• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beginner to Dressing

Ethandale

Reaction score
Hello. I am very new to the whole "fashion" world, and as I progress through college, I am realizing (not that I already didn't, it's just hitting me a lot faster and a lot harder) that cargo shorts and star wars t-shirts aren't going to cut it anymore. In terms of dressing nicely, I go straight from jeans/tucked-in polo to a full blown tuxedo. My only dress shoes are my shiny black tuxedo shoes, and my only belt is a brown belt that I wear with my jeans. Other students are coming in to present their portfolios and projects in suits, blazers, and other very fancy wear, that no matter what store I go to, I cannot seem to find (unless I want to spend upwards of $500 per outfit, which must be what my classmates are doing. However, unlike them, my parents are not funding me, so my budget is significantly lower). I attached a picture of my current "dressy" wardrobe, or at least what I have with me at the moment. I have a solid sunny yellow polo in addition to this, and two other striped polos, maroon and teal mixed with black and white. I just purchased these at the store, 2 pair of black pants and 2 pair of khaki pants, along with a button up-shortsleeve checkerboard sort of shirt. I am wildly new to all of this, and I could use all the help and advice I can get. Thanks in advance!

O7rVjHd.jpg

thesilentist

Reaction score
There's a lot of FAQs and 101s out there for men's clothing and style. Start by reading those.

Go here: http://www.styleforum.net/atype/5/Styleforum_101

Read the "hottest topics" list of articles. You need a baseline of knowledge first before you go out and buy more clothes.

Honestly, it sounds like you don't own a suit. You're going to need one at some point. Here's a good article:
http://putthison.com/post/148744637333/what-should-you-get-for-your-first-suit-there-are

If I were you, I'd return those khakis and black trousers and that polo shirt and get your money back. Those aren't the foundations of a good wardrobe. Stop buying polo shirts and buy a white dress shirt. Or a light blue dress shirt. Buy a pair of grey wool trousers. Get a real pair of dress shoes.

And, honestly, be prepared to spend more than you're used to for clothing. Sure, you can thrift and try eBay, but that process isn't as newbie friendly as finding something off the rack that fits you correctly.

You should probably learn the basics about suit fit, too:
http://putthison.com/post/68275226897/does-it-fit-checklist-a-friend-of-mine-recently

ThomGault

Reaction score
Thesilentist nailed it. Take back the polo and black pants. Get a few staples, like a white button down shirt, light blue button down shirt, a navy blazer, a pair of medium gray wool trousers, a pair of medium brown wool trousers, a charcoal suit, three simple ties, a pair of good black oxford shoes and a pair of good burgundy shoes. You're on a budget, but quality clothing isn't cheap. Do you want to pay more now, or more later? That's the question of quality clothing.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK, I'm going to segment the discussion based upon your post.

"professional" wardrobe - by that I mean when you are doing your presentations at college
"regular" wardrobe - what you wear to class and around campus.

For the "professional" wardrobe - 1 pair of slacks (wool or gabardine, not dockers), a blazer, 1 white and 1 blue shirt and 2 ties are good.
Get yourself a pair of $80 brown or black dress shoes to go with it. Brown are versatile - they can be worn with much more. Black is stuck with black, blue and grey. You're paying your bills so no need to "invest" in $300 dress shoes. You're going to be wearing these shoes a few times a year through college - don't overspend now, it just isn't worth it.
You should be able to do all this for $250. If you can't, start with the white shirt and 1 tie.

I wouldn't recommend a suit right now. You've got better things to spend your money on right now.

Now, the second area is updating your personal wardrobe. With that you have more time. Start replacing cargo shorts with regular style shorts and replacing star wars tees with solid tees and button down shirts.

Shoes for campus depends upon how much walking you do. For my 1st 2 years in college, it was all walking. There were no buses on campus and it was a large campus. I would literally wear through a pair of tennis shoes in a year. In that kind of walking situation it's just dumb to spend money in dressier shoes for day-to-day.

You can upgrade your shoes for going out to be something nicer. But, if paying your own way, again I wouldn't recommend buying $200-300 shoes. You can buy decent looking $80 shoes again. It's all great until someone spills bear on your nice shoes or something happens to them in some other situation at college. It doesn't sound like you're at some prissy college where dress code is important to not be ostracized so I would do slight upgrades.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The dress shirts should have barrel cuffs. French cuffs are too fancy for less-than-formal wear for almost any young man. At least one of the dress shirts should not have a button-down collar, for the latter is less than ideal with a suit.

A black belt should also be on the must-buy list.

If interviews for internships or graduation are coming within a year, then buying a suit soon is a good idea. Put This On's article about that is adequate, except for the implicit suggestion that a newbie buying a suit online makes much sense. The suit will need to fit at least okay upon purchase and if necessary be tailored into near-perfection.

If a suit, then dress shoes that are full price at $80 likely will fall short. Allen Edmonds Park Avenue is the fancy version of that; its details should be copied as much as possible.

Last edited:

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People on this forum always seem to think everyone needs $350 dress shoes. They don't. If you are wearing dress shoes every day at work, it makes a lot of sense (thus the reason I own about a dozen pairs of AE/ Alden) shoes. For someone that isn't wearing dress shoes on the job daily, there are much better ways to spend money. If you are wearing dress shoes a couple times a year, you don't need AE shoes. Especially not if you're 19 year old college student paying for your own clothes and such.

IssaBoulos

Reaction score
Agree that not everyone needs $350 dress shoes.

I wear them daily for work and have a few pair of Alden's and one pair of AE. It has been raining like crazy lately so I've been wearing a pair of black plain toe Cole Haan's I bought before a funeral a few years ago...I think I paid $70-80 at dsw or something.

They're actually great shoes...very comfortable, a lot more durable than I would have expected, and if I keep them polished up they still look much better than the shoes I see most of my colleagues wearing.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cole Hahn for $80 max at maybe DSW is not full price. No one said $350. Perhaps $130 regular price will provide enough similarity to the classic Park Avenue. (By the way, a half-leather, aka combination, sole should be good enough for interviewing for a young man.)

Last edited:

ThomGault

Reaction score

People on this forum always seem to think everyone needs $350 dress shoes.  They don't.  If you are wearing dress shoes every day at work, it makes a lot of sense (thus the reason I own about a dozen pairs of AE/ Alden) shoes.  For someone that isn't wearing dress shoes on the job daily, there are much better ways to spend money.  If you are wearing dress shoes a couple times a year, you don't need AE shoes.  Especially not if you're 19 year old college student paying for your own clothes and such.

To what $350 shoes do you refer? I'm assuming park aves, but that's not necessarily the price. Seconds can be had much more cheaply.. ~$200 if one can wait til the next holiday as there will surely be a sale. Or, even better, one can get Meermin black captoe oxfords for $210 including shipping every day, no need to wait for a sale.
I understand your point about a college student possibly not needing to wear the shoes often, but really, a solid dependable black captoe is something a man needs for life. In my experience, the cheaper shoes don't hold up even with little use, and the $80 would be better used for a quality shoe. Personally, I'm too poor to afford disposable goods like $80 shoes.

Last edited:

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lot of great advice here, you should be off and running. I generally agree that you don't need to be named Rockefeller to dress well, but do absolutely try to buy the best you can afford. You won't regret it. Good clothes last longer (if cared for) and look better.

As you learn more you will come to appreciate quality and will gradually upgrade your wardrobe as budget allows. We have all been there--at least those of us not born with a name like Rockefeller.

Finally note that your pursuit should not be "fashion," which is about chasing trends and brands, but rather style, which is durable, personal and immune to passing fads. Congratulations on casting off the cargo shorts and joining the ranks of men who dress like men.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads