• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beer

jmswentworth

Reaction score
I know this may seem like a stupid topic, but I just cannot drink Beer. This has often lead to problems is social situations, as there are a often places which serve nothing but Beer, a collection of undrinkable sweet vile wines, or pre mixed 'Alco pops' vis Smirnoff Ice.

Somehow I find the taste of beer similar to drain water..

I've tried having several whiskies before leaving the house, to try to mask the taste of the Beer, it doesn't work. Even after 4-5 whiskies, I still cannot stand the taste of Beer.

The Alco pops are not options because I don't drink 'women's drinks'

Wine is also not an option, because they are so vile. They are worse than cooking wines.

I know the easiest option would be to stop going to such establishments. However, this is not possible; there are so many people who want to see a traditional British pub, or a heavy techno club... I have to take them for business relations.

Perhaps a mindset goes with drinking Beer, because I do not know anyone else who enjoys his or her alcohol, as I do, but cannot drink Beer... Even if they do not particularly enjoy it, they still manage to drink it; the most I have managed is a quarter of a bottle.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're not alone. I despise beer. It is truly vile. Name the brand, name the style, I don't like it.

bob

PHV

Reaction score
I know this may seem like a stupid topic, but I just cannot drink Beer. This has often lead to problems is social situations, as there are a often places which serve nothing but Beer, a collection of undrinkable sweet vile wines, or pre mixed 'Alco pops' vis Smirnoff Ice.

Somehow I find the taste of beer similar to drain water..

I've tried having several whiskies before leaving the house, to try to mask the taste of the Beer, it doesn't work. Even after 4-5 whiskies, I still cannot stand the taste of Beer.

The Alco pops are not options because I don't drink 'women's drinks'

Wine is also not an option, because they are so vile. They are worse than cooking wines.

I know the easiest option would be to stop going to such establishments. However, this is not possible; there are so many people who want to see a traditional British pub, or a heavy techno club... I have to take them for business relations.

Perhaps a mindset goes with drinking Beer, because I do not know anyone else who enjoys his or her alcohol, as I do, but cannot drink Beer... Even if they do not particularly enjoy it, they still manage to drink it; the most I have managed is a quarter of a bottle.
I hate beer. I hate it so much...

Drink hard alcohol... Jack and coke is a very common drink... it isn't a "girly" drink at all. A lot of guys also drink vodka and cranberry juice. There are many ways out of drinking that vile brew.

solzhenitsyn

Reaction score
Try explaining to people that you can't drink more than 1-2oz of beer without getting seriously sick to your stomach
sad.gif
Since you seem to like spirits as well, I would just try and play your distaste for beer down and stick to gin+tonics and other 'classy' mixed drinks if you are with clients. Beer does seem to have a strange social signifigance that goes beyond just the alcohol.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The only place I can think of that only serves beer is a house party. Every club should offer liquor. Maybe bring a flask?

I used to not like beer but now I enjoy a number of beers such as Fat Tire and Pyramid Pale Ale.

The only thing I can recommend is to toughen up and slam it down.

Brian SD

Reaction score
gin & tonic is excellent and not girly at all. I also second the flask recommendation for parties. I always bring a flask full of Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit... but I also drink the beer, because I love beer way more than any hard alcohol
smile.gif

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Drink water or something else non-alcoholic. If asked, tell people that you either don't drink, or that you are allergic to the brewing yeast in beer. The important thing is to have a glass or bottle of something when you're with them so they won't feel they're drinking alone and you participate in any toasts.

If you are entertaining Americans, you can usually get away with just saying that you don't drink, or that you're not drinking that night as you need to get some work done the next morning, etc.

It's a good opportunity to tell some jokes or especially funny stories, and that way people will know that you're relaxed even if you're not drinking like the rest of the group.

If you do want to get your drink on, the previously mentioned flask is the best way to go.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's wrong with simply saying "I don't like beer, but thank you anyway"? You could go so far as to say it makes you feel ill without any details, I suppose. It's not like your at some fancy party where declining it will be considered bad taste, is it? I say "no thank you" to beer all the time. And I don't like wine either, for the most part.

bob

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
you are missing out on one of lifes great pleasures. next you will say you don't like women?

alchimiste

Reaction score
jmswentworth, I understand your problem. In order to avoid this I sometimes invite people to come to my place instead of going to a bar. This way I am sure that I'll find something drinkable.

PunctualAlex

Reaction score
I think a lot of people take it as arrogant when you say you don't like beer. At least in America, beer is considered an everyman's drink so turning it down is seen as snooty and aloof... that's not at all my opinion, it's just the reaction I've seen when someone turns down a bud light at a kegger. It usually doesn't go over very well.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scnupe7
Exactly. Have you guys tried light beers?
Now that I am "in the market" again, I have resolved to try only light women. Weight-wise that is.

And, many people here would say resurrecting a thread started by a long-banned member doesn't go over very well.

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
Now that I am "in the market" again, I have resolved to try only light women. Weight-wise that is.

And, many people here would say resurrecting a thread started by a long-banned member doesn't go over very well.

Not me. I find our banneds quite amusing.

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go to a Big Ten or SEC tailgate on a warm weekend. Feel peer pressure. The beer will taste good that way.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads