• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beer Equivalent of a Sommelier?

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Bartender? Beer just ain't that interesting.
I'm drinking some Rodenbach Grand Cru right now. Some suggestions are to try Rochefort 10, St. Bernardus Prior 8, Orval, Rodenbach, Cantillon Kriek, Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA, Founders Breakfast Stout and Hair of the Dog Adam. If you have a quality bottle shop near you, you should be able to find singles of most of these beers... Should set you back $40-50, depending on the inflation of the store but should erase any thoughts that beer is "uninteresting." You might not like it, and that's perfectly acceptable. But saying it is unworthy of artistic appreciation is not. I'm a budding beer expert, I've tried slightly over 200 different beers, being held back mostly by the limited distribution of beers in Ontario. The difference between Coors and a Trappist brew is just as large as the difference between box wine and a quality vintage from a respected winery. There are dozens of unique styles ranging from light lagers like budweiser which taste like nothing, to thick malty doppelbocks, chocolately and coffee-like imperial stouts, to sour lambics, to bitter and hoppy india pale ales. I'm on my way to becoming a beer connoisseur, not quite there yet. I've tried 213 different beers at last count, but will probably come close to doubling that over the next year as I have some brewery tours planned in the US this summer. I think the way to become knowledgeable about beer is to just drink drink drink, and take notes on everything you drink. I try to avoid tasting more than 2-3 different beers in a row unless you're only drinking small amounts. Also, taste every beer at different temperatures, I usually serve cool, and let it warm up over the course of an hour or so. Letting the last little bit sit for 10 minutes or so to be quite warm can be a rewarding experience at times. Some beers seem less flavourful cold, or overpowering in one direction, suddenly open up and even out in the warmth. I notice this particularly with double IPAs. This is what I'm doing, helps you to remember what you've tried. Ratebeer.com and beeradvocate.com are good sites to follow your progress.

Stokely

Reaction score
I've wondered, often in regards to wine and scotch, but now with beer......does knowledge and financial means lead to authoritative appreciation? If yes, why? If no, good.

**** man, I can afford a glass of whatever, but do I need to buy it because it is special? Does it make me feel good to know I'm drinking monk piss from 1674? Not especially.

I, in all honesty, love beer. I love beer that is hopefully grown, brewed and bottled within the US while I'm there. If I ain't there..............I am where I am, as well I would love for it to be organic. Just cause.

Personally I choose not to drink **** that takes airplanes and freighters to get to me. But what do I know?

At the end of the day, it's really about who you are with and why you are there.

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stokely
I've wondered, often in regards to wine and scotch, but now with beer......does knowledge and financial means lead to authoritative appreciation? If yes, why? If no, good.

**** man, I can afford a glass of whatever, but do I need to buy it because it is special? Does it make me feel good to know I'm drinking monk piss from 1674? Not especially.

I, in all honesty, love beer. I love beer that is hopefully grown, brewed and bottled within the US while I'm there. If I ain't there..............I am where I am, as well I would love for it to be organic. Just cause.

Personally I choose not to drink **** that takes airplanes and freighters to get to me. But what do I know?

At the end of the day, it's really about who you are with and why you are there.

The road to appreciating beer is where you attain your knowledge. And all but the most expensive beers are within reach of your average drinker. There are literally hundreds of beers that are 100% American that are extremely interesting, and most craft brewers shy away from using preservatives or artificial flavourings giving you the beautiful natural brew you are describing.

And many breweries also craft beers similar to their Belgian counterparts in the US. Take Ommegang for example, or Allagash. Both make Belgian style beers in America. For American style beers there are many other great breweries, Stone, Victory, and Dogfish head immedately come to my mind, although there are dozens more.

Give something like Victory Prima Pils, Stone IPA, or Dogfish Head Indian Brown Ale a try, all American brewers making classic beer styles without any additives or preservatives. While all "different" in their own way, none of them are experimental. You don't have to be a connoisseur to enjoy them. I know some beer-drinkers who started trying different beers, found 3-4 that they liked, and now drink those few great beers almost exclusively. And then I know people like myself, who are always trying new beers, it's an adventure for us! Either way is fine, but do yourself a favour and try some good brews, you can enjoy them for the art of brewing, or just for their consistently great flavour and refreshing nature.

The difference between paying $24 for a 24 and $18 for a 24 is often all it takes to change your drinking experience from "swilling macro garbage to get alcohol" to "being able to enjoy your beer just as much as the alcohol that's in it."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads