• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beanies...

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That SNS one looks great. Would prefer the textured knit to the striped ones I've seen.

Considering a new Saint James red cap for that Stevesie look.

I have a couple surplus wool that do the job. Also a Carhartt acrylic.

I liked this one from WWM f/w09 but couldn't stomach an $80 knit cap.

ckqCp.jpg

I tried to source a similar hat from Centralia Knitting Mills (that looks suspiciously like CKM fabric) but it didn't work out.

There's always $5 US-made cotton caps from Columbia Knit.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
are you pulling a ctk on us?

80 is not a lot for a beanie

the_state

Reaction score
J Press makes my favorite beanies. The cable knit bobcats are a staple in my fall/winter wardrobe and I might have to scoop one of those new fair-isle esque numbers... A bit pricey, but very well made.

blazingazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what you folks think of the beanies / toques with a brim like a cap?

slack tide

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rosenberg
where 2 kop SNS

http://www.streetammo.com/commodity/...erning-rem-hat

But I must say, if you're in the US, shipping can take a while. 2+ weeks. But the price on the hat (the same one I photographed) is cheaper than you can find it elsewhere. So if you have the time on your hands to wait, StreetAmmo is okay.

They take orders from inside the US, and route them to Europe -- then deliver international registered airmail. I'm not sure if SA has some sort of relationship with SNS, and they're possibly being drop shipped -- but the production date on my cap was very recent so it almost leads me to believe that's the case.

I'm sure there are other places to find the the SNS knit hat, but this is my suggestion assuming you have a few weeks to wait for shipping.

But warning on these caps. Know how to wear it. Check the model fit pics and decide if you can pull off that look. (suggestion: if you have a "big" head -- you most likely cannot). My hat game is pretty versatile, but this thing is proving to be a challenge...

slack tide

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blazingazn

I am not a fan. If you're out skiing or snowboarding -- cool. Otherwise I think of frat-boys or 17 year old skateboarders, pot heads, et al. I know that's some broad generalizing but I think the brimmed beanie carries a certain stigma.

No offense to you of course. But this is my opinion. Normally I would say, "if it looks good - rock it" (like sweatpants in public
smile.gif
)-- but not brimmed beanies, in my opinion.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
are you pulling a ctk on us?

80 is not a lot for a beanie

Haha, well there's not being willing to pay for what you really want (ctk) and then there's just plain cheap (me).

slack tide

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by the_state
J Press makes my favorite beanies. The cable knit bobcats are a staple in my fall/winter wardrobe and I might have to scoop one of those new fair-isle esque numbers... A bit pricey, but very well made.

Yeah, I like that J. Press Bobcat in light gray. Got it into the shopping cart, actually. But I think I could get a train ticket from NYC to DC for cheaper than their shipping costs. I need to start being more conscious of shipping instead of just clicking straight through as I normally do...with effin blinders on, just wanting my thing. You're paying for a convenience, but sometimes the price can be excessive. It's more principle versus the actual cost. $15 bucks to ship a <1lb beanie from NY to mid Atlantic.

aphextwin07

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blake
^^^^^^

I have had e--neff of those beanies.

seriously, overall the coal stuff is great and well priced.

i wouldn't go so far as to call coal quality great... i certainly feel the broke-college-kid vibe when wearing mine more than anything else. the quality inferiority is rather visible and the logo placement is tacky and awful.

Originally Posted by blazingazn

they're cool for casual wear imo... although i do share some of slack tide's sentiments about the look they project. but to disagree with his last point, i would say if you can pull it off, then go for it. i have one that i occasionally use for snowboarding that I reluctantly wore once or twice to work for lack of owning a good alternative. while i certainly wont be doing that ever this winter, the fact that it worked pretty flawlessly with the rest of my outfit coupled with the sub-zero-like temps outside made it a no-brainer.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
Haha, well there's not being willing to pay for what you really want (ctk) and then there's just plain cheap (me).

isn't this one in the same?

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just a heads up but Hautelook has a sale on Coal beanies today.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads