• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beach Chic Attire - Wedding

Catman45

Reaction score
I'm attending a wedding in Hilton Head, SC and the attire is "Beach Chic". The ceremony actually takes place on the beach. I'm interpreting Beach Chich for a wedding to be something along the lines of Tommy Bahama. Any thoughts?

Aureus

Reaction score
Ask? That term just seems so utterly vague that someone might show up in anything from a speedo to a summer suit.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think they meant "beach chick," so bikini, some sort of sarong, flip flops, big ol sunglasses or giant straw hat. Right?
devil.gif

I think linen or cotton suit, striped/checked shirt, sandals (shudder), no tie, silk pocket square.

Verb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
I think they meant "beach chick," so bikini, some sort of sarong, flip flops, big ol sunglasses or giant straw hat. Right?
devil.gif

I think linen or cotton suit, striped/checked shirt, sandals (shudder), no tie, silk pocket square.

I would almost wager that this situation would cater to a lack of shoes entirely! Sandals just don't work well with suits but rolling up the pant legs a bit on a white or off-white pair of linen/cotton pants should work perfectly!

Example (minus the shoes obviously):
00170m.jpg

(Ann Dem s/s 06)

Mentos

Reaction score
This cruel conundrum once crept up on me, as well. There must be a crew of wedding planners up and down the southern coast of the Atlantic plotting how to throw the gents into a tizzy. In my case the wedding was on Jeckyl Island, GA.

As it ended up, I went in black linen pants and a black linen shirt, no jacket. (mind that I was a grad student at the time). I was dressed exactly like the groomsmen, so I sure wasn't underdressed. Based on that one experience, I would say that tie and jacket are not required for such events. Which is for the best, because it was about 100 degrees that night. Good times, good times...

If I had to do it over, I might at least start the evening in a linen suit, but I would have been the best dressed there, approximately.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Verb
I would almost wager that this situation would cater to a lack of shoes entirely! Sandals just don't work well with suits but rolling up the pant legs a bit on a white or off-white pair of linen/cotton pants should work perfectly!

I'd try to avoid white even for a beach wedding.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like AlanC, seersucker comes to mind, linen shirt sans tie and espadrilles sans socks or sandals.

vc2000

Reaction score
Without any guidance from the wedding party those in attendance will wear anything from shorts with no shoes to a suit. I would wear what you feel comfortable in. If you wear a linen suit you will probably be closer to overdressed. Are you comfortable with that? Some will attend that will be very happy to underdressed in the shorts.

boston

Reaction score
beige seersucker
white polo shirt
brown leather sandals

-boston

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
beach chic for a wedding means an off-white linen or cotton suit, white linen shirt, no tie, no socks. shoes/sandals optional.

this is a common outfit for beach or maritime weddings.

Charley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you really are serious about your dress for this wedding,
Consider this an opportunity
To acquire a fine linen suit - and shirt.

It will serve you well for the wedding
And for many years after.

Look for something - bespoke maybe - in slightly off white / tea biscuit - very heavy linen - not the shirt weight Belgian stuff advertized in the RTW emails.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hilton Head? Perhaps white or cream trouser, blue blazer and suitable shirt and tie?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads