BBC/Ice Cream - What? Why?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Manny Calavera, May 6, 2006.

1. Manny Calavera

Manny Calavera Senior member

I didn't find any threads via searching so I thought I'd just create this. What's the deal with these labels? I know they were started by Pharrell Williams and that's the extent of my knowledge. Honestly, most of the stuff looks like crap (I do want one of those BBC "bling" hoodies though, as I think it would be hilarious to wear in the area I'm currently living). I'm just wondering why it's so much money and sold at Barney's. Is it actually well-made?

And what's the connection to BAPE?

2. weirdnjfan1

weirdnjfan1 Senior member

The connection to BAPE is simple. Nigo, who created A Bathing Ape, Bape, Baby Milo, and various other lines, is friends with Pharrell. Billionaire Boys Club, which is made under the BAPE supervision is more of a high end street wear line, aimed at 17-28 year olds who think that it's cool to wear stuff that has cool logos on it.

Ice Cream is mainly done by Reebok's RBK division, with supervision from Nigo. It's more aimed at the younger crowd that likes to skate. They do have some shoes, but they are just like the Bapestas, ugly as sin to some, cool as hell to others.

3. v0rtex

v0rtex Senior member

Ice Cream is the footwear line of Billionaire Boys Club. Nigo (of BAPE) was originally a mere collaborator with Pharrell Williams on the designs, and the items were to be manufactured by Reebok. However, the Reebok deal fell through sometime around 2005 and now the items are manufactured through a "working relationship" with BAPE. Just as with BAPE, the items are certainly not as well made as they are well marketed. People are suckers for false scarcity, especially when it has a big logo splashed over it. (Source: http://www.billionaire-boys-club.co.uk/)

4. shellshock

shellshock Forum Mascot

anyone seen the johnny cupcakes site lately?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. VENDER

VENDER Active Member

anyone seen the johnny cupcakes site lately?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

that is so wack.

6. shellshock

shellshock Forum Mascot

that is so wack.

i think its funny. i love johnny cupcakes. and cupcakes in general. [​IMG]

7. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

i think its funny. i love johnny cupcakes. and cupcakes in general. [​IMG]
    I love cupcakes too. I used to make chocolate ones with strawberry frosting and eat like 10 at a time. The method of choice is to break the top off and flip it over onto the bottom, then eat the whole thing in one bite.

8. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

killafornia, your avatar is the tits.

BAPE is a perfect example of false exclusivity. Truly a triumph of marketing over substance and design.

9. shellshock

shellshock Forum Mascot

thanks! [​IMG]mashimaro[​IMG]

P.S. [​IMG] <-----[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    im goin smiley crazy

10. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

thanks! [​IMG]mashimaro[​IMG]

P.S. [​IMG] <-----[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    im goin smiley crazy

Were they baked with love, and with two buck Chuck? And a Mynt in the middle?

11. StevenRocks

StevenRocks Senior member

BAPE is a perfect example of false exclusivity. Truly a triumph of marketing over substance and design.
    I visted the New York store recently and tend to agree. The whole BAPE enterprise is incredibly contrived. I have a lot of respect for Nigo and his marketing savvy, but I scoff at paying so much for so little.

12. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Ahem, please. The term is "produced scarcity", not "false exclusivity", which is so negative.

Speaking of which. I was talking to these dudes who run a store with a Nike 1 account (only stores like Union and Supreme have Nike 0 accounts. The difference, AFAIK, is that Mike 1 accounts get nearly all the exclusives, AFAIK, excepting the store specific exclusives. Nike won't even give a general account to a starting store.) Now, the whole Nike SB, Airforce and Quickstrike program in general, is marketing genius, even if the shoes are often ugly as a fat Margaret Thatcher. People will line up on a Saturday morning to buy a shoe that they have never seen...

13. shellshock

shellshock Forum Mascot

Were they baked with love, and with two buck Chuck? And a Mynt in the middle?

thats for your special batch. wine-cakes?? [​IMG]