• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Becoming a tea drinker.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by madison avenue
What is the correct way to drink tea bag in or out?

if you're using bags you need to remove it after it's done steeping or you will ruin your cup of tea. The general recommendation of this thread is to drink loose leaf tea, however.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been looking for a green tea that I like. Today I had a cup of Imperial Gunpowder Leaf Tea from Taylors of Harrogate, and I love it, it has a subtle yet well defined taste and isn't as "woody" as other green teas I've had.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Try out Dragonwell.

Kempt

Reaction score
Hi all, been lurking on the threads for a while and picked up a lot of interesting information on the various forums. I happen to really enjoy tea, however one thing I learned from a friend attending dental school (and perhaps there is a dentist on this forum to confirm) is that tea is actually one of the strongest things that can stain your teeth, more so than coffee or smoking. I do enjoy a good cup of tea, but don't drink it daily. I imagine this is more an issue with black tea than some of the lighter ones (green teas etc), anyways I didn't see it posted in this thread yet and thought I would contribute. Carry on with brand recommendations, I'll be on the lookout for some of them at the local tea shop.

etl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jpeirpont
Imperial Gunpowder Leaf Tea from Taylors of Harrogate

This stuff puts the glide back in your stride. Good stuff. Don't know about CT but it's available in NYC at Wholefoods.

Interesting news about the dental issue. Would love to hear more if anyone knows.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's an exeprt from Orwell on drinking tea and here is the linkt to the full articule. http://www.booksatoz.com/witsend/tea/orwell.htm
A Nice Cup of Tea
By George Orwell
Evening Standard, 12 January 1946.
If you look up 'tea' in the first cookery book that comes to hand you will probably find that it is unmentioned; or at most you will find a few lines of sketchy instructions which give no ruling on several of the most important points.
This is curious, not only because tea is one of the main stays of civilization in this country, as well as in Eire, Australia and New Zealand, but because the best manner of making it is the subject of violent disputes.

When I look through my own recipe for the perfect cup of tea, I find no fewer than eleven outstanding points. On perhaps two of them there would be pretty general agreement, but at least four others are acutely controversial. Here are my own eleven rules, every one of which I regard as golden:

http://www.booksatoz.com/witsend/tea/orwell.htm

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by etl
This stuff puts the glide back in your stride. Good stuff. Don't know about CT but it's available in NYC at Wholefoods.

Interesting news about the dental issue. Would love to hear more if anyone knows.

Well, it's apparently got some cardiovascular and cancer benefits. Those kinda offset the teeth discoloration imo. Besides, it's easy to get a whitening, less easy to fix your heart or get rid of cancer. :p

etl

Reaction score
maybe i should take my brown teeth over to the Kent Wang color thread.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
If you don't want the bother of messing with loose tea leaves, I wouldn't bother getting into tea at all. Yes, it REALLY makes that much of a difference.

I'd recommend uptontea.com and try a few samplers, or select individual samples of teas that might interest you. Pay careful attention to brewing instructions regarding steep times and water temperatures. Upton isn't the best, but they are very good and will definitely get you started the right way.

I like to buy my black teas and Rooibos from upton, and my green and white teas from funalliance.com.

Thanks for the rec. The tea is good and I love the catalog.

etl

Reaction score
i just received my 2nd order from Upton. I love everything about the experience and the product.

william

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't read this whole thread, so forgive me if that has already been mentioned...

I HIGHLY recommend Mountain Rose Herbs for tea. I just got a shipment of White Tea and Green Rooibos from them and the quality is incredible. Check em out.

converge

Reaction score
I can also vouch for Upton. Great teas and fast service. I also order from Adagio a lot because I usually get the shipment the next day and I like their sampler packs. Their Citron Green tea is seriously one of the best greens I've had.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How is Adagio really? Are they good enough to justify the substantially higher prices over Upton?

mikeman

Reaction score
I have been drinking tea for about 2 years now and it really like it,because it gives me energy with out the jitters like coffee.I usually buy from teavana since there is one located in a mall close to where I live.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads