Beach Chic Attire - Wedding

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Catman45, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Catman45

Catman45 Member

I'm attending a wedding in Hilton Head, SC and the attire is "Beach Chic". The ceremony actually takes place on the beach. I'm interpreting Beach Chich for a wedding to be something along the lines of Tommy Bahama. Any thoughts?

2. Aureus

Aureus Senior member

Ask? That term just seems so utterly vague that someone might show up in anything from a speedo to a summer suit.

3. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

I think they meant "beach chick," so bikini, some sort of sarong, flip flops, big ol sunglasses or giant straw hat. Right? [​IMG]

I think linen or cotton suit, striped/checked shirt, sandals (shudder), no tie, silk pocket square.

4. Verb

Verb Active Member

I think they meant "beach chick," so bikini, some sort of sarong, flip flops, big ol sunglasses or giant straw hat. Right? [​IMG]

I think linen or cotton suit, striped/checked shirt, sandals (shudder), no tie, silk pocket square.

I would almost wager that this situation would cater to a lack of shoes entirely! Sandals just don't work well with suits but rolling up the pant legs a bit on a white or off-white pair of linen/cotton pants should work perfectly!

Example (minus the shoes obviously):
    [​IMG]
    (Ann Dem s/s 06)

5. Mentos

Mentos Senior member

This cruel conundrum once crept up on me, as well. There must be a crew of wedding planners up and down the southern coast of the Atlantic plotting how to throw the gents into a tizzy. In my case the wedding was on Jeckyl Island, GA.

As it ended up, I went in black linen pants and a black linen shirt, no jacket. (mind that I was a grad student at the time). I was dressed exactly like the groomsmen, so I sure wasn't underdressed. Based on that one experience, I would say that tie and jacket are not required for such events. Which is for the best, because it was about 100 degrees that night. Good times, good times...

If I had to do it over, I might at least start the evening in a linen suit, but I would have been the best dressed there, approximately.

6. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

A linen suit would be amazing.

7. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

I would almost wager that this situation would cater to a lack of shoes entirely! Sandals just don't work well with suits but rolling up the pant legs a bit on a white or off-white pair of linen/cotton pants should work perfectly!

I'd try to avoid white even for a beach wedding.

8. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

A linen suit would be amazing.

STP has a Haspel linen suit. I was tempted by it, but had to get the seersucker instead. You could also do great things with a seersucker suit.

9. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

Like AlanC, seersucker comes to mind, linen shirt sans tie and espadrilles sans socks or sandals.

10. vc2000

vc2000 Senior member

Without any guidance from the wedding party those in attendance will wear anything from shorts with no shoes to a suit. I would wear what you feel comfortable in. If you wear a linen suit you will probably be closer to overdressed. Are you comfortable with that? Some will attend that will be very happy to underdressed in the shorts.

11. boston

boston Senior member

beige seersucker
    white polo shirt
    brown leather sandals

-boston

12. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

beach chic for a wedding means an off-white linen or cotton suit, white linen shirt, no tie, no socks. shoes/sandals optional.

this is a common outfit for beach or maritime weddings.

13. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

The word chic is overused in the most tangential contexts.

14. Charley

Charley Senior member

If you really are serious about your dress for this wedding,
    Consider this an opportunity
    To acquire a fine linen suit - and shirt.

It will serve you well for the wedding
    And for many years after.

Look for something - bespoke maybe - in slightly off white / tea biscuit - very heavy linen - not the shirt weight Belgian stuff advertized in the RTW emails.

15. Horace

Horace Senior member

Hilton Head? Perhaps white or cream trouser, blue blazer and suitable shirt and tie?