• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beatin ****** into shape

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
ok so some of you know i had surgery a couple of months back, all recovered nicely and so on, but during the month or so where i could do near nothing, i put on 6kg (or 15lbs if you are that way inclined). A month laying on a mattress eating has predictably gone straight to the gut. So this week I started stair running, every morning I have been running about 600 steps (from basement to rooftop of my building is about 120, i do it five times) I think I should mix it up a little though, do some conditioning, so what do you guys think of this circuit I found on the BBC website and this one on Askmen. I want something I can do in sorta 15, 20 mins, since Ill do it in the morning before work, and Im not so good at that early morning thing... Any other suggestions. Priority 1 is some cardio to burn off the fat, but I want to get some all round better conditioning as well.

stach

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of walking. Maybe a little weight lifting? Muscles burn fat -

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stach
I'm a big fan of walking. Maybe a little weight lifting? Muscles burn fat -
Walking? They dont really have that here! Seriously, the traffic, the touts and the huge lack of parks do kinda rule out walking and running. I used to go trail running out in the jungles with the local Hash guys - which was great, but they would follow it with reckless beer drinking which, while fun, kinda defeats the purpose of exercise

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiger02
Boxing?
yeah that exists but for some reason all the clubs train at 6 am (no such thing) and 4 pm (matt at work) dammit. i am looking at wrestling however...

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Who needs a club? Just get drunk every night and let the rest follow
wink.gif

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
another suggestion - the more musce mass you have, the more calories you will burn during your standard day. and, coincidently, you are at the best age in life to pack muscle mass. if you do 30 minutes of circuit weight lifting a day, with 3 or 4 excersizes each day (for instance, bench press, squat, lat pull down, military press on monday wed and friday and 3 or 4 core excersizes - good morning, chop, romanian deadlift and crunches on tue and thursday) you would be able to get pretty good results quickly. if you do the excerzises quickly, you can keep your heart moving.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is a good excercise to get your heart rate way up there and tone up some stuff. If you can't read the instructions, they say - breathe out on the way down breathe in on the way up...

Excercise

Instructions

See if you can do 50 - 100 reps. haha!

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tck13
Here is a good excercise to get your heart rate way up there and tone up some stuff. If you can't read the instructions, they say - breathe out on the way down breathe in on the way up...

Excercise

Instructions

See if you can do 50 - 100 reps. haha!

hey thanks for that, can you scan me the Hindu pushups thing as well, I was looking around for some of the Combat Conditioning stuff a few days ago (after I saw the bodyweight stuff mentioned in the pecs thread). PS - dont worry, I wont tell Sysdoc's copyright lawyers.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
hey thanks for that, can you scan me the Hindu pushups thing as well, I was looking around for some of the Combat Conditioning stuff a few days ago (after I saw the bodyweight stuff mentioned in the pecs thread).

PS - dont worry, I wont tell Sysdoc's copyright lawyers.

Here is the Pushup
and theinstructions.
These two excercises and descriptions are on his website somewhere but they are hard to find. I assumed it was ok to post since I am giving full credit to Furey.

If not, let's hope he doesn't get a sudden interest in men's clothes.
lookaround.gif

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
thanks so much. and dont worry about that Furey *****. I think one on one...Sysdocs lawyer could take him.

chrisc

Reaction score
m@T-

As long as you work up a sweat and make your muscles feel sore, your body will respond (Build stronger muscles, lose fat.) Our bodies are meant to adapt to the environment, so if you train it like hell, it'll be ready for hell. There are just many ways of doing it, so find one that not only works for you but something that is enjoyable as well. That's really important, I sometimes don't feel like doing my exercise because it bores me. So mix it up at times, it helps me.

Another very important thing is to change your diet. No matter how hard you work out, if you eat junk at the same time, all you'll get is big and strong muscles under a layer of fat. Not good (unless you want the husky look.) If you drink soda, drink water. You'll get used to it in a few days, the sugar cravings do go away. And while I'm not telling you to eat celery and carrots (I sure don't) try not to eat fast food. You can make many meals at home that taste great and are good for you.

I'm being a bit general, but I believe you know what is good and what is not. Eventually you'll find something that'll work and it'll be your very own regiment.

Hope this helps

-Chris

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
thanks so much. and dont worry about that Furey *****. I think one on one...Sysdocs lawyer could take him.

Whew, I think I see his lawyers now...

Scary.jpg

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Hey Chris

Thanks for that. Yeah, running the stairs kills me - burning quads now to prove it. My diet is reasonable, carrots and celery no, but living in Vietnam tends to put you on a decent diet. There is no McDonalds or Burger King or anything of that sort here and I can forgive myself a pizza once a week.

Soda is my weakness, and yah, im trying to cut back on it, drinking a lot more juices.

The other thing I am trying (currently unsuccessfully) to kill is late night eating. I snack too much at night, then lay down with a full stomach and sleep while it turns itself into gut. Gotta stop that...

Ive never been a good workout guy, I just get too bored, thats why I want to keep it short and efficient. Beat the hell out of myself for 20 mins rather than spend a couple hours progressing steadily at the gym. The only thing Ive been ever able to sustain past a couple months is fighting, and, as noted above, my options for that here are pretty limited.

Thanks again, and keep the advice coming guys

Matt

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads