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tyronegoldberg
Thanks. I appreciate it.

Don't wear the white shirt with your tan suit. It's something of a sartorial faux pas basically because it looks awful.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by John Ellis
Don't wear the white shirt with your tan suit. It's something of a sartorial faux pas basically because it looks awful.

I understand. haha. I'm glad I found this forum. It's about time I start wearing clothes.

Thanks again and this won't be the last time you'll hear from me.

erhey92

Reaction score
I'm jumping on this thread because I need similar advice. I have a lightweight beige suit I'm wearing to get married in the Caribbean (casual wedding). The tough part is finding a shirt-tie combo that will match my fiancee's light blue/seafoam dress. Most things I've see recommend a blue shirt, but this looks crappy with seafoam. And it's hard to find a seafoam shirt (even if I did, what the hell kind of tie would I wear with it?). I know it's considered lame-o to wear a white shirt with a beige suite, but could I pull it off with the right tie?

Also, for shoes, I'm thinking of wearing tan suede moccasin-type shoes. Does this sound about right?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

lordofpi

Reaction score
^
Ignoring the fact that this thred is 4 months old, if you are really hell-bent on matching your fiancee's color, perhaps you could simply wear a white shirt with a turqoise (is that similar to "sea foam"?) tie and similar colored pocket square. Beige is neutral, and there are a lot of options. As for shoes, I would at least use some sort of captoe oxford in brown, though a lot of this would be dictated by (1) the size of the wedding, and (2) the level of formality of the bridge/groom.

markv

Reaction score
Well I have run in to a similar dillema, I can't find a seafoam green shirt or tie at all!! I need to find it or something close or she will kill me, lol. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
-mark

sarto

Reaction score
im also in a similar situation. haha. i have a 3 piece beige/tan suit that i'll be wearing for my DA internship -- it has a very subtle horizontal pattern with the weave - i would assume a light blue or maybe even a light pink would work? i'll post pics of it next week since it's getting altered right now.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some options with a Blue Shirt: I used a Trench Coat we had in the Kids store just for color.

beige1.jpg
beige2.jpg

beige3.jpg
beige4.jpg

beige5.jpg
beige6.jpg

beige7.jpg
beige8.jpg

markv

Reaction score
Yea, well i dont have beige suit.. i actually just need a seafoam green tie/ shirt. Maybe Im in the wrong thread.
smile.gif

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I pair my tan suit with either light blue for a more dressier occasion such as a wedding etc. or my preference is for gingham in either, navy, mid-blue, red or mauve.

But this also depends on your skin type - as I have a slight olive complexion need to separate the tan (which always tend to have either a yellow or green hue) with sharper colours like the ones above.

As for ties, I tend to go for a solid knit.

Hope this helps - trying to find a pic..

gumercindo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
depends on the shade of tan. White and light blue are best, but if you're feeling bolder, a indigo gingham, for example, is a nice touch.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads