• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beckett & Robb

lightbulb1986

Reaction score
Longtime lurker first time poster. Thinking about taking advantage of groupon for their mtm 130s Loro Piana 2 piece at 800 (900 for full canvas). Anyone have experience with this company? I believe they are from Salt Lake City and have a new operation in San Francisco. Thanks

Loudly

Reaction score
As sort of a bump, does anyone have any opinions about this maker? They just moved into our building in SF. Generally seems like good stuff.

Looking at their website, it looks like they provide real bespoke, insofar as they make a pattern from scratch. But they also say there are no multiple fittings -- which is not what I would expect.

I didn't see the MTM on their site, but I didn't really look. I'd be interested to know if its a good suit - $900 for full canvas is not bad. To give some guidance, I usually get Ede & Ravenscroft MTM suits. Those are about GBP800 in London.

Thoughts?

Loudly

Reaction score
Another bump. Nothing? It would be good if there were somewhere so convenient to get proper clothing. If I throw caution to the wind and get something made I'll let everyone know.

Last edited:

PianistOne111

Reaction score
Hey, sorry for the late reply. I've got a suit, shirt, and tux from them. This is the only bespoke tailor I've had experience with, but I think they do a good job and try to do as you say. Fit is also very good (although I've had comments tha the trousers are a bit narrow), such that I've used my bespoke pieces' measurements as references for additional MTM garments. They also have good business practices, so they'll take care of you long after the transaction. They do employ certain cost-cutting measures though, which (in their view) have minimal effect on the quality of the suit. For example, they half-canvas for their cheaper suits, unless you request otherwise. See this for more details. They also do certain things by default, so you might be surprised if you don't address something and consequently leave it to them. For example, they do barchetta breast pockets, so while commissioning my tux, I asked them specifically to make it straight (along with lots of other details I didn't feel like leaving unaddressed). They also put belt loops on all trousers (including formal trousers) unless you request otherwise. This isn't their preference, but just that many of their customers can't live without belt loops.

Loudly

Reaction score
That's very helpful. Much appreciated.

redboat

Reaction score
Hey, sorry for the late reply. I've got a suit, shirt, and tux from them. This is the only bespoke tailor I've had experience with, but I think they do a good job and try to do as you say. Fit is also very good (although I've had comments tha the trousers are a bit narrow), such that I've used my bespoke pieces' measurements as references for additional MTM garments. They also have good business practices, so they'll take care of you long after the transaction. They do employ certain cost-cutting measures though, which (in their view) have minimal effect on the quality of the suit. For example, they half-canvas for their cheaper suits, unless you request otherwise. See this for more details. They also do certain things by default, so you might be surprised if you don't address something and consequently leave it to them. For example, they do barchetta breast pockets, so while commissioning my tux, I asked them specifically to make it straight (along with lots of other details I didn't feel like leaving unaddressed). They also put belt loops on all trousers (including formal trousers) unless you request otherwise. This isn't their preference, but just that many of their customers can't live without belt loops.
Thanks for posting. Anyone else have experience with Beckett & Robb? Their web site says they have a "hybrid" made-to-measure/bespoke process involving 25-60 measurements, with half and fully-canvassed suits made from English or Italian wool and sewn in Spain or Portugal, and have "aggressive" pricing. They have locations in San Francisco and Salt Lake City.
http://beckettrobb.com/

mcguireslc

Reaction score
I'm from SLC and recently purchased two suits and three shirts from B&R. I haven't other experiences with a MTM outfit against which to compare my experience, FYI. I am and have been tremendously impressed with the quality of the product and the level of service I have received since the sale. During the initial fitting, I was given so many options that my head started to hurt a little (multiply that by two since I was designing one of them to be a bit more informal). I worked with one of the owners (Jason) who was happy to advise me on which cuts, lengths, and shapes work best with by body type. Many of their suits do have a 'modern' cut, but they will make whatever you want (including pleated pants and double breasted jackets). They helped steer me away from choices that don't work for my frame (I'm 5'8", 200), so patch pockets on my 'casual' suit would work in theory, but in reality would draw attention to my midsection. All this is to say that I had a fantastic experience with B&R, and will continue to buy clothes from them in the future.

Ulsterman

Reaction score
I recently got measured up for a sportscoat in their SF store. Dustin who manages that location was great and helped me put together something that I think will be very versatile, as it wast first MTM peice of clothing I had instincts to go overboard on a lot of features, but he kept me on a good track and I think I'll be very happy with it.

Cost to me was 1100 for the navy birds eye fabric I selected, also got a free shirt as part of a promotion they were having, which never hurts.

Got about a month more to wait until its ready.

Last edited:

brillopad

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I got measured for a suit about a week ago in SF. I'll post the results when I get it. I'll also put a series up on my blog in the coming weeks describing the fitting/design process. I was measured by Dustin and he's a great guy - very helpful. He also has a much more classic sense of dress when compared to the owners, which put me at ease since I don't really want a super-skinny/cropped GQ suit like many of their product shots show.

thesteffis

Reaction score
I'm researching B&R because I'm in the market for an MTM suit as well. There was another thread on them that mentioned about their stock/non-stock cloth and the resulting price difference - I was "gifted" (given? forcibly delivered?) cloth from a relative that I'd like to quality-test and see if it can be made into a great suit. Any idea whether B&R allows for this? Or would I have to find some backroom tailor to make use of it?

Thanks!

brillopad

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I'm researching B&R because I'm in the market for an MTM suit as well. There was another thread on them that mentioned about their stock/non-stock cloth and the resulting price difference - I was "gifted" (given? forcibly delivered?) cloth from a relative that I'd like to quality-test and see if it can be made into a great suit. Any idea whether B&R allows for this? Or would I have to find some backroom tailor to make use of it?

Thanks!

If I recall correctly they don't do CMT suits; however, I'd ask them to be sure.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads