• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Behind Closed Doors: Upcoming Paper Pattern and Suit-making Demonstration by Savile Row Cutter

bboysdontcryy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All began when Edwin Deboise and Mahon discussed briefly the differences between drafting methods -- 'Rock of Eye' and using Manipulations -- on the LL and elsewhere.

Being the clothing hobbyist I am, I then plied my cutter, whom I've been using for some time now, with questions that span a gamut of topics: How shoulder expressions can be adjusted on the pattern, how one creates a drape and swelled chest, the appropriate button stance commensurate with one's height, the differences between the various styles on the Row etc.

I reckon he must be tired of spending so much time explaining how stuff is done (LOL).

He recently agreed to spend an evening providing a free mini-lecture and demonstration on how those 'inches and centimeters' he takes, are turned into a paper pattern, and how he goes about adjusting for physiological differences when cutting a suit.

Since I've gained a lot from the forum, I thought I'd open this free demonstration and mini-lecture type Q & A to like-minded clothing hobbyists and those who are keen on seeing how a paper pattern is cut after measurements are taken and how a suit is then made up by the coat-maker.

This is also probably a stellar (and free) opportunity to ask basic questions about the ideal style that suits one's physique, gathering a professional and more technical insight into the 'myths' behind bespeaking a suit -- soft and military.

If anybody is interested in bringing a picture on Foo's critique of NSM's shoulders etc, it'd probably be interesting to hear a professional opinion on it.

Question: Are there any topics or questions I (as well as others) should pose?

Cutter

John McCabe, the cutter, is a Savile Row stalwart and spent 12 years at Dege and Skinner, and 17 years as a head cutter at Kilgour, and before that, at Carr, Son and Woor where Lyndon Johnson famously stomped in saying: 'I want to look like a British diplomat'.

More information on him here

Meeting Details:

I haven't arranged a date for the mini-lecture yet since he only just agreed to do this an hour ago. But I'm thinking of having it in the evening after work where most of us will probably be free. You might need to come up with an excuse to tell your wife, however.

Any opinions on date and time?

Some pictures

Not sure how relevant these pictures are, but I figured I might as well post an example of a conservative business suit (My first DB with him since I prefer SBs) I had him make up quite some time ago. Stylistic preferences like a more waist-ed silhouette with swelled chest with a touch of drape are mine.

Only had one fitting for this because I went abroad for a bit and had him send the coat to me thereafter.

Yes, I know, I'm a dwarf.

Last edited:

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice one on getting a lecture opportunity. I hope I can be there after my exams.

I think a key topic should be an illustration of Traditional LL drape and the military cut.

I am more keen about why he choose the tailoring business when he is young, so more about his life generally.

Last edited:

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Sounds very interesting. Someone in London should record this and post for the benefit of us New Yorkers.

johanm

Reaction score
That's a really awesome DB jacket. Ideal buttoning point, lapel shape, and amount of wrap IMO.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I must say bboysdontcryy's outfits are always tasteful.

bboysdontcryy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys -- the suit's rather conservative. Unbel, recording it sounds like an extremely good idea, and it'd probably be informative for the rest who can't make it in person. Of course, the technical bits will be a challenge.

Are there general topics/or burning questions that somebody attending should think about posing?

Would be good to hear some so the cutter can touch on topics that are less common, and which aren't overdone. Want to make the best of this opportunity since it's very rare to be able to get a mini-lecture/demonstration.

I'll think of qns of course, but I probably don't know what I don't know.

Last edited:

P-K-L

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
C, +1 on the idea of recording a video, I would also be very interested.

Nice DB too! Did you explicitly ask for 4 buttons (vs 6)?

bboysdontcryy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

C, +1 on the idea of recording a video, I would also be very interested.

Nice DB too! Did you explicitly ask for 4 buttons (vs 6)?

I 'shuttled' back and forth between 4 and 6 given my height and proportions. Do you think it'd have been better off with 6?

Duke below has 4

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This sounds like a great opportunity, bboy.

Some ideas for questions:

1. I'd like to know if he thinks it makes any difference in the end product whether a cutter drafts a pattern using a block pattern, drafting formula, or Rock of Eye.
2. In his time in the business, has he seen any changes in how cutters are trained, or how long they train for?
3. Does he think it makes a difference if the cutter is at the fitting?

Thomas Mahon had a cutting demonstrate/ lecture for clothing enthusiasts many years ago. I think some members here went. If any did, perhaps we can get ideas for questions from them, based on what they saw there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads