• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beach Wedding - Cream Linen Suit w/ Grey Paul Smith Sneakers?

nk416

Reaction score
Hi everyone - looking for a little help for an upcoming beach wedding I am going to. It will likely be quite an informal event.

I will be wearing the following:

1. Cream (off-white) linen suit
2. Light grey dress shirt (light fabric, not a harsh weave so it matches with the suit)

Now here is my dilema - the above is all Armani which is breaking the bank. I also budgeted for a pair of casual sneakers that I could wear around town etc, as I don't own any acceptable brown shoes to go with this suit. I purchased a pair of Ferragamo white sneakers but they just look too odd with the cream linen suit.

Would it be too weird to get something grey like this, but less busy (http://static.paulsmith.co.uk/images...l-g2-35919.jpg) to go with the suit? The purpose here is that I want to buy something I will be able to wear for casual wear on the town, and not something brown (which I rarely wear) that I won't wear again. Trying to get the biggest bang for the buck.

Any opinions?

Many thanks

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally, I dislike the way sneakers look with a suit. Having said that, these ones look too flashy for me. A suit would require simpler sneakers imho.

P.S. I like the sneakers, though.

P.P.S. Why don't you like brown? It's the most versatile color for shoes.

nk416

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
Personally, I dislike the way sneakers look with a suit. Having said that, these ones look too flashy for me. A suit would require simpler sneakers imho.

P.S. I like the sneakers, though.

P.P.S. Why don't you like brown? It's the most versatile color for shoes.

Have just never been a fan of brown - don't know exactly why. What do you think of something grey with the cream linen - will it match?

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure how these would look with a suit, but I would recommend buying them anyway. One of the most comfortable sneakers that I own. In fact, since this company went bankrupt, I bought every pair of shoes they made in size 9 I could find. Maybe one of these would help: http://www.6pm.com/ryan-rowe-tipton-canvas-black-canvas
636969-p-DETAILED.jpg
http://www.6pm.com/ryan-rowe-tipton-canvas-bone-canvas
6627-636971-d.jpg

tacobender

Reaction score
I own those paul smith rabbits in the OP. I love them, buy them even if you dont use them in the wedding.

My two cents on linen / beach weddings, I was in one last year....I don't mind linen suits, I am actually not visualizing your choice in shirt. If you want to do a fun beach wedding, why not get a light linen shirt in a bright color or great floral print?

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
how about a chukka as seen here:
Previewofunnameddocument.jpg
It would not only complement your suit but it also look good with a pair of jeans. edit: just realized that original post was made April 2010.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Sneakers" with a suit is as great a faux pas as it is possible to imagine even for a beach wedding.

Forget that and buy some decent brown shoes - slip ons or desert boots might convey the right informality.

Not too sure why you thought Armani was a good idea unless your friends admire labels not quality: Can you still economise by dropping that?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR
"Sneakers" with a suit is as great a faux pas as it is possible to imagine even for a beach wedding.

Forget that and buy some decent brown shoes - slip ons or desert boots might convey the right informality.

Not too sure why you thought Armani was a good idea unless your friends admire labels not quality: Can you still economise by dropping that?

better words were never said^^. ditch the sneakers pls. get a nice pair of bown shoes/loafers....u are not justin bieber!!

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads