• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beatles Remastered discussion

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bluemagic
The Target here has them for 11.99. Is it really $2 more expensive in Omaha?!

The Berkshire Hathaway VAT

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bluemagic
Did everyone else also listen to all the "tease" records for this project, like Let It Be Naked, The Capitol Boxes, and Love? What are your thoughts on the sound quality for those remasterings, versus this one?
Naked and Love are quite different as they are true remixes rather than remasters. Naked was a McCartney project to free his songs from the Phil Spector strings and orchestral accoutrements that Spector added to the final mixes in 1970. Love sounds huge and very different, especially the 5.1 DVD which is an absolute must have if you have a 5.1 sound system at home. The closest sounding of the recent releases is the 1 CD which came out a few years ago.
7313224b9da0b9226016c010.L.jpg
If you want to sample one of the recent remasters, Abbey Road is a good one. Big difference. Saw it at Starbucks for $12.50

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by willpower
If you want to sample one of the recent remasters, Abbey Road is a good one. Big difference. Saw it at Starbucks for $12.50

They are all vast improvements over the 1987 remasters with the exception of a few tracks on the White album.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not saying I don't like, but I found the reverb on the high hat in Let it Be jarring when I first heard it.. Grows on me though..

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
Not saying I don't like, but I found the reverb on the high hat in Let it Be jarring when I first heard it.. Grows on me though..

Look for the Get Back Sessions bootleg which was how Glyn Johns intended that album to sound. It is much better than the Phil Spector version. He murdered people and sonics as it turns out.
frown.gif

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
Look for the Get Back Sessions bootleg which was how Glyn Johns intended that album to sound. It is much better than the Phil Spector version. He murdered people and sonics as it turns out.
frown.gif

I'll try to find this. I have Let it Be Naked, and the sound is definitely different, in some cases dramatically.

I will say that the remastered CDs give me a new appreciation for my car's sound system. I almost always have the radio tuned to satellite, so when I popped in the remastered Let it Be out of excitement to hear "new music" from the Beatles, the quality of the sound blew my fuckin' ears off..

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I'll try to find this. I have Let it Be Naked, and the sound is definitely different, in some cases dramatically.

I will say that the remastered CDs give me a new appreciation for my car's sound system. I almost always have the radio tuned to satellite, so when I popped in the remastered Let it Be out of excitement to hear "new music" from the Beatles, the quality of the sound blew my fuckin' ears off..

They do sound superb, really very close to my collector Beatles LPs. If you don't mind, what car stereo system are you rocking? I have a Mark Levinson system in the Lexus which sounds terrific.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They do sound superb, really very close to my collector Beatles LPs. If you don't mind, what car stereo system are you rocking? I have a Mark Levinson system in the Lexus which sounds terrific.

Sorry dude, I am an audiophobe when it comes to details, but the enhanced premium package in the M3..

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The versions on the actual Rock Band game are definitely remixes, in some cases quite different sounding than their traditional counterparts. All of them have authentic count ins and instruments are placed in different spots in the stereo image. The endings are often different as well. Not necessarily better, yet worth seeking out.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I spoke to John Atkinson, editor of Stereophile, today at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest about the Beatles remasters. He likes the extra resolution and say they only use mild compression (around 3db).

I also attended Roy Gregory's discussion on audio measurement and there is a fairly significant breakthrough there I will discuss soon.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I spoke to John Atkinson, editor of Stereophile, today at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest about the Beatles remasters. He likes the extra resolution and say they only use mild compression (around 3db).

I also attended Roy Gregory's discussion on audio measurement and there is a fairly significant breakthrough there I will discuss soon.

Here's a teaser: http://www.vertexaq.com/content/view/36/1/

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
As soon as I find a massive sale on this I'll be picking up at least 2 or 3 as gifts and one for myself. I figure I'll be able to find it for about 1/2 off around Christmas so I'm in no hurry. Now if they'd release a nice remastered Stones box set I'd be set.

Looks like this may have turned out to be a bad strategy, the mono and stereo box sets have been sold out where I am since a few days after they were released, and I have not found any, much less on sale. I bit the bullet and just bought most of the catalogue as single CDs. Still need a couple of the earlier ones to complete my collection, but have all the ones that were important to me.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So after I posted the above, I checked Best Buy's website and they apparently have the mono and stereo box sets back in stock and at all the local stores..
ffffuuuu.gif

So tell me, is it worth it to spend another $275 on the mono box set for somebody who mainly listens to music in his car or iPod?

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So after I posted the above, I checked Best Buy's website and they apparently have the mono and stereo box sets back in stock and at all the local stores..
ffffuuuu.gif
So tell me, is it worth it to spend another $275 on the mono box set for somebody who mainly listens to music in his car or iPod?

Not for that much $, IMHO. They haven't had the low end boost that the stereo remasters were given, so I guess that makes them technically more pure. I'd get one or the other, but both is overkill. There are a few gems in the mono mixes (Pepper and the White Album are quite different mixes), but it's too expensive for the added curiosity factor. Also, the mono box set doesn't include Abbey Road and Let It Be, as both were never originally mixed for mono.
comp3.jpg

B1FF

Reaction score
ffffuuuu.gif

Start saving for the USB-key edition with 24bit FLAC.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads