• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Beginning Lifting

Jekyll

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2008
Messages
6,274
Reaction score
21
So...I've decided I ought to start working out some. There is a YMCA a few blocks from my house, and I think I should be able to commit to a couple hours a week. The problem is I have no idea where to start. I've never even been in a gym in my life. I've never played sports, except for pickup basketball, touch football and stuff like that.


I'm 19 and really skinny, 125-130 pounds or so, and about 5'10". I don't want to be huge, but I would like to get a bit bigger.


Any ideas of where to start? Or does anyone know of any good websites that would help?
 

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Mar 15, 2006
Messages
17,869
Reaction score
1,256
Try to google around for the Rippetoe routine, seems to be the best place for a beginner to start.
 

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Apr 27, 2007
Messages
18,440
Reaction score
2,957
at 5'10 and 130lb, i wouldnt worry about getting huge. spend a year doing:

pullups
squats
deadlifts
dips
bench press
close-grip bench press
military press
lunges
some barbell curls

do upper body twice a week and lower twice and mix up the lifts.
 

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Joined
Aug 9, 2006
Messages
6,970
Reaction score
42
I'd recommend you do push ups, pull ups, walking lunges and crunches for a couple weeks (1-2 sets of each, every other day).
This will also give you some time to do some research online and/or read the extensive amount of literature this thread is likely to generate.

Proceed gentlemen. . . .
 

illegalcheeser

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 20, 2008
Messages
46
Reaction score
2
I've used Starting Strength to some success. It makes for short workouts too. Check google.
 

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 19, 2007
Messages
4,136
Reaction score
3
Originally Posted by thekunk07
at 5'10 and 130lb, i wouldnt worry about getting huge. spend a year doing:

pullups
squats
deadlifts
dips
bench press
close-grip bench press
military press
lunges
some barbell curls

do upper body twice a week and lower twice and mix up the lifts.


You forgot the standard "Eat everything that doesn't move. If it moves, kill it and eat it."
 

Silverback

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 17, 2008
Messages
1,114
Reaction score
0
My advice to everyone who just starts to work out is to start low on everything. You get your most gain on the way up and if you lift a lot of weight it is easy too be discouraged. If you start light you make immediate gains which is encouraging, you have an easier time doing proper form and you do not feel weak or just quit.

I think a good rule of thumb, and the kunk will correct me if I am wrong I hope, is to workout the biggest muscle to the smallest in a muscle group.

Example would be to do bench press first, incline bench, fly's and then move to your arms (Biceps or triceps, whatever you are doing).
 

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 19, 2007
Messages
4,136
Reaction score
3
Originally Posted by Silverback
I think a good rule of thumb, and the kunk will correct me if I am wrong I hope, is to workout the biggest muscle to the smallest in a muscle group.

Example would be to do bench press first, incline bench, fly's and then move to your arms (Biceps or triceps, whatever you are doing).


Kunk's advice is better. You want to do big, basic compound movements first if you want to put on some mass and then focus on fine-tuning after (if at all).
 

Francis91

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 20, 2008
Messages
364
Reaction score
0
I also suggest working with a personal trainer so that they can help you our with showing you exercises, proper form, etc...
 

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Apr 27, 2007
Messages
18,440
Reaction score
2,957
yes, when you get to that point of doing isolation too, i agree. but no isolation for him yet.


Originally Posted by Silverback
My advice to everyone who just starts to work out is to start low on everything. You get your most gain on the way up and if you lift a lot of weight it is easy too be discouraged. If you start light you make immediate gains which is encouraging, you have an easier time doing proper form and you do not feel weak or just quit.

I think a good rule of thumb, and the kunk will correct me if I am wrong I hope, is to workout the biggest muscle to the smallest in a muscle group.

Example would be to do bench press first, incline bench, fly's and then move to your arms (Biceps or triceps, whatever you are doing).
 

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Apr 27, 2007
Messages
18,440
Reaction score
2,957
no offense, but most of them will show you none of these things.


Originally Posted by Francis91
I also suggest working with a personal trainer so that they can help you our with showing you exercises, proper form, etc...
 

Francis91

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 20, 2008
Messages
364
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by thekunk07
no offense, but most of them will show you none of these things.

None taken. I guess it depends on the gym and reputation of their trainers. I have seen some that really are helpful and some that just don't give a fuck.
 

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Sep 28, 2004
Messages
20,607
Reaction score
400
I did really well with "getting stronger" by Dave? Pearl - positve about the name ofthe book, pretty sure about the name fo the author. find a gym where people really lift weights, not where people go to flirt
 

Jekyll

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2008
Messages
6,274
Reaction score
21
Originally Posted by thekunk07
at 5'10 and 130lb, i wouldnt worry about getting huge. spend a year doing:

pullups
squats
deadlifts
dips
bench press
close-grip bench press
military press
lunges
some barbell curls

do upper body twice a week and lower twice and mix up the lifts.


Originally Posted by Francis91
I also suggest working with a personal trainer so that they can help you our with showing you exercises, proper form, etc...

Originally Posted by thekunk07
no offense, but most of them will show you none of these things.


Where is a good place to learn the exercises? Any good websites? I don't know what most of those are.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 32 3.8%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 144 17.1%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 280 33.2%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 132 15.7%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 71 8.4%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 49 5.8%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 25 3.0%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 22 2.6%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 17 2.0%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 8 0.9%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 9 1.1%
  • 100+

    Votes: 54 6.4%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
429,263
Messages
9,231,434
Members
193,783
Latest member
nathanielguyen
Top