• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bedding

Brian SD

Reaction score
Yup, i'd say get rid of it. It simply isn't very comfortable. A boxspring base is a lot more comfortable.BTW, i just looked up the name and it is a 'slatted base'.
If I was to get a different bed, what would be a stylish and affordable alternative boxspring base? Sorry to keep asking questions.../
tounge.gif

Brian SD

Reaction score
And I was looking on Overstock.com for bed sheets.. is $100 around the right price range? or is that overspending? 800 tc seems like a lot.. there were some egyptian cotton in 440 for like $60

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yup, i'd say get rid of it. It simply isn't very comfortable. A boxspring base is a lot more comfortable.BTW, i just looked up the name and it is a 'slatted base'.
If I was to get a different bed, what would be a stylish and affordable alternative boxspring base? Sorry to keep asking questions.../
tounge.gif

That I can't help you with. I know a lot about bedding and bed bases etc. But in the US there are some completely different brands and models out, whereas in Europe we hardly have any American beds.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And I was looking on Overstock.com for bed sheets.. is $100 around the right price range? or is that overspending? 800 tc seems like a lot.. there were some egyptian cotton in 440 for like $60
Sounds about right. Ask yourself though, would you rather have nice bedding, or another pair of APCs. Also, are you, or are you not, channeling Austin Powers? In which case, I've heard from dubious authority that strobe lights and leapard prints add to the mystique.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I highly recommend alpaca wool filled pillows and comforters. They are extremely comfortable across a very broad range of temperatures. The pillows have a perfect mix of lightness and support. Hypo-allegenic. I prefer them even to very high quality down. http://www.crescentmoonduvets.com/duvet_one.htm

Jill

Reaction score
I highly recommend alpaca wool filled pillows and comforters. Â They are extremely comfortable across a very broad range of temperatures. Â The pillows have a perfect mix of lightness and support. Â Hypo-allegenic. Â I prefer them even to very high quality down. Â http://www.crescentmoonduvets.com/duvet_one.htm
Thanx for the link, Kai. Â I think I'll give 'em a try. BTW, what is that horrible avatar of yours? Â Quite scary, actually.

Cliff

Reaction score
Never less than 300 Thread Count. Â You can find 300-1000 TC for very reasonable prices on ebay, Overstock.com, SmartBargains.com or at Tuesday Morning. Â I literally have trouble sleeping on anything else. Â I know, I know. Â Sound very "princess-ish", but once you get accustomed to them, it's true. Â If I don't have access to a 100% goose down pillow, then I usually just do without. Â It's not that others are terrible, I just prefer a pillow that is VERY soft and flattens out. Â Most are too big / hard. I spend 100-150 nite/yr in hotel beds, so I can highly recommend Westin's "Heavenly Bed", although many others are beginning to copy it. Â Sheraton and W have comparable setups. Â Hilton and Priorty Club chains are introducing similar beds in their higher-end properties as well.
Jill, I agree with your assessment of thread count. Â This is one area where bigger is better (and I'm not getting into the other areas). Â And you're absolutely correct; you can purchase 1000 TC nowadays at real good prices. Â Once you go 'high count' you can never go back. Try this place for down pillows; I'm a BIG fan and I've been using their products for quite a while now. Â For traveling, they even make a small down "carry pillow" with its own cotton carry case; I have one and don't travel without it. Good luck. http://www.scandiadown.com/

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone else recommend a website for sheet other than overstock and smartbargains? I dont need Frette but I dont want to spend $20 on my sheets...

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a memory foam mattress. It is to die for.

Kristobel

Reaction score
I dont need Frette but I dont want to spend $20 on my sheets...
You'll have a hard time finding sheets at Wal-Mart for less than $20. If it was a slip and you meant $200, you can get some decently nice sheets at Bed, Bath & (The Great) Beyond. I haven't looked recently, but you can also check out www.bluefly.com to see what they have.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info guys I'll put it go excellent use.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Generally we use Frette, Pratesi, and Porthault.

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Generally we use Frette, Pratesi, and Porthault.
Where do you get Frette in Holland? I have never seen it here, not even in the nicest bedding stores.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads