• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bedding part 3 (on a budget)

Brian SD

Reaction score
I know I made a post before about bed linens, but I have a new bed now (upgraded from twin --> full), and I need some new sheets for it...

I was looking at the Ralph Lauren 350tc sheets. They're about $50 / sheet and $47 for the pillowcases, but I'm not sure if I want to spend that money on them as they might completely suck.

Anyone find an answer in the same boat as I am? I'm going to get a plaid camel-colored duvet, and I want the sheets to be a pale blue, which is a pretty common color.. I looked at some belgian linen sheets and while they look beautiful (I love the rough texture), I can't afford anywhere near the $120 / sheet premium.

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
I know I made a post before about bed linens, but I have a new bed now (upgraded from twin --> full), and I need some new sheets for it...

I was looking at the Ralph Lauren 350tc sheets. They're about $50 / sheet and $47 for the pillowcases, but I'm not sure if I want to spend that money on them as they might completely suck.

Anyone find an answer in the same boat as I am? I'm going to get a plaid camel-colored duvet, and I want the sheets to be a pale blue, which is a pretty common color.. I looked at some belgian linen sheets and while they look beautiful (I love the rough texture), I can't afford anywhere near the $120 / sheet premium.

I have RL sheets right now. They're ok, but not that great. Just save up. It's worth it. When I leave university I'm buying myself a few sets of very good sheets from Pratesi or Frette. I'm sure you dont NEED good sheets right away unless you're planning on ******* some type of celeb at your place. You spend so much time sleeping that you might as well get really good sheets...

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
i remember seeing some in the clearance section of the Lands End site once when poking around in there. Never bought them and cant vouch for them, but conventional board wisdom indicates Lands End = pretty decent quality control on their stock, so they may be worth checking out.... edit: here you go

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
I like Carl's $20 or $30 (can't remember) pillowcases quite a bit. Get them to match your favorite shirt
biggrin.gif

Tom

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to have some RL sheets and I concur with the "decent" assessment of them. I have a couple sets of Pratesi sheets now which are noticeably better but don't really contribute to a better night's sleep or anything like that. For those of you with Pratesi or Frette sheets, do you find them to be more or less durable than cheaper sheets? For example, my RL sheets lasted about 2 years before the fitted sheet wore out.

dan

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
I used to have some RL sheets and I concur with the "decent" assessment of them. I have a couple sets of Pratesi sheets now which are noticeably better but don't really contribute to a better night's sleep or anything like that. For those of you with Pratesi or Frette sheets, do you find them to be more or less durable than cheaper sheets? For example, my RL sheets lasted about 2 years before the fitted sheet wore out.

dan

Whenever I go home to my parent's place, the sheets are Frette 1020 tc or something. I know that in order for them to last, my mother buys 4 sets for every bed and changes them like twice a week or whatever. As long as you wash them, iron them, and rotate them, they'll last a long long time.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I take it from these posts you're trying to graduate from stuff like Ikea, but I just picked up some new "vila" sheets from them, and they seem like a good price/value ratio purchase--worlds better than the pill-y Ikean cotton I had on my collegiate mattresses. I think fitted and flat sheet plus two standard pillowcases was like $50. They don't appear to have light blue, but both the brown and the green could go with camel, depending on other colors in the plaid.

I wouldn't recommend their lower grades, though, and mine (in red) have only been through two washes, FWIW.

EDIT: They're around 200 thread count, and I'm sure the fabric origin/manufacturing are nothing special.

EDIT 2:
my mother buys 4 sets for every bed and changes them like twice a week or whatever
Sounds very practical
confused.gif

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
I take it from these posts you're trying to graduate from stuff like Ikea, but I just picked up some new "vila" sheets from them, and they seem like a good price/value ratio purchase--worlds better than the pill-y Ikean cotton I had on my collegiate mattresses. I think fitted and flat sheet plus two standard pillowcases was like $50. They don't appear to have light blue, but both the brown and the green could go with camel, depending on other colors in the plaid.

I wouldn't recommend their lower grades, though, and mine (in red) have only been through two washes, FWIW.

EDIT: They're around 200 thread count, and I'm sure the fabric origin/manufacturing are nothing special.

EDIT 2:
Sounds very practical
confused.gif

well, she's used the same sheets for a very long time, and they all feel like new...

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm, doesn't sound like the higher-end sheets are any more durable. Had I rotated 4 sets of RL sheets, they would have lasted me at least 8 years based on my experience with one set. And they felt the same all the way up until the end when the fitted sheets wore through.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782

EDIT 2:
Sounds very practical
confused.gif

I agree the Vila sheets are pretty nice. Still trying to step it up a notch from them though (I had them on my twin-sized bed).

I found some sheets at Marshall's, 400tc. We'll see how they end up. The brand is called something like "Winston collection," and it was $40 for the set (retail was $75).

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey, 400 thread count and cheaper than Ikea--certainly worth a try. But the vila sheets come in a deep red that's perfect for any bachelor pad
smile.gif

coachvu

Reaction score
I recently bought a set of 600TC sheets from TJ Maxx, marked down to $47. These are much softer than my friends 600TC sheets, which cost much more from Bed, Bath, & Beyond. I don't know as of yet if they are more durable. However, at that cost, I can buy 3-4 sets before equaling the price he paid.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads