1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Beard: Some Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by NoNothingGuy, Mar 1, 2011.

1. DoTheGrownup

DoTheGrownup Senior member

TTO was born to have a beard..he would look ridiculous if he shaved it.

I feel the same way. Shave the neck every 1-2 days, trim every 1-2 weeks (and always before a big meeting). I haven't been clean shaven in almost 5 years.

2. Roger Everett

Roger Everett Senior member

It might be added that some people think having a beard is less touble Well :- you can shave every day in 5 min. -- OR -- shave neck and cheeks in 5 mn. every 2 days then spend half hour or more once a week trimming ( generally more )

Roger

3. CaymanS

CaymanS Senior member

I have a goatee in corporate environs and nobody can tell me shit. #SWAG

4. Brogued

Brogued Senior member

I've seen it done well. Patrick Grant pulls it off, in my opinion. Keep it trimmed.

5. D Yizz

D Yizz Senior member

I have a goatee in corporate environs and nobody can tell me shit. #SWAG
    Goatee has been so prevalent, I think it has been accepted in most environments, except the most conservative. I don't see why a well trimmed beard would be frowned upon in a business environment. Yes, I know it'd look strange if the President of the US sported a goatee, but I wouldnt mind a well trimmed beard in anybody that looks good in it. I don't know but where I come from, big statesmen in yesteryear almost always had some kind of facial hair and it would mean stature, knowledge, etc. Personally, I had a goatee from late '97 to around nov '09, when I let a full beard grow. I prefer the 3-5 day growth rather than a fuller trim, because I look older with the latter. I also shave neck and cheeks daily, because I have always hated the unkempt look, except during the weekends if I don't have to dress up.

6. D Yizz

D Yizz Senior member

It might be added that some people think having a beard is less touble Well :- you can shave every day in 5 min. -- OR -- shave neck and cheeks in 5 mn. every 2 days then spend half hour or more once a week trimming ( generally more )

Roger

I take about 2 minutes everyday, neck and cheeks. Much less razor burn!

7. Mr T

Mr T Senior member

Caveat : One must be careful when just growing a beard or have this new look of needing a shave, as I have had ladies tell me it is chafing to the inner thigh when down there in persuit of kissing the oyster, esp. if they are a shaver.

Odd, I have always thought of it more as a clam than an oyster.

I grow a beard every winter and shave it off every spring. I love my beard but as far as I can tell I am the only one who does. The damn thing comes in four different colors; brown, gray, copper, and blondish at the mustache. Whats not to like about that?

8. GBR

GBR Senior member

There is absolutely no reason why you should not have a beard if you want one. There is far too much nonsense talked about then 'not being professional' and other similar over worked words.

9. NoNothingGuy

NoNothingGuy Senior member

There is absolutely no reason why you should not have a beard if you want one. There is far too much nonsense talked about then 'not being professional' and other similar over worked words.

I agree, but some people are just weird about beards. I like to think that people who cannot grow a beard are usually the ones with some kind of Freudian envy...

I wish we could revert to the days when all men had long flowing beards! I think it is a distinguished look.

10. gort

gort Senior member

It's all about how neat you keep it. I remember seeing NYR's pics when he trimmed his beard and he looked 10x better than when his beard was in full winter mode (imho).

11. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

WTF is this some of the kids text talk, some of us are over 50

LURK MOAR, STFU AND GTFO N00B!! [​IMG]

12. westinghouse

westinghouse Senior member

Beards trap food, smell bad, and cause pimples.

13. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

I have a goatee and a mustashe. I really don't like a full beard

14. SnarlPatrick

SnarlPatrick Senior member

Shaving regularly gives me ingrown hairs. Fortunately, I don't have to answer to anyone at the moment, so its a non-issue. Anyone who can grow a proper beard has license to in my opinion. [​IMG] Also, I've never seen a goatee that wouldn't have looked better as a full beard or clean shaven.

15. pvrhye

pvrhye Senior member

Beards trap food, smell bad, and cause pimples.

They fight off ingrown hairs however.

16. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

When I was in Italy I grew a full beard. Kept getting asked for directions by Americans... And Italians for that matter.

17. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

I dont like a beard - people kept saying I looked like Jesus.

Since my hair started thinning on top, I shave my head down to around a grade 2 keeping it grade 0 on sides. I wear my stubble at around a grade 0. I never shave apart from cheeks and neck.

18. Mr. White

Mr. White Senior member

When I was younger, my beard was dark and long. I had to wear it long because it was thin. Wearing it long helped my skinny face look rounder. People would react by crossing over to walk on the other side of the street. I have no idea whether others thought it was "professional" because I wasn't one back then.

When it turned white, the transparency no longer mattered. I now keep it as short as the longest setting on the beard trimmer. No one ever makes any comments on my beard, but I get lots of eye attention and head snapping from my clothes. I think that, if I didn't bother to wear colors and styles well suited to my face and color, I'd get comments like "you don't look professional."

19. Metlin

Metlin Senior member

I dont like a beard - people kept saying I looked like Jesus.

Do you?

20. blahman

blahman Senior member

I have seen people let it go and honestly look homeless. (no offence to the homeless on this forum).

You making him very sad[​IMG] :
    [​IMG]

Beards are fine in the office as long as its neat and well trimmed. Sometime it makes one actually look more professional/experienced having a beard. And sometime you can look alpha as fuck. Co-worker at my office has a trimmed beard/long stubbles and he pretty much scared the crap out of me for my first 2 weeks there.