• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

    We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

    The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

    Fok and the Styleforum Team.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Bedding part 3 (on a budget)

Brian SD

Moderator
Joined
Feb 5, 2004
Messages
9,760
Reaction score
122
I know I made a post before about bed linens, but I have a new bed now (upgraded from twin --> full), and I need some new sheets for it...

I was looking at the Ralph Lauren 350tc sheets. They're about $50 / sheet and $47 for the pillowcases, but I'm not sure if I want to spend that money on them as they might completely suck.

Anyone find an answer in the same boat as I am? I'm going to get a plaid camel-colored duvet, and I want the sheets to be a pale blue, which is a pretty common color.. I looked at some belgian linen sheets and while they look beautiful (I love the rough texture), I can't afford anywhere near the $120 / sheet premium.
 

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 12, 2006
Messages
1,907
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Brian SD
I know I made a post before about bed linens, but I have a new bed now (upgraded from twin --> full), and I need some new sheets for it...

I was looking at the Ralph Lauren 350tc sheets. They're about $50 / sheet and $47 for the pillowcases, but I'm not sure if I want to spend that money on them as they might completely suck.

Anyone find an answer in the same boat as I am? I'm going to get a plaid camel-colored duvet, and I want the sheets to be a pale blue, which is a pretty common color.. I looked at some belgian linen sheets and while they look beautiful (I love the rough texture), I can't afford anywhere near the $120 / sheet premium.


I have RL sheets right now. They're ok, but not that great. Just save up. It's worth it. When I leave university I'm buying myself a few sets of very good sheets from Pratesi or Frette. I'm sure you dont NEED good sheets right away unless you're planning on fucking some type of celeb at your place. You spend so much time sleeping that you might as well get really good sheets...
 
Joined
Jan 14, 2005
Messages
11,179
Reaction score
114
i remember seeing some in the clearance section of the Lands End site once when poking around in there. Never bought them and cant vouch for them, but conventional board wisdom indicates Lands End = pretty decent quality control on their stock, so they may be worth checking out.... edit: here you go
 

tiger02

Militarist
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
3,799
Reaction score
2
I like Carl's $20 or $30 (can't remember) pillowcases quite a bit. Get them to match your favorite shirt


Tom
 

dah328

Distinguished Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2003
Messages
4,603
Reaction score
110
I used to have some RL sheets and I concur with the "decent" assessment of them. I have a couple sets of Pratesi sheets now which are noticeably better but don't really contribute to a better night's sleep or anything like that. For those of you with Pratesi or Frette sheets, do you find them to be more or less durable than cheaper sheets? For example, my RL sheets lasted about 2 years before the fitted sheet wore out.

dan
 

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 12, 2006
Messages
1,907
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by dah328
I used to have some RL sheets and I concur with the "decent" assessment of them. I have a couple sets of Pratesi sheets now which are noticeably better but don't really contribute to a better night's sleep or anything like that. For those of you with Pratesi or Frette sheets, do you find them to be more or less durable than cheaper sheets? For example, my RL sheets lasted about 2 years before the fitted sheet wore out.

dan


Whenever I go home to my parent's place, the sheets are Frette 1020 tc or something. I know that in order for them to last, my mother buys 4 sets for every bed and changes them like twice a week or whatever. As long as you wash them, iron them, and rotate them, they'll last a long long time.
 

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2004
Messages
8,764
Reaction score
6,877
I take it from these posts you're trying to graduate from stuff like Ikea, but I just picked up some new "vila" sheets from them, and they seem like a good price/value ratio purchase--worlds better than the pill-y Ikean cotton I had on my collegiate mattresses. I think fitted and flat sheet plus two standard pillowcases was like $50. They don't appear to have light blue, but both the brown and the green could go with camel, depending on other colors in the plaid.

I wouldn't recommend their lower grades, though, and mine (in red) have only been through two washes, FWIW.

EDIT: They're around 200 thread count, and I'm sure the fabric origin/manufacturing are nothing special.

EDIT 2:
my mother buys 4 sets for every bed and changes them like twice a week or whatever
Sounds very practical
 

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 12, 2006
Messages
1,907
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
I take it from these posts you're trying to graduate from stuff like Ikea, but I just picked up some new "vila" sheets from them, and they seem like a good price/value ratio purchase--worlds better than the pill-y Ikean cotton I had on my collegiate mattresses. I think fitted and flat sheet plus two standard pillowcases was like $50. They don't appear to have light blue, but both the brown and the green could go with camel, depending on other colors in the plaid.

I wouldn't recommend their lower grades, though, and mine (in red) have only been through two washes, FWIW.

EDIT: They're around 200 thread count, and I'm sure the fabric origin/manufacturing are nothing special.

EDIT 2:
Sounds very practical


well, she's used the same sheets for a very long time, and they all feel like new...
 

dah328

Distinguished Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2003
Messages
4,603
Reaction score
110
Hmm, doesn't sound like the higher-end sheets are any more durable. Had I rotated 4 sets of RL sheets, they would have lasted me at least 8 years based on my experience with one set. And they felt the same all the way up until the end when the fitted sheets wore through.
 

Brian SD

Moderator
Joined
Feb 5, 2004
Messages
9,760
Reaction score
122
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
I take it from these posts you're trying to graduate from stuff like Ikea, but I just picked up some new "vila" sheets from them, and they seem like a good price/value ratio purchase--worlds better than the pill-y Ikean cotton I had on my collegiate mattresses. I think fitted and flat sheet plus two standard pillowcases was like $50. They don't appear to have light blue, but both the brown and the green could go with camel, depending on other colors in the plaid.

I wouldn't recommend their lower grades, though, and mine (in red) have only been through two washes, FWIW.

EDIT: They're around 200 thread count, and I'm sure the fabric origin/manufacturing are nothing special.

EDIT 2:
Sounds very practical


I agree the Vila sheets are pretty nice. Still trying to step it up a notch from them though (I had them on my twin-sized bed).

I found some sheets at Marshall's, 400tc. We'll see how they end up. The brand is called something like "Winston collection," and it was $40 for the set (retail was $75).
 

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2004
Messages
8,764
Reaction score
6,877
Hey, 400 thread count and cheaper than Ikea--certainly worth a try. But the vila sheets come in a deep red that's perfect for any bachelor pad
 

coachvu

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
628
Reaction score
0
I recently bought a set of 600TC sheets from TJ Maxx, marked down to $47. These are much softer than my friends 600TC sheets, which cost much more from Bed, Bath, & Beyond. I don't know as of yet if they are more durable. However, at that cost, I can buy 3-4 sets before equaling the price he paid.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 31 3.7%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 143 17.2%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 276 33.1%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 130 15.6%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 71 8.5%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 49 5.9%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 25 3.0%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 22 2.6%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 17 2.0%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 7 0.8%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 9 1.1%
  • 100+

    Votes: 53 6.4%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
429,208
Messages
9,230,168
Members
193,756
Latest member
glupainnui
Top