• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beatles Remastered discussion

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i prefer the mono mixes because i get a freaking headache when the artificial stereo mix puts the drums hard left, etc.....

i'd rather listen to it the way the band originally intended and IMO it's worth the money. i've gotten a lot of replay value out of the mono set on stuff i normally wouldn't due to the more balanced, even sound of it (barring whatever sonic research whatnot has been applied).

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
*sigh*, guess I will be heading to Best Buy today after all.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Success, found the mono box, but at $249.99, so I think anyone waiting for a sale may be waiting a while. I think the mono set will only appeal to a certain segment of the market, and that segment is probably not terribly price sensitive, so I can't see Apple cutting the price. Have listened to a few today, and I must say, they have a certain primitive charm that I like immensely. Well worth it for me, and it'll be interesting to toggle back and forth between the stereo and mono mixes from time to time.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
OK, kind of a cool moment. Listening to Please Please Me (stereo) and at 1:30 in the song, they f*ck up the words on the harmony, and John chortles when he starts in with the first "Come on..." of the chorus.. Even Beatles nerds need to have fun. For some reason I found this kinda cool.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
OK, kind of a cool moment. Listening to Please Please Me (stereo) and at 1:30 in the song, they f*ck up the words on the harmony, and John chortles when he starts in with the first "Come on..." of the chorus.. Even Beatles nerds need to have fun. For some reason I found this kinda cool.
Wait till you hear the non-George Martin stereo versions (tracks 15 and higher) on Help and Rubber Soul. Much better than the new and old stereo CDs. My U.K. first and second stamper vinyl still rules but these new CDs are so well done, I don't care.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by willpower
comp3.jpg

Any particular reason the low end is rolled off like that?

I'm still curious to know how they handled songs like "I am the Walrus", that in the original masters splice between stereo and enhanced mono.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tagutcow
Any particular reason the low end is rolled off like that?
Actually it's not rolled off. The stereo mixes are boosted in the low end. Notice that the boost is applied below 20hz, so it is mostly bass that can be felt rather than heard. EQ was not applied at all to the mono set.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
You have to also remember when the mono mixes came out the LP technology did not allow extremely low bass signals to be transfered to the record. 10 herz is very low.
teacha.gif

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
You guys are way, way advanced. I'm down for the stereo set for moi as a Christmas/Birthday present. If anyone sees it cheaper that $180 let me know...I tried to use the 25% Barnes and Noble gift card and it wouldn't let me.
frown.gif

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Mono set 200 on Amazon today

Stereo 170

Gentlemen, start your engines

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Best Buy same

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Mono set 200 on Amazon today

Stereo 170

Gentlemen, start your engines

$200 for a mono set? That's a great price. When I got mine for $290 it was the lowest price by $50 at the time.

Steve, you should consider the mono set. I suspect they will become collector's items and the packaging and mastering are A+.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
$200 for a mono set? That's a great price. When I got mine for $290 it was the lowest price by $50 at the time.

Steve, you should consider the mono set. I suspect they will become collector's items and the packaging and mastering are A+.

I ended up getting the stereo set because I don't have your ear, and would never be able to tell the difference. I ended up getting if for 155 after a grueling spell at 2 Best Buys for an online/pick up order. Best Buy has great prices but lousy service.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Best Buy same
ffffuuuu.gif
I have most of the albums individually in the new stereo mixes, and the only one I am missing that I'd really like in stereo is Hard Day's Night, so I may just buy that separately. Never cared a ton for For Sale or With The Beatles, and I think the mono mixes of those are truer to the original sound anyway, so I won't bother.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
ffffuuuu.gif

I have most of the albums individually in the new stereo mixes, and the only one I am missing that I'd really like in stereo is Hard Day's Night, so I may just buy that separately. Never cared a ton for For Sale or With The Beatles, and I think the mono mixes of those are truer to the original sound anyway, so I won't bother.

I have seen Hard Day's Night in the CD Warehouses in Atlanta for $8 slightly used.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads