• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Becks in Serie A

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So Beckham debuted for A.C. Milan in a friendly against Hamburg SV in Dubai (?) a couple of days ago. By all accounts he comported himself well, and may be called for the game against Roma when Serie A resumes this Sunday. I haven't really followed his time here at LA. Thoughts? I'm sure he's happy to playing in a more competitive league for a bit, and Milan isn't much of a step down from Tinseltown for Posh (celebrty for fashion trade-off). Will this move help persuade Capello to keep him in England's plans for SA '10?

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
my thoughts are that this is why soccer sucks. most other sports don't hire washed-up veterans just to make the papers. except my mets.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
my thoughts are that this is why soccer sucks. most other sports don't hire washed-up veterans just to make the papers. except my mets.

To be fair, the Mets haven't done that for years, with the exception of Pedro.

wiscogooner

Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
Will this move help persuade Capello to keep him in England's plans for SA '10?

Capello's said that Beckham knew if he didn't join up with Milan that he'd have no chance of getting England caps. I think Capello's had it out for him since he left Madrid for LA though and I think that maybe the wounds are starting to heal.

Actually playing for Milan as opposed to just training with Arsenal in the off-season is a better bet I think. Especially with the lack of experience/form of this season's Arsenal squad (and I can say that from a personal interest).

I hope he does well and gets playing time at Milan. I'd love to see him feature in an England World Cup win.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i've seen becks play a for l.a. couple of times, and he looked great--pin-point passing every time. he hasn't had more success here because his teammates are terrible, and they waste every opportunity he creates for them.

i've never been a big fan of his, but anyone who thinks he is washed up has not seen him play.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
alou, not that he made a big media splash. but have faith, omar isn't done with bad signings yet. btw, i don;t have high hopes for them this season.
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
To be fair, the Mets haven't done that for years, with the exception of Pedro.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Beat me to that one.
laugh.gif

Actually, I think European basketball has higher washed up NBA stars before ('Nique among them). Only so many would actually want to go oversees to play in a country where they don't speak the language, whereas I'm sure Beckham had no problem coming to L.A.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
difference being that in many cases, a 34-36 yo nba player will still be highly competetive over there.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
difference being that in many cases, a 34-36 yo nba player will still be highly competetive over there.
Wilkins was, but are we saying that Beckham wasn't competitive here (when he is healthy)?

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think its a good move. Serie A is much slower than the Premier league IMO, good for Beckham, who was actually pretty in form during the latter half of Madrid...

BTW, what happens to his contract with LA Galaxy..the 255m one?

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
eh, um...i dunno. MLS ain't exact;y the big leagues

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
Wilkins was, but are we saying that Beckham wasn't competitive here (when he is healthy)?

he is good here. his team is not.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dashaansafin
I think its a good move. Serie A is much slower than the Premier league IMO, good for Beckham, who was actually pretty in form during the latter half of Madrid...

This is a loan to Milan, until MLS starts up again. In theory. We'll see how it plays out.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

he's with milan on loan. his l.a. contract is unaffected.

wiscogooner

Reaction score

He's on loan to Milan during the MLS off season

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads