1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Beef short ribs: recipe?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by hopkins_student, Apr 14, 2009.

1. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Senior member

Anyone have a favorite way to prepare these? Thanks.

2. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

Browned and braised in veal stock and red wine until tender.

3. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Brown ribs on all sides; remove and set aside.

Brown mirepoix.

Add tomato paste and cook.

Singer with flour; cook the flour.

Deglaze pot with red wine and a little port; boil that down by about half.

Re-add ribs and add veal stock halfway up the ribs.

Add boquet garni.

Bring liquid to near-boil.

Cover pot and cook in 300 oven for 3-4 hours; turning the ribs every so often (30 minutes is a lot, every hour at least).

Remove ribs, strain liquid, reduce to nappe consistency. Thicken with a starch slurry if necessary.

4. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

Browned and braised in veal stock and red wine until tender.

+1. Keep it simple.
    Brown them, pull them out. Then brown some mirepoix in the pan and pincer a tiny bit of tomato paste, then deglaze with red wine. Add ribs back in, fill 2/3 of the way up the meat with stock and let it simmer until they're done.

5. Spatlese

Spatlese Senior member

^^ What they said.

Here's my weekend attempt, following the same basic principles (apologies to kwilk and manton for the plating, I was half-cut by the time I got to this course):

[​IMG]

6. korce

korce Senior member

The simple recipes above sound excellent.

If you're looking for a twist, I've tried an excellent Indian Short Rib recipe in Vikram Vij's cookbook. It is definitely worth a shot if you can find it (or own the book).

7. andyw

andyw Senior member

The Cook's Illustrated recipe for Short Ribs with Red Wine is killer. However you go, any recipe deserves a bottle of robust red.

8. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

9. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

OH.. and Kalbi [​IMG] mmm.... Kalbi

10. hi-val

hi-val Senior member

Sear on all sides. Rub with Five-Spice powder.

Put in roaster with a can of beer for liquid, cook for 4hrs at 300 degrees. Check every now and then to make sure it isn't drying out.

Thyme and fivespice are my two default beef seasonings with roasting...

11. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

When you say "roaster", do you mean a dutch oven? Or actual on a rack open top roasting pan?

12. Maharlika

Maharlika Senior member

I like beef short rib soup. It reminds me of a simplier version of Spanish Cocido.

Beef Short Rib Soup Recipe

Beef Short Rib Soup 2 lbs. beef chuck short ribs, cut into 2-inch pieces 8 c. water 1 c. chopped onion 1/4 c. dry sherry (optional) 4 tsp. salt 1/2 tsp. pepper 1/4 tsp. 2 med. potatoes, diced 3 med. carrots, diagonally sliced into bite-size pieces 1 lg. can tomatoes About 1 (4 oz.) bottle horseradish About 3 hours before serving: In 6-quart Dutch oven or saucepot over high heat, heat short ribs and water to boiling. With spoon, skim off foam. Add onion, sherry, salt, pepper, heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 1 1/ 2hours. Add potatoes, carrots and cabbage; over high heat, heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 30 minutes or until meat and vegetables are tender. Serve soup and let persons dip meat in horseradish. I serve it with bread and wine.

13. Alter

Alter Senior member

One of my favorite preparations from one of my favorite restaurants in Chicago:

http://www.tasteofthenfl.com/news/re...9-chicago.html

That sauce sounds amazing!:

For the Sauce:
    4 cups good quality red wine vinegar,
    pref. Zinfandel vinegar
    1 ½ cups packed dark brown sugar
    3/4 cup dark raisins

14. hi-val

hi-val Senior member

When you say "roaster", do you mean a dutch oven? Or actual on a rack open top roasting pan?

Dutch oven, casserole with a lid, cast iron pan with foil over it; you want something that will hold in the moisture.

15. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

That makes more sense... so it is still a braise and not an actual roast. I believe roast short ribs would pull your teeth out.

16. Myko

Myko Member

Boil in a pot of carrots, celery and onions for 45min. Remove, lather them up in your favourite BBQ sauce and bake in the oven for 15min at 300degrees... delicious!

17. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

I only discovered the beauty of well prepared short ribs about a month ago. Last night I braised some bone in short ribs with mirepoix ,san marzano tomatoes, chicken stock, a bundle of herbs, and red wine. Served them over butternut squash orzo.

Yesterday, I accidentally bought boneless short ribs and am not sure what to do with them. Are they to be treated much different than the bone-in version? Can anyone provide me with a somewhat simple recipe? Please keep in mind I am not exactly kwilkinson in the kitchen.

18. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Boneless are fine. They may not develop the same flavor but they have other advantages. Cook them the same way you would bone-in.

19. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

make ghoulash with them. wrap 1-2lbs shortrib into a foil pouhc and coat with the following paste: 2 tbspn oregano 3 tbspn paprika 2 tbspn smoked paprika 4 tbspn tomato paste 1 tbspn l&p cook at 250 for 4 hrs reserve liquid. in a dutch oven, brown 2 large vidalias in 2 tbspn olive oil. once soft, add the liquid, the meat (torn to bite sized pieces) and 4 tbspn vinegar. cook on low for 45mins. serve over egg noodles or elbow mac.
    I only discovered the beauty of well prepared short ribs about a month ago. Last night I braised some bone in short ribs with mirepoix ,san marzano tomatoes, chicken stock, a bundle of herbs, and red wine. Served them over butternut squash orzo. Yesterday, I accidentally bought boneless short ribs and am not sure what to do with them. Are they to be treated much different than the bone-in version? Can anyone provide me with a somewhat simple recipe? Please keep in mind I am not exactly kwilkinson in the kitchen.

20. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

Boneless are fine. They may not develop the same flavor but they have other advantages. Cook them the same way you would bone-in.

make ghoulash with them.

wrap 1-2lbs shortrib into a foil pouhc and coat with the following paste:

2 tbspn oregano
    3 tbspn paprika
    2 tbspn smoked paprika
    4 tbspn tomato paste
    1 tbspn l&p

cook at 250 for 4 hrs

reserve liquid.

in a dutch oven, brown 2 large vidalias in 2 tbspn olive oil. once soft, add the liquid, the meat (torn to bite sized pieces) and 4 tbspn vinegar. cook on low for 45mins. serve over egg noodles or elbow mac.

Thank you for the replies. I ended up braising them with mirepoix, red wine, water, and chicken stock. The short ribs ended up being so tender that I could not take them out of the pot without them falling apart. They were delicious but would have been better if I did not add water to the braising liquid diluting the flavors. The only reason why I added the water was to completely cover the ribs when they braised. I suppose it would have been better to just turn them every 30 minutes.