• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Becoming a tea drinker.

ledouche

Reaction score
Had a variety of tea made by the Tuareg people years back. It's thick, gunpowder green tea steeped two or three times, each time being ceremonially poured from a height back into a steeping pot with more tea and possibly a variety of other spices. I didn't totally catch everything, but would drink again.

MJ45

Reaction score
A lot of variet and one of my favorite "Fruit tea"

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
FN Jubilee Blend was nice. Now I'm starting Harrods Assam Thowra (that's what's on the label). 10GBP per 250g. Not leaves but small rolled up balls.

futailee

Reaction score
Anyone Taiwanese high mountain teas (oolong tea) lover here?

Taiwan is famous for its oolong teas, particularly those which produced in high altitude (at least 1000m) due to its perfect weather and afternoon mist. The production is managed by independent smallholders, unlike the big estates, the artisans are allowed to focus more on high quality production in small quantity.

Oolong tea is an excellent choice for both beginners and experts, it is a fragrant and smooth tea that even beginners can easily enjoy, also because it’s a very wide category (the oxidation level between green and black tea can be categorised as oolong), the flavour is more complex and versatile than all other teas. Many tea connoisseur just can’t get enough of this rich and floral, fruity tastes that lingers at length on the palate. Well, it’s absolutely dangerous to go directly to the high mountain tea if you are new to tea drink, as the quality may make you hard to switch to other teas thereafter. But it’s always a good way to try something that is worth your time and money.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Visited postcard Teas in London. Nice little shop with small range of curated Teas. Amongst others, I bought a roasted Japanese (supernatural black) that tasted good as a breakfast tea.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So I've had an extended taste test with the Supernatural black and I still like it. But the English breakfast v3 from Postcard teas is much nicer, it can give you a nice strong brew that is still smooth. But the Sonitpur Assam from the same shop is the best of all. Full flavour with maltiness but yet smooth. They only had small 50g sizes available, I've had one pack of each so far and will definitely get more.

Now, back to Harrods English Breakfast 8GBP for 200g.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Okay, this Harrods English Breakfast seems to be a bit of a dud. I can't get it to brew up a strong cup despite adding more tea and increasing the water temperature. Hmmm.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Finished some Postcard teas London Roast which was nice if you upped your usual amount by about 10-20%. Now starting some old stock - Harrods Hatimara Assam (40GBP per Kg) which is a CTC granular looking tea. Strong malty taste.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Can someone rec a really good Oolong? Specifically high grade Ti Gwan Yin? So far the most promising source I've found is Yunnan Sourcing but the US warehouse is limited, and the Chinese one will take 4 years to ship to me it seems.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I actually don't drink a lot of Chinese tea except Pu erh and sometimes Dai Hung Pao.

Last year, I bought a huge amount of single estate of Assam from a place in Mangalam. Been trying their organic orthodox and CTC and they're both very good. Strong clean taste.

I also just finished another big bag of English breakfast from Postcard teas. Great blend, but you need a big spoonful for a decently strong cup. Now trying their Family Breakfast Sahyadri blend.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm loving roasted barley now. I steep 7 heaping tablespoons in my Bodum, let it cool, then top it off in a pitcher with water and Splenda and drink it chilled.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Builder’s tea.

Made with freshly boiled water in a heated pot or mug.

Allow to brew until it is a good colour or the spoon stands up on its own in the mug.

‘Red Label’ is usually sound across various brands. I think Lyons originally marketed it. ‘Gold Label’ if you want to spend a bit more.

As brands can vary over time, you might have to try different ones to check you are still getting a good one.

Assam is usually the strongest ingredient. Can be harvested from various countries though.

Last edited:

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
"Fruit tea"
We enjoyed a fruit tea one night while in the Napa Valley. We thought it sufficiently good that we bought a tin (Auberge Blend Herbal from Auberge du Soleil). Maybe we'd had too much to drink.

catpepper

Reaction score
for health, maybe black tea might be most healthy? I'm not sure if it is, but they are usually much less sweet than other kinds of tea especially green tea.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads