Beers for Summer?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by mrpologuy, Jun 20, 2006.

1. SGladwell

SGladwell Senior member

My favorite summer beers are Veltins and any Kristalweisse I can get my hands on. (Around here, it's just Tucher, but it's reasonably good stuff.)

Also, lately I've been enjoying Kölsch from a local microbrewer.

2. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

Corona with lime cannot be beat for me. I always drink Mexican beer in the summer, and I suspect Mojitos will be consumed this one as well.

3. Stu

Stu Senior member

Corona with lime cannot be beat for me. I always drink Mexican beer in the summer, and I suspect Mojitos will be consumed this one as well.

Good call on the Mojitos, Brian. I'm on a huge kick now. I get a couple of spearmint plants every week from my grocer and put them on the window sill and clip off leaves as I need them for the mojitos. I really have to upgrade my barware though as my cooler-style glasses don't cut it for mojitos.

Make sure you use key limes and not tahitan ones, though.

That way you can also make some frozen daquiris.

4. johnnymarrsbarres

johnnymarrsbarres Active Member

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Krombacher and Staropramen. Both are excellent crisp beers and good for the summer. Though the most refreshing thing for summer IMO a nice gin and tonic. Last week I was out and the sun was beating down so I stopped in a bar. A gin and tonic, the best jukebox you could imagine and an empty bar..if something beats that on a summer lunchtime I'd love to hear it!

5. Stu

Stu Senior member

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Krombacher and Staropramen. Both are excellent crisp beers and good for the summer. Though the most refreshing thing for summer IMO a nice gin and tonic. Last week I was out and the sun was beating down so I stopped in a bar. A gin and tonic, the best jukebox you could imagine and an empty bar..if something beats that on a summer lunchtime I'd love to hear it!

I see your point, but I would venture that a dozen oysters on the half-shell and a pitcher of draft in a beach-front shack might edge out the G&T

6. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

I see your point, but I would venture that a dozen oysters on the half-shell and a pitcher of draft in a beach-front shack might edge out the G&T

I'll see your oysters and raise you a small restaraunt at the edge of the Mediterrannean with several bottles of KEO and a plate piled with fresh-fried small maritha (μαρίδα) fish, souvlakia, sheftalia & fried squid with piles of large chips.
    Blast, it you people are making me homesick [​IMG]

P.s. San Juan sounds awfully nice though [​IMG]

7. Oddly Familiar

Oddly Familiar Senior member

Go with Mickies. Technically it's a malt liquor, but I call it beer. 12% ABV. Make it as cold as possible, and just drink. It's only $1.40 for a 40 oz. If that doesn't quench your thirst nothing will.

Around here, kids get Keystone because it's 30 beers for 15 bucks. Tastes like piss though. Well, until you get to the 9th one. Then you can't really taste it.

8. Stu

Stu Senior member

I'll see your oysters and raise you a small restaraunt at the edge of the Mediterrannean with several bottles of KEO and a plate piled with fresh-fried small maritha (μαρίδα) fish, souvlakia, sheftalia & fried squid with piles of large chips.
    Blast, it you people are making me homesick [​IMG]

P.s. San Juan sounds awfully nice though [​IMG]

Seems the only way we can settle this debate is to try them all. Actually the oysters and draft are more of a Florida thing. In San Juan you have these little kiosks on the beach that sell pinchos, which are just kabobs, in pork, chicken or beef -- also crab turnovers and conch or octopus salad in plastic cups, drowning in lime, cilantro and oil, and washed down with a cold Medalla beer. Come to think of it, that's pretty damned nice too.

9. Stu

Stu Senior member

Around here, kids get Keystone because it's 30 beers for 15 bucks. Tastes like piss though. Well, until you get to the 9th one. Then you can't really taste it.

As opposed to Mickies wide mouth, which tastes like champagne? [​IMG]

10. johnnymarrsbarres

johnnymarrsbarres Active Member

Hey I live in Manchester. We don't have a beach and it rains 50 weeks of the year.

11. Spencer Young

Spencer Young Senior member

Go with Mickies. Technically it's a malt liquor, but I call it beer. 12% ABV. Make it as cold as possible, and just drink. It's only $1.40 for a 40 oz. If that doesn't quench your thirst nothing will.

I feel like in that situation "quench your thirst" means that you stumble around for a bit and pass out. Although there is a nice mental image of someone in a bespoke linen suit or $300 Japanese jeans picking the most raw alcohol for their buck to cool off.

12. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

Seems the only way we can settle this debate is to try them all. Actually the oysters and draft are more of a Florida thing. In San Juan you have these little kiosks on the beach that sell pinchos, which are just kabobs, in pork, chicken or beef -- also crab turnovers and conch or octopus salad in plastic cups, drowning in lime, cilantro and oil, and washed down with a cold Medalla beer. Come to think of it, that's pretty damned nice too.

The latter sounds much better than the oysters [​IMG]

13. visionology

visionology Senior member

I've been doing the Corona thing all summer so far. $2 corona nights on Thursday is great too!

I second...or third, the mojitos. I tried the caipirinhas as recommended on this forum and those are very good as well.

14. musiczone

musiczone Member

So far this summer I've been enjoying Celis White, It's similar to Hoegarten but more spicy.

15. javyn

javyn Senior member

Best beer ever. Beats the hell out of Corona, IMO

[​IMG]