1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Beautiful Lost Worlds leather peacoat - not warm enough ...

Discussion in 'Menswear Advice' started by BrightRice, May 15, 2019 at 9:53 PM.

1. BrightRice

BrightRice New Member

I've had this great peacoat for the last 5 years. Normally wear it on winter vacations to Norway, Finland, Switzerland. The rest of the year I live in Asia (so not used to cold weather anymore).

I love the jacket - but I freeze my balls off. Even with thermal long underwear (top) and a tshirt, the jacket just doesn't keep me warm enough.

It's very thick horsehide leather, great in the rain - but in very cold weather it acts more as a windbreaker than keeping in body warmth.

I can't really send it back and get a liner put in (nor would I want to). Really looking for advice on some kind of lightweight, (very small/packable) thermal shirt, lightweight jacket I can wear underneath the peacoat for very cold days.

Sweaters and zip up cotton hoodies are out as they tend to be bulky and take up 1/5 of my carry on suitcase.

Failing that - a recommendation for good thermal underwear would be appreciated. I tried Lands End and LL Bean and some silk ones from Amazon and all were miserably (bone shaking) ineffective.

Thanks much!

73900ebb59c2fddbf1838c8c20f054a2.jpg

2. breakaway01

breakaway01 Distinguished Member

how cold are we talking about? There is a limit to how much warmth you can expect from just a baselayer (long underwear) for warmth since you can't wear anything bulky underneath this coat. Insulating layers work primarily by trapping warm air near your body, so there is a fundamental tradeoff between thickness and warmth. You might just have to accept that you need a real winter coat for winter weather.

What weight of the LL Bean or Lands End long underwear did you try? If you've just tried lightweight or midweight layers, you could try the Patagonia Capilene Thermal Weight baselayers. I'd go with both top & bottom. Wear a good hat as well.

3. IronRiceBowl

IronRiceBowl Active Member

Have you tried wool base layers? I don't really understand the logic of silk if you're trying to stay warm - look into some warm wool layers from reputable outdoor brands like Smartwool, Ibex, Icebreaker, etc.

4. ter1413

ter1413 Stylish Dinosaur

Have you considered buying a new coat?

5. johng70

johng70 Senior Member

I agree with the above poster. Leather is really not the best in cold climate. Even if well insulated it gets stiff. Because of the size of that pictured coat, you're losing a lot of luggage space. A wool coat is potentially better option if you like more traditional. If we're talking serious cold then down is better - easier to pack than wool.

6. UNOAIMX

UNOAIMX Senior Member

You can just wear one of those liner jackets that skiers wear underneath the peacoat: get one from Walmart 100 bucks.
    Google ski liner jacket.

7. aboutTIME1028

aboutTIME1028 New Member

I'd have a look into merino wool baselayers found in outdoor stores,sometines in tjmaxx AMD Amazon. Look out for icebreaker,xtm,smartwool. These are some of the best brands baselayers.