• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beginning Lifting

Jekyll

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So...I've decided I ought to start working out some. There is a YMCA a few blocks from my house, and I think I should be able to commit to a couple hours a week. The problem is I have no idea where to start. I've never even been in a gym in my life. I've never played sports, except for pickup basketball, touch football and stuff like that.

I'm 19 and really skinny, 125-130 pounds or so, and about 5'10". I don't want to be huge, but I would like to get a bit bigger.

Any ideas of where to start? Or does anyone know of any good websites that would help?

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Try to google around for the Rippetoe routine, seems to be the best place for a beginner to start.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
at 5'10 and 130lb, i wouldnt worry about getting huge. spend a year doing:

pullups
squats
deadlifts
dips
bench press
close-grip bench press
military press
lunges
some barbell curls

do upper body twice a week and lower twice and mix up the lifts.

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd recommend you do push ups, pull ups, walking lunges and crunches for a couple weeks (1-2 sets of each, every other day).
This will also give you some time to do some research online and/or read the extensive amount of literature this thread is likely to generate.

Proceed gentlemen. . . .

illegalcheeser

Reaction score
I've used Starting Strength to some success. It makes for short workouts too. Check google.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07

pullups
squats
deadlifts
dips
bench press
close-grip bench press
military press
lunges
some barbell curls

You forgot the standard "Eat everything that doesn't move. If it moves, kill it and eat it."

Silverback

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My advice to everyone who just starts to work out is to start low on everything. You get your most gain on the way up and if you lift a lot of weight it is easy too be discouraged. If you start light you make immediate gains which is encouraging, you have an easier time doing proper form and you do not feel weak or just quit.

I think a good rule of thumb, and the kunk will correct me if I am wrong I hope, is to workout the biggest muscle to the smallest in a muscle group.

Example would be to do bench press first, incline bench, fly's and then move to your arms (Biceps or triceps, whatever you are doing).

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Silverback
I think a good rule of thumb, and the kunk will correct me if I am wrong I hope, is to workout the biggest muscle to the smallest in a muscle group.

Example would be to do bench press first, incline bench, fly's and then move to your arms (Biceps or triceps, whatever you are doing).

Kunk's advice is better. You want to do big, basic compound movements first if you want to put on some mass and then focus on fine-tuning after (if at all).

Francis91

Reaction score
I also suggest working with a personal trainer so that they can help you our with showing you exercises, proper form, etc...

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yes, when you get to that point of doing isolation too, i agree. but no isolation for him yet.

Originally Posted by Silverback
My advice to everyone who just starts to work out is to start low on everything. You get your most gain on the way up and if you lift a lot of weight it is easy too be discouraged. If you start light you make immediate gains which is encouraging, you have an easier time doing proper form and you do not feel weak or just quit.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
no offense, but most of them will show you none of these things.

Originally Posted by Francis91
I also suggest working with a personal trainer so that they can help you our with showing you exercises, proper form, etc...

Francis91

Reaction score

None taken. I guess it depends on the gym and reputation of their trainers. I have seen some that really are helpful and some that just don't give a ****.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I did really well with "getting stronger" by Dave? Pearl - positve about the name ofthe book, pretty sure about the name fo the author. find a gym where people really lift weights, not where people go to flirt

Jekyll

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

pullups
squats
deadlifts
dips
bench press
close-grip bench press
military press
lunges
some barbell curls

Originally Posted by Francis91

Where is a good place to learn the exercises? Any good websites? I don't know what most of those are.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads