• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Beau Brummell Drama

trogdor

Reaction score
Did anyone see the dramatisation of Beau Brummell's life that just aired on BBC4 this evening? (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0788026/) I'd be interested to hear the thoughts of other SF-ers. It seemed oddly over-dramatised, and I wonder how much of the detail was invented by the director to make it more "dramatic" (like the menage a trois with Lord Byron and some random girl?) Still, it was quite entertaining; I thought Brummell came across as a total prick. That was especially interesting, given how highly regarded he is 'round these parts. I've got an un-read copy of Ian Kelly's biography of Brummell sitting on my bookshelf, so perhaps I'll have to crack it open now, just to see how the tale it tells compares. [Edit]: For non-UK peeps, here's a link where you can watch some clips: http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/cinema/...brummell.shtml It's also already posted on some of the UK TV torrent sites.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
maybe Sophia Coppola will make Beau an upcoming project and set it to modern rock music

dorian

Reaction score
I saw it and was unimpressed, firstly by the acting and secondly by some aspects of the plot. I prefer the Stewart Granger film, aired several months ago on TV in the UK.

With regards to good ol' Byron, I wouldn't put anything past him - if you do some research on his conquests in Venice and you'll be shocked/impressed by the details.

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by trogdor
Did anyone see the dramatisation of Beau Brummell's life that just aired on BBC4 this evening? (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0788026/)

I'd be interested to hear the thoughts of other SF-ers. It seemed oddly over-dramatised, and I wonder how much of the detail was invented by the director to make it more "dramatic" (like the menage a trois with Lord Byron and some random girl?) Still, it was quite entertaining; I thought Brummell came across as a total prick. That was especially interesting, given how highly regarded he is 'round these parts.

I've got an un-read copy of Ian Kelly's biography of Brummell sitting on my bookshelf, so perhaps I'll have to crack it open now, just to see how the tale it tells compares.

[Edit]: For non-UK peeps, here's a link where you can watch some clips: http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/cinema/...brummell.shtml
It's also already posted on some of the UK TV torrent sites.

Thanks for the links. Looking forward to when it airs on our PBS Masterpiece Theater.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just saw the BBC Drama this evening. I enjoyed it. I thought it was well played by James Purefoy. I'd recommend it.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 30 3.7%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 141 17.3%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 265 32.5%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 129 15.8%
  • 31 - 40