1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Beds - What are you sleeping on?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by gamelan, Dec 23, 2007.

1. gamelan

gamelan Distinguished Member

looking to purchase a new bed. i think the frame that i currently have is still usable so i might go with just a mattress. i'd rather not spend more than $2000. i'm definitely going to try a Tempur-Pedic. beyond that, the marketing machines behind Hastens (NPR) and Duxiana (local news radio) have got me interested.

just curious what others might recommend for a good nights rest.

so what are you sleeping on?

-Jeff

(wow, ok, so Hastens might be out of the running since they start at 5Gs)

2. Joffrey

Joffrey Stylish Dinosaur

A pretty shitty bed that's thrown my back out of whack (and I'm only 23 years old!).

3. jkennett

jkennett Senior Member

east coast to west and back to east. currently res
    Tempurpedic have never felt that comfortable to me when I've tried them... I suppose that they could be good if you had a bad back and really needed the support. Also, I've always slept on my side, so I prefer something a bit softer like a decent pillowtop mattress or something... Anyways, good luck with the mattress hunt.

4. kronik

kronik Distinguished Member

Beautyrest Black Rosalyn, I believe.

5. lost in va

lost in va Senior Member

Stearns & Foster "insert model name in which I don't know here" Firm

I can't stand it as over the last year my back has went from loving this mattress to absolutely hating it.

When I move again this mattress isn't coming with me and I'm going to pick up something pillow top/memory foam....something or another. I need to not wake up and walk like a mummy for the first 2 or so hrs.

6. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Stylish Dinosaur

Consider Hästens...

7. Roy

Roy Distinguished Member

I'm getting myself a Vi-Spring Magnificence, imho the best bed there is.

I have a few bedstores and sell quite a lot of brands and imho Vi-Spring makes the very best. It's like getting a bespoke bed made.

8. gamelan

gamelan Distinguished Member

I'm getting myself a Vi-Spring Magnificence, imho the best bed there is.

I have a few bedstores and sell quite a lot of brands and imho Vi-Spring makes the very best. It's like getting a bespoke bed made.

yeah, from the initial research i've done, it sounds like Vi-Spring, Hypnos (both UK), Hastens, and Duxiana (both Swedish) would be considered your Kiton, Oxxford, Attolinis of the bed world.

unfortunately, i have a feeling that all four makers may be beyond my reach financially.

-Jeff

9. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Stylish Dinosaur

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    Waterbed (softside)

10. summej2

summej2 Senior Member

LifeKind Natural Latex on an Interlubke frame---love 'em both.

11. GoSurface

GoSurface Distinguished Member

Unfortunately, my own.

12. texas_jack

texas_jack Stylish Dinosaur

futon

13. Roy

Roy Distinguished Member

yeah, from the initial research i've done, it sounds like Vi-Spring, Hypnos (both UK), Hastens, and Duxiana (both Swedish) would be considered your Kiton, Oxxford, Attolinis of the bed world.

unfortunately, i have a feeling that all four makers may be beyond my reach financially.

-Jeff

The magnificence has a retail price of approx. 30.000 dollars. Luckily, since I am a dealer of Vi-Spring i've managed to get one at a far more affordable price level.

But the Hästens Vividus is even more expensive, it's roughly around 60.000 dollars [​IMG]

Bot makers do start around the 5000 dollar level btw.

14. Parker

Parker Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

McRoskey Airflex is a local company in San Francisco that makes hand-made traditional mattresses and box springs. I don't have one, but they get a lot of good recommendations. They might be the "Southwick" or "Samuelsohn" of mattresses. I think they're around $3500 for a set.

15. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Distinguished Member

Stearns & Foster Firm "Euro"/Pillow Top

I got it for a good price but it's too firm for my gf who likes to sleep on her stomach or side. As an obligate back sleeper, I prefer the extra support.