• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beers for Summer?

mrpologuy

Reaction score
What are some good beers to drink on hot summer days and nights? I usually drink Red Stripe and Sam Adams cheery wheat and summer ale. What other beers are good for summer? I was thinking wheat style Blegian beers might be good for summer. Thanks for the help!!

Reaction score
I really like Liefmans Kreik. Warning though, it doesn't taste like it's as strong as it is (6% ABV).

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think Red Stripe is shite. It's like the Budweiser of Jamaica.

You are right about the wheat beers. Brasserie Caracole's Troublette is one of my favorites. Unibroue's La Fin du Monde is a light Belgian Strong Ale that I like a lot as well.

chrysalid

Reaction score
red stripe is ******* horrible, it's the jamaican carling. i love bavarian wheat beers - i think erdinger is the biggest selling, but one of the supermarkets over here stocks weihenstephaner kristall ( http://www.brauerei-weihenstephan.de...page=home_2_1& ) - it's currently my favourite tipple.

a different supermarket over here was stocking a bit of this - http://www.etalon-beer.com.ua/ger/etalon/product - a ukrainian beer repro beer of the bavarian heffeweissbier (simmila in theory to japanese 501 repro's i suppose) - i bought one bottle and it was v. v. nice.

i'd stay away from the stronger belgian beers for the summer, not quenchign enough for me when the sun is beating down. i used to work in a bar that sold leffe, antoon and hoegarden (leffe is 6.6%abv) draught, and we did kwak and duvel in bottles (7-8%abv) - i still get flashbacks to the mind splitting hangovers of those days.

if you're after a fuller flavoured, but less alcoholic lager then the daddy of them all has to be pilsner urquell from czech - http://www.pilsnerurquell.com/ - allegedly the first ever amber 'lager'. it is very hoppy so you can chill it right down to near freezing and still taste it, and if i remember correctly it is about 4.7%abv - a perfect summer beer.

chrysalid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnnymarrsbarres
I really like Liefmans Kreik. Warning though, it doesn't taste like it's as strong as it is (6% ABV).

i had a bottle of this last night, it's my fave of the belgian fruit beers, nicer imho than the more expensive belle vue's. i only drink the kreik though (my girlfriend bought me a couple of bottles with the kreik glass a few xmas's ago) as it is dry and refreshing, i find the framboise too sweet.

edit - i'm a bit of a beer nerd - i'm gonna start a what beer did you drink last night thread with a couple of photos - check it out if you're interested.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Red Stripe (and Budweiser) is fine for slumming.

Heavy beers can be bad (pilsner urquell or stella artois have nice, crisp flavors and always seem to taste cold), but I love a good IPA in the summer. Just Sierra Nevada, Red Hook, or my favorite, Dogfish Head 60-minute IPA (the 90 and 120 are too strong).

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Harpoon IPA I find is very nice.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Lord Chesterfield Ale (ice cold)
smile.gif

Spencer Young

Reaction score
If you get the brewery's beer in your area, New Belgium Brewery has a nice summer seasonal out right now called Skinny Dip. It's quite crisp and refreshing. New Belgium is out of Fort Collins, CO, so if you're in the midwest you should be able to find it (they also make Fat Tire). http://www.newbelgium.com/beers_skinnydip.php

Blue Moon is always readily available and goes great on hot nights. Toss in a slice of orange and you're all set.

And for good measure, I'm fairly certain that Chimay Grand Reserve goes well regardless of time, place, occassion, or anything else.

And ditto on the Red Stripe, don't do that to yourself.

Cheers!

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just to shoot out a few unique beers Ive had so far this summer:

*Corona with Lime (i hear this was actually started to keep the flies away)
Magic Hat no.9
Saranac
Milwaukee's Best Light!

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Couple of other favorites this time of year:

Allagash White
Smuttynose IPA
Victory Golden Monkey -
Bear Republic - Racer 5

Englandmj7

Reaction score
Not to be a fancy-lad fruity-boy, but I love Pyramid's Apricot Hefeweizen on a hot summer's day. Easy to find as well.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For summer?

Start with a witbier like Witterkerke. VERY nice for a hot summer evening (95 farehneit last night here). Another excellent choice are Flemish red sour ales (the only one I have been able to find recently here is the Duchesse de Bourgogne but it is very good). And, of course,a plain old simple lager - I'll plug the home team here, KEO from my hometown Limassol
biggrin.gif

Oh and for Japanophiles here, Hitachino Nest white ale. Very close in character to a witbier but has its own character and excellent in its own right.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads