Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Bedding

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Brian SD, Jun 6, 2005.

1. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

If I was to get a different bed, what would be a stylish and affordable alternative boxspring base? Sorry to keep asking questions.../ [​IMG]

2. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

And I was looking on Overstock.com for bed sheets.. is $100 around the right price range? or is that overspending? 800 tc seems like a lot.. there were some egyptian cotton in 440 for like $60

3. Roy

Roy Senior member

Yup, i'd say get rid of it. It simply isn't very comfortable. A boxspring base is a lot more comfortable.BTW, i just looked up the name and it is a 'slatted base'.
    If I was to get a different bed, what would be a stylish and affordable alternative boxspring base? Sorry to keep asking questions.../ [​IMG]
    That I can't help you with. I know a lot about bedding and bed bases etc. But in the US there are some completely different brands and models out, whereas in Europe we hardly have any American beds.

4. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Sounds about right. Ask yourself though, would you rather have nice bedding, or another pair of APCs. Also, are you, or are you not, channeling Austin Powers? In which case, I've heard from dubious authority that strobe lights and leapard prints add to the mystique.

5. Kai

Kai Senior member

I highly recommend alpaca wool filled pillows and comforters. They are extremely comfortable across a very broad range of temperatures. The pillows have a perfect mix of lightness and support. Hypo-allegenic. I prefer them even to very high quality down. http://www.crescentmoonduvets.com/duvet_one.htm

6. Jill

Jill Senior member

Thanx for the link, Kai. Â I think I'll give 'em a try. BTW, what is that horrible avatar of yours? Â Quite scary, actually.

7. Cliff

Cliff Senior member

Jill, I agree with your assessment of thread count. Â This is one area where bigger is better (and I'm not getting into the other areas). Â And you're absolutely correct; you can purchase 1000 TC nowadays at real good prices. Â Once you go 'high count' you can never go back. Try this place for down pillows; I'm a BIG fan and I've been using their products for quite a while now. Â For traveling, they even make a small down "carry pillow" with its own cotton carry case; I have one and don't travel without it. Good luck. http://www.scandiadown.com/

8. Kai

Kai Senior member

9. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Senior member

Can anyone else recommend a website for sheet other than overstock and smartbargains? I dont need Frette but I dont want to spend $20 on my sheets...

10. scnupe7

scnupe7 Senior member

I recently bought a memory foam mattress. It is to die for.

11. Kristobel

Kristobel New Member

You'll have a hard time finding sheets at Wal-Mart for less than $20. If it was a slip and you meant $200, you can get some decently nice sheets at Bed, Bath & (The Great) Beyond. I haven't looked recently, but you can also check out www.bluefly.com to see what they have.

12. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

Thanks for all the info guys I'll put it go excellent use.

13. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

Doesn't apply for Brian SD, but if you're in New York, Century 21 is excellent for bedding.

14. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

Generally we use Frette, Pratesi, and Porthault.

15. Roy

Roy Senior member

Where do you get Frette in Holland? I have never seen it here, not even in the nicest bedding stores.