Because I am a geek, an appropriate poll

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by skalogre, Apr 26, 2006.

1. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

I think I liked TNG more, cus I grew up with it, but DS9 was great. I don't like the other newer ones anywhere near as much. The original is too far removed from my generation...the communicator isn't some futuristic device, it's a free Nokia phone that you get when you sign up for 2 years service.

Jon.

2. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

I think I liked TNG more, cus I grew up with it, but DS9 was great. I don't like the other newer ones anywhere near as much. The original is too far removed from my generation...the communicator isn't some futuristic device, it's a free Nokia phone that you get when you sign up for 2 years service.

Jon.

LOL

3. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

i loved the episode of boston legal where shatner flips open his phone and it makes the 'tk-tk' sound from TOS.

4. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

i loved the episode of boston legal where shatner flips open his phone and it makes the 'tk-tk' sound from TOS.

OMG I WANT A CLIP OF THAT!

5. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Well, a member of my family was a moderately avid Trekkie while TNG was airing, so TNG. I liked that Picard was a good strategist and a thinker, rather than the brash boldness of his predessor (I only watched the original once or twice). Picard was an INTJ, as am I, so that fits. Furthermore, I do think PS is a good actor generally, and he owns a pair of Jaguar XJ-S's, so the man clearly has taste.

Best things about ST, and I suppose SciFi generally, if it follows the mold, is an attempt to create an expansion of ideas. Where else will you see such an a priori concept like time being treated as cavalierly as its arbitrary nature deserves? Or an actual diverse culture free from the abhorrence of PC? Or even half-serious treatment of the concept of a multiverse (so necessary if you are a superstring theorist)? Or the introduction of even simple philosophical concepts into a plot -- there was this neat episode where Riker wakes up somewhere, and he thinks he's lviing in an illusion, and the illusion is within and illusion -- the 'what is reality' paradox. Some definite good stuff going on.

Regards,
    Huntsman

6. Margaret

Margaret Senior member

A non-Trekkie's perspective, for what it's worth:

1. Voyager, because... Janeway AND Seven of Nine? No brainer. Their sex appeal alone makes up for Chakotay, Kim, Neelix, the Spock and McCoy wannabees and all the other annoying-as-hell second-rate characters.

2. TOS has to be at least second, because... c'mon. It... startedit... All.Where... wouldwebe...Without. It. ?

3. TNG. Picard/Steward rules, but the rest of the cast is so... blech. Especially Weasely Crusher. Actually, his mom is pretty watchable, but that's about it.

DSN and the rest haven't made enough of an impression either way...

7. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

I keep tuning into Boston Legal for three reasons, 1. Shatner, 2. the possibility of Shatner shooting someone, and 3. the hope (faith?) that someday Leonard Nimoy will guest star.

8. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'm the first person to vote for the original series?? That's outrageous. Great stories, simply told, often with a nice (if heavyhanded) moral. Even the weak episodes are uplifted by the three leads. Perfect.

I like TNG, but it's looking really dated. Very much of its day. There are some fine stories there, but I've found the series falling in my estimation as time goes on. I never came to like the characters the way I do the originals.

DS9 did some interesting things, but it's too self-involved for me. I've only seen maybe half the episodes. Someday I should sit down and watch it from beginning to end. I'd probably appreciate it more if I did, but I find it hard to commit to its elaborate soap opera complications.

Voyager is terrible. Can't even watch it. Enterprise was finally getting good when they killed it off.

Now they're talking about making another movie in hopes of reinvigorating the franchise. Supposedly it will feature new actors playing Kirk, Spock and McCoy as Starfleet cadets. I'd go see it if they brought back Shatner in some capacity.

9. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

Well, actually, one of my Star Trek episodes is this (naturally, Kirk does the squelchie with Leela after trying to kill each other and Nimoy acts disgusted) [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Lamo

Lamo Senior member

loved DS9, never did get into the other shows.

11. Lamo

Lamo Senior member

Well, actually, one of my Star Trek episodes is this (naturally, Kirk does the squelchie with Leela after trying to kill each other and Nimoy acts disgusted)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

that was a great episode. William Shatner does a lovely rendition of Slim Shady[​IMG]

12. Nick M

Nick M Senior member

Voyager is terrible. Can't even watch it.
    Agreed.

Voyager, from what I saw, was the series that most heavily used that pseudo-scientific technobabble in place of actual decent writing.

Where in the other shows, they'd fight their way out of a tight spot, or fall back on diplomacy, most eps of Voyager had them realigning the neutrino array or reversing the polarity of the deflector dish or whatever. And in about half the episodes I saw, the crew, the ship, maybe the universe was destroyed, and somehow the one remaining plucky crewmember hit a cosmic reset button and everything was back to normal again.

For a show about a crew stranded out in deep space, there was a real lack of any kind of tension.

AND, in every episode of Enterprise I saw, the Captain got abducted.

On the other hand, I liked the ST movies where they went back in time - 4 and First Contact (?).

And the 25th anniversary original series PC game - that was great.

EDIT: And how could I forget Star Trek 2, with Khaaaaaaaaaaaaan!

13. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

14. javyn

javyn Senior member

Sounds like it would be another drag. Does anyone else think they should stop trying to do the shows farther in the past, or inbetween time periods of the other st series?

I'd like to see something that takes place AFTER everything that's happened in the Star Trek universe, with a completely new cast and new set of circumstances.

I found Firefly to be much more compelling, and the shows were just about the crew getting the job done, staying ahead of the law, and keeping gas in the tank. Not always having to save the planet Earth from a death ray and whatnot. I can't really believe they are serious about reviving this franchise when they merely find new ways to do the same thing over and over.

15. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Sounds like it would be another drag. Does anyone else think they should stop trying to do the shows farther in the past, or inbetween time periods of the other st series?

I'm not entirely sold on the "young Kirk" idea, but I think they need the nostalgia for the original series to resucitate interest. I doubt many people would pay money to see characters they've never heard of. And pushing Trek further into the future, significantly beyond TNG, seems a little far-fetched.