• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BBBF suits fit strange

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
while i know the fit is Thom Browne that's not what im referring too. I noticed that the new made in USA BF suits fit really tight across the shoulders and flare out like crazy at the side. While I had tried on a made in Italy one a year or so ago int he same size and this wasn't the case. so i guess i wanted to know if anyone else experienced the new difference or if its just a change of cut.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, the difference you experienced is real. It's not just the suit jackets, but it's also the outerwear. The fit is off compared to the Italian made goods of '08 and '09. After many attempts to get the sleeves on a suit and overcoat from last fall altered for a better fit, I gave up, and have given up on BF altogether.

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so if i wanted something similar but not the same from BB id have to go the milano route?

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phoenixrecon
so if i wanted something similar but not the same from BB id have to go the milano route?

Well, the Milano is a completely different aesthetic than BF. BF was meant as BB's jump onto the classic-Americana-done-to-the-extreme trend from 08/09 while the Milano captures Brooks' traditional styling with a far more modern cut. It's a totally different look.

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that's what i figured and dreaded.... however because BB is so slow with the times i cant even try the Milano suit on in the store as they haven't ever received one yet and they only had one BBBF suit in my size and were going to stop carrying the suits all together.... im not sure what BB is doing...

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that's what i figured and dreaded.... however because BB is so slow with the times i cant even try the Milano suit on in the store as they haven't ever received one yet and they only had one BBBF suit in my size and were going to stop carrying the suits all together.... im not sure what BB is doing...

Probably testing out the Milano the way they did the extra slim shirts. You're right, they're slow to change, and they don't want to end up with a lot of extra inventory if something is a poor seller.

Just look at sizing availability of Milano suits online. They're relatively new (I think) but already are quite picked over. So either they're wildly popular or BB did a pretty limited run.

If you think you might like it wait for a free shipping promo (maybe there's one out there), order a couple to try and then return to the store if you don't like.

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it just seems wrong to not carry at least one style run in a high volume store....

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this was the san diego location. So its the only retail store in the entire county of san diego. I wanst to mad about BF but not having the milano at all yet was a little
ffffuuuu.gif
-i wanted to try on BF suits. Had one didn't fit, -wanted to try on cordovan loafers and biggest size in the whole place was a size 11 and not in the loafer - wanted to try on a milano suit and didnt have them - wanted to buy some ESF oxfords and they dont have them this was back in November before black Friday too...

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this was the san diego location. So its the only retail store in the entire county of san diego. I wanst to mad about BF but not having the milano at all yet was a little
ffffuuuu.gif

-i wanted to try on BF suits. Had one didn't fit,
-wanted to try on cordovan loafers and biggest size in the whole place was a size 11 and not in the loafer
- wanted to try on a milano suit and didnt have them
- wanted to buy some ESF oxfords and they dont have them

this was back in November before black Friday too...

But to be fair, in SD they probably sell a lot more golf shirts than slim fit suits. It's not exactly a suit town. In LA, the second largest store, Century City, is also sorely lacking in some of those items and the BH store took forever to even get the extra slim shirts in at all.

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
understandable but still... they want to capture the youth market but dont want to carry it...

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
understandable but still... they want to capture the youth market but dont want to carry it...

But like I said, the "youth market" in San Diego doesn't exactly embrace tailored suits, it's more the board shorts and flip flops crowd. Can't blame them for not targeting youth they don't think they can sell to.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what does BBBF stand for?

big black and beautiful? big black and beautiful female?

lol. i know i'm going to get laughed at but i want to know!

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Big Black Butt Friendly

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.2%

Forum statistics

Threads