• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beer Growlers......

dl20

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I drive right past Stoudt's brewery about 3x a week and was considering purchasing a beer growler and stopping in for regular fillups. For those who havent heard of it, a growler is a glass container that holds 1/2 gallon of beer that you can have filled with draught beer at certain places.

Stoudt's always has some stuff on tap that isnt available in bottles so I was thinking itd be cool to try. some sites say that you need to finish a growler in one sitting or its a waste. With their better offerings flanking both sides of 10% abv that wouldnt be possible.

Curious if anyone uses one of these.

dl

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dl20
I drive right past Stoudt's brewery about 3x a week and was considering purchasing a beer growler and stopping in for regular fillups. For those who havent heard of it, a growler is a glass container that holds 1/2 gallon of beer that you can have filled with draught beer at certain places.

Stoudt's always has some stuff on tap that isnt available in bottles so I was thinking itd be cool to try. some sites say that you need to finish a growler in one sitting or its a waste. With their better offerings flanking both sides of 10% abv that wouldnt be possible.

Curious if anyone uses one of these.

dl

I used to when I was living out in DC. There was a place out in Gaithersburg called Growler's where you could get your growler filled.

oroy38

Reaction score
I used to get my growler's filled up at the Stone brewery. I'm not sure how long they're good for once you fill them up, but I usually only filled them up if we were gonna have a BBQ/party/kickback in which case by the end of the night I'd have drank the entire thing or shared it with some friends.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They will be best within 24hours of opening but you can generally get two or three days before their quality seriously begins to deteriorate. I've also had some beer from growlers (an excellent pale ale for East End) that was still good seven days after opening.

Moral of the story: don't wait. A good beer can disappear surprisingly quickly.

Adding: I wish Georgia allowed for sales of growlers. Would be much better than raising the cap on our alcohol limit.

modern_leifeng

Reaction score
It sort of depends, though once you open it, it will probably last less than a week and most likely, should be finished a day or two after opening.

On the subject, was just in Qingdao (Tsingtao), where they fill beer from the tap into special plastic bags, a strange take on a "growler."

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I always thought a beer growler was what happened the next day on the toilet after drinking too much beer.

GrillinFool

Reaction score
I was in Michigan in July and got a growler of stout from the Jamesport Brewery. I drank half of it on one day and the other half about three days later. It wasn't as good as the first day but it was pretty damn good....

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
never seen this in the states. in parts of germany, you can get a type of bottle with a stopper with a washer on it, that you fill up in small local breweries. I used to love that and I miss it horribly

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some smaller breweries here have them. I only get them for BBQs and parties because it goes flat but I can't finish it in one day by myself these days. So share
smile.gif

pejsek

Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
never seen this in the states. in parts of germany, you can get a type of bottle with a stopper with a washer on it, that you fill up in small local breweries. I used to love that and I miss it horribly

In the Czech Republic parents used to send the kids down to the pub with all manner of ceramic vessels. That was a good thing. Like the vycep (outdoor stands at places like bus stops with half liter mugs for guzzling) this is probably a thing of the past. Sometimes progress is a bummer.

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why not get a capper, some caps, and some old bottles? Make sure you clean 'em out well before filling, and stick 'em straight in the fridge when you get home.

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I noticed that Whole Foods in Nashville actually started offering growlers of one of the local brews (Yazoo). I guess they have beer on tap in their hot prepared-foods area.

dl20

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kaxixi
Why not get a capper, some caps, and some old bottles? Make sure you clean 'em out well before filling, and stick 'em straight in the fridge when you get home.

Don't think that would go over well in the pub.

dl

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics